Burma vets fight government ban over wearing of medals!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by spike7451, Jan 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Once again,Tony & his cronies is sowing his TOTAL disregard for ANYTHING Military.
    This time,the gutless wasters in Whitehall are banning Royal Ulster Rifles (RUR) Veterans of the Malasia & Burma from wearing their Medals.Words fail me! :x
    Here's the link to the story from toays Belfast Telegraph;

2. ?Burma? Not your fault Spike, but what has Burma got to do with this newspaper story?
  3. Is this a storm in a tea cup? I've got two medals awarded by foreign governments that I can't wear. As I understand it, it's been a long standing rule that they aren't to be worn on uniform e.g. kuwait medal from GW1. Besides which, if these people are all ex-service, whats to stop them wearing them where and when they want on their blazers?

Have to admit that my memory is hazy on this one. Anyone else got something more definitive?
  4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I headed the title for the post from the first paragraph of the article-

Ulster war veterans are set to defy a Government ban on wearing medals awarded to them for their role in the "forgotten wars" against rebels in the jungles of Burma and Malaysia.

If the paper got it wrong about it being Burma & Malasia instead of just Malasia,Im so sorry for mis-quoting the article. :p
  5. What a load of poo, bloke serves his cuntry and on discharge is told he can't proclaim the fact.
    Mind you a Old IRA medal earned by sumones relative is OK for Formal Parade.
    Oh Tony I luvs you. Too the death.
    Malasia, ah ya attended the Jonwilly school of edumacation. A+ Pass.
  6. What a half baked totally unresearched story. One can but hope the General was misquoted.
    I assume the medal referred to is that which the Government of Malaysia graciously offered British and Commonwealth veterans of the Malaya and BORNEO (not Burma) campaigns. The Australian and New Zealand governments accepted the award on behalf of their veterans. The British government, as ever holding their veterans in contempt, refused the award.

A bar to the 1918 GSM "Malaya" was awarded for those who served in the Malayan 'Emergency' 1948-1960 ( fighting against communist Chinese terrorists). Bars "Borneo", "Brunei" and "Malay Penninsula" were awarded for those who served in the Borneo campaign, Brunei and "Confrontation" on mainland Malaysia 1962-1966 ( fighting against Indonesia and the occasional clandestine Chinese terrorist).

The Burma theatre (CBI for the Yanks) of WW2 was fought by Brits, Indians, Gurkhas, West and East Africans, Chinese and Americans against the Japanese and was perhaps the most brutal campaign of WW2. The Burma Star, among other WW2 medals, was awarded to personnel who participated in that campaign 1941-1945. The offer of the Malaysian medal was not extended (contrary to the Belfast Telegraph's assertion) to veterans of the war in Burma.

How quickly we forget.
  7. Wrong place for this question i know, but where or who can i approach to find out about my Grandfather's Burma Star from this campaign and where can i find why he was mentioned in despatches. I cannot ask him as he died 1970's and none of the family knew he had it until after his death. Any suggestions would be appreciated
  8. The Aussies did strike their own medal for the Malaysian Campaign. This was in response to demand and annoyance that a major campaign, spread over a long time should not just be fobbed off with a bar to a GSM. Sound familiar. How NI did not qualify for its own campaign medal I do not know. It's a disgrace.

Give them a bloody medal, let them wear it and stop being a bunch of pedantic prikcs.
  9. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Contact the Burma Star Association, they should be able to point you right.
    Alternatively you could look it up in the Readng Room at the Imperial War Museum.
  10. Serving soldiers etc can wear foreign medals, but only in specific circumstances and with specific permission: e.g. those with the medal awarded by Kuwait would wear it if meeting the Kuwaiti ambassador, not to do so could be seen as an insult to Kuwait.
  11. Try contacting The Burma Star Association (burmastar.org.uk)

12. Either your mother/father can contact the Army Personnel Centre. It would help if you have your Grandfather's service number.

Army Personnel Centre,
    Historical Disclosures,
    Mailpoint 400,
    Kentigern House,
    65 Brown Street,
    Glasgow G2 8EX

For telephone enquiries, please use the number below:

Telephone: 0141 224 3515 or 0845 600 9663

Fax: 0141 224 2144

The Ministry of Defence does not normally release information from a service record to persons other than the individual concerned or their next of kin. There is a search fee for genealogical enquiries which currently stands at £25.00.
  13. Once again we have a reporter not knowing just what he is talking about. I think what he is on about is the Medal the Malaysian Government wants to award our troops during the emergency and after they took power in 1957 up to 1962