Burlesque: Art or Tart

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by 1stgulfmac, May 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So is it just stripping or is it arty. Girls go to it, so what is it?
    BBC linky thing

Go on discuss (and how long before pictures appear 'cos its not the naafi but it is tasteful!!!)

2. The way Dita Von Tease does it its definately art, and she charges 20K for 20 minutes.

3. Agreed. I've thought of many many very dirrrrrty things I'd like to do with/to her.

4. 20K :omg: You have got to be joking, I can buy two young children for that :wink:

5. To my mind, it's much more erotic than a stripper. There is still something to hope you might see. The Burlesque acts I've seen were clearly better dancers and to be honest, I'm pretty much of the mind that if I can't touch it, I'd rather not see it nude...!

6. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Oh yeah! She's tasty..ful :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. I think Burlesque is meant to be the appreciation of the female form done tastfully, whereas a stripper just flops her norks out and picks up the money when she's done (generalisation I know).
    There's a big show in Vegas now where they are gonna try and get various female celebs to star in a Burlesque show, I think Mel B is doing it at the mo. There certainly seems to be a lot of money in it.
    I think if you asked a woman what she would rather be known as; Burlesque dancer or stripper, most would go for the former. Gotta be honest, they both get the thumbs up in my book :D

8. msr

msr LE

You say that like it is a bad thing...

9. Not at all, was just discussing the difference in the two art forms....blah,blah.........given the forum we are in, it would be wrong of me to take it to last wrung of the ladder. Never been adverse to a little "loony chuckin'" I think they do fine job :eek:

10. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Burlesque is a very old art form, and was practiced a lot in the 1930s in USA. Gypsy Rose Lee was a prime star, it was around in17th century and popular in 18th in this country.
    It was eventually mutated into an American version of Music Hall entertainment, and stars such as Chaplin, Abbott and Costello Red Skelton and Bob Hope appeared. Glamour performers included Gilda Ray, Blaze Storm and Lola the Vamp!

So, maybe it is art. But fun art at that.

11. Burlesque is the art of the tease...the power of suggestion. Although, to be fair there sometimes there isnt much left to the imagination!

12. Nope all true.

13. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

If done properly is quite stimulating, and can be tasteful too.

14. The real Pussycat Dolls? They've had loads of celebrities dance with them - Christina Aguilera for one, off the top of my head.

They were in one of the Charlies Angels films too.

15. tasteful shmastful :D Seriously, I honestly doubt that I could sit through a Burlesque show and then think "Hmmm, very tasteful" "Such a lovely stage design too, don't you think?"
    Didn't realise it was the predecessor to music hall. What a weird direction to take it in.......Sexy dancing girls/Abbot and Costello? Hmm tough call.