BURMA CRISIS

What the fcuk is going on??? :? 8O :?

Aid shipments stopped because the country's ruling military junta has impounded everything it has sent so far!

Aid workers deported!

Doctors and Medics deported on arrival at the airport!

50 tons of emergency food and kit left on the tarmac at the airport!

2 MILLION PEOPLE ARE NOW 5 DAYS WITHOUT FOOD/WATER, AND LYING THERE DYING THROUGH INJURY AND DISEASE WITH NO HELP AT ALL! AND 100,000 ALREADY DEAD! 8O

ABSOLUTE FOOKING DISGRACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Time the US/UK showed some real balls, and forcibly dropped aid to the 100,0000s in need, and bombed any little Hitler dictator that tried to stop them! :x

If you would like to help, please visit -
http://www.dec.org.uk/ 8)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12658744403&ref=mf 8)

As I'm sure you are aware the ruling military Junta have been unaffected by this crisis and none of their ruling generals have been injured or financially effected by this. allowing foreigners in is seen as a negative (even if it is to save human lives) because they are paranoid that the rest of the world (europe etc) will wish to topple them so their main interest is in self preservation as opposed to those who live under their rule.

shame really...
But forcibly dropping supplies is only going to antagonise them (and our military is already stretched too thin).

You can't help those who don't want help.
I have to confess to being all crisis'd out these days and simply not being that bothered. If the Burmese can afford to reject the aid then perhaps the crisis may not be as bad as is portrayed?

Utterly disgusting. The world should not stand by while people are dropping like flies. Park a few carriers off the coast (just outside territorial waters) and drop in aid by helo. In the meantime, kick it off the back of C130s and C17s. There are no aid workers there, but with satellite imagery etc it doesn't take extensive diplomacy to work out where the survivors and crisis points actually are, and to drop basics like water, high-energy foodstuffs and blankets. Ensure there are robust RoE so that, if the Burmese want to try it on, they are "discouraged".

No need for "regime change"....just a limited intervention.

jagman said:
I have to confess to being all crisis'd out these days and simply not being that bothered. If the Burmese can afford to reject the aid then perhaps the crisis may not be as bad as is portrayed?
What planet are you on? :?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I think the junta are playing it long, waiting for the liberal West to blink first and agree to send money direct to the Burmese Govt. A nice little earner that will be. The folks at the bottom will get f all of course. That's how Asia works.

NB As for the 'opposition', remember her dad worked with the Japanese.

Manchester_Events said:
jagman said:
Same planet as most of us.....they do not want our help...

seaweed said:
I think the junta are playing it long, waiting for the liberal West to blink first and agree to send money direct to the Burmese Govt. A nice little earner that will be. The folks at the bottom will get f all of course. That's how Asia works.

NB As for the 'opposition', remember her dad worked with the Japanese.
Is it not also maybe a military strategy?

Keep the aid.. let the people starve.. feed the army with the aid, then the people are too weak to rise up against the regime? hmmm

Manchester_Events said:
jagman said:
What planet are you on? You tell us that they are blocking aid, then you give us a link to donate. Yes we are really gonna give money if it does the square root of **** all to help. I hope that part was a wah.

dante242 said:
Manchester_Events said:
jagman said:
Same planet as most of us.....they do not want our help...
You need to go and have a word with yourself mate 8O

“they” are the regime. The vast population DO NEED our help! :(

Manchester_Events said:
jagman said:
One I am quite content with thankyou.
Sorry for not bawling my eyes about it all, I appreciate I should be wringing my hands in anguish, emptying my cuboards of baked beans and posting them off to Burma but I just don't feel inclined.
I would have thought what I said is self explanatory, if the Burmese government don't want the help then there isn't a great deal we can do about it is there?

jagman said:
Manchester_Events said:
jagman said:
Sorry for not bawling my eyes about it all, I appreciate I should be wringing my hands in anguish, emptying my cuboards of baked beans and posting them off to Burma but I just don't feel inclined.
I would have thought what I said is self explanatory, if the Burmese government don't want the help then there isn't a great deal we can do about it is there?
Well, i'd say yes, there is a lot we can do. The main being, putting international pressure on the Burmese Gov't, to get the aid through, or forcibly dropping aid to those who need it!

tothepubandbeyond said:
Manchester_Events said:
jagman said:
What planet are you on? You tell us that they are blocking aid, then you give us a link to donate. Yes we are really gonna give money if it does the square root of * all to help. I hope that part was a wah.
Yes, a link to donate – because at some point the regime will wake up and realise the impact this disaster actually is, and the aid will get through eventually. Although I fear, long after many more people have died, due to the inept regime there. :?

