Burma Spitfires

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Artemis1, Jan 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recall this thread a while back but can't seem to find it in the search function so here's a BBC news update. Seems the team are confident they have now found the Spits and are due to start digging:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-20910980

2. I wonder if the people looking for the Burma spitfires will be any more successful than you?

3. Haha, Im using Tapatalk and it only brought up threads on Lancasters and stuff, went back to the ARRSE app instead and found them straight away! Bugger....

4. Shame.

Too good to be true, I suppose.

5. Spitfire hunting walt?

"Yesterday, the team was preparing to pack up, the sponsors claiming that there were no Spitfires at Mingaladon and hinting at frustration with Mr Cundall, who was helping supervise the dig. The farmer was refusing to comment on the failure of an expedition that has attracted publicity around the world. However, friends of his accused Wargaming of being more interested in publicity than unearthing the Spitfires, which Mr Cundall maintains are very real and waiting to be dug up."

6. I'm quite sure there are several Spitfires - and possibly the odd Mosquito - still buried in the back garden of 14 The Goebbles, Oswald Mosely Gardens, where I grew up in Skirmley-on-Scum. I doubt they'd ever fly again due to the amount of .177 rattling around in them. The pikeys might be interested though, what with the price of lead and that.