Manchester_Events said:
jagman said:
Manchester_Events said:
jagman said:
Well, i'd say yes, there is a lot we can do. The main being, putting international pressure on the Burmese Gov't, to get the aid through, or forcibly dropping aid to those who need it!
In which case the USNavy/AirForce can do all of that quite nicely without my diplomatic skills or hard earned cash.
I have enough concerns about our own government and the state of my own country (yes this one) without giving a monkeys about the Burmese one.
I'm certainly not going to contribute anything to a vague "give us money" scheme by any of the charities wanting to absorb the cash in admin and feeling good.

Dreadfully sorry but I'm just not outraged enough to give a toss. My bad

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Manchester_Events said:
jagman said:
Same planet as me

Help has been offered plus search teams etc

It has been rejected by the Goverment of Burma

Therefore leave them to it they can obviously can cope on their own

Also can you tell Stephen Fry and Kirsty whassername from Crime watch and the rest of the millionaires to stop inteupting my TV and Radio with their sad tales and begging
If they can tell the rest of their millionare mates to leave me alone then I would be grateful they can give all their money if they want I'm sure Hilary and Gordon will place more off my tax money on standbye so I don't have to pay any more

relating to Burma and charities etc. I was walking through the high street today (in order to pick up my pay) and the main route to my bank was infested by Oxfam chappies. It was like a nature program, they had adopted a decent formation in order to ensure maximum ground coverage and were picking off the weakest members of the heard trying to save the world one donation at a time.

back to the Oxfam people, they were all young hippyish students hopeing to "make a difference" (I wish I was so optimistic). So I walk through hoping not to be bothered and am cornered by the pack...like a frightened meercat I look around me only to find no escape. So I face the music and walk on to be welcomed with an "excuse me" I respond and of course they are collecting for Burma. I responded with "I'd rather not donate and prop up an evil Junta" to which this ill informed moron looks at me blank. I say with a certain self satisfaction "you dont know what a Junta is do you" he looks blank I explained and he said "we'll make sure the people get it, I said how...he didnt know. obviously Oxfam are not briefing their recruits very well as this idiot could not explain properly how they were to be given especially since Burma is turning back foreigners and refusing aid. I apologised and said I simply couldnt and walked on after this.

the charities should know what they plan on doing before collection (this could be an isolated incident but it still irritated me).

sadly there is little chance of the Burmese people receiving aid without the Junta wetting its beak.

Apparently they were given 4 days warning that it was comming, and the Junta did the total sum of jack $hit all to diseminate the warning. The countries few helicopters are being utilised to fly the Generals around the country for photo ops. All efforts are being directed towards hosting a rigged vote to enshrine the military Junta in the constitution, while enough food for 90,000 that we did get in still languishes on the Tarmac, although some has now invariably ended up as ration packs for the Burmese military.

19 million people live in that region of devastation, 2 thirds of them children, it's hot, it's wet, and awfully shitty. Not a good place to be born into when the people in charge of you actually don't give a fcuk...

Attachments

jagman said:
I'm certainly not going to contribute anything to a vague "give us money" scheme by any of the charities wanting to absorb the cash in admin and feeling good. Dreadfully sorry but I'm just not outraged enough to give a toss. My bad
SHAME ON YOU... AND YOUR CYNICISM. 8O
I agree totally.

Attachments

The Burmese military is a disgrace for the World to bare.
They stole an election and keep locked up a woman regarded as one of the worlds natural leaders.
Most aid must come in by Air or sea.
There are few roads into Burma from neighboring states and no railways.
The leadership will steal and use aid to further their own needs.
I understand aid will be accepted from India, that will have to come by air/sea also. China seems very quite on helping it's client state.
I would certainly agree withe the US airdropping aid without permision, from the fleet offshore or by heavy lift from wherever.
john