Burglary

No idea, I made my

If you're handy with a Raspberry Pi, Python, SQL,HTML,Apache & PHP ....

I found a Python script called Probemon on the net, then developed the concept for my own amusement, adding a database and a web frontend.

There are companies doing this sort of thing, using the MAC address to track footfall around an area, like a supermarket or airport terminal.

I originally aimed towards catching the scrotes who pinch Rotax engines from aircraft, but the typical GA pilot whinges at a £10 landing fee, so there was very little interest.

I will be having an op soon, which will require at least a week recuperating, perhaps then I'll work on a pocket device with a little screen.
Put my name on the list I'll have one

When he fitted my burglar alarm the guy drilled 2 holes in the front door frame on the side opposite the lock and fitted solid metal pegs on the door so that when it's shut you've got the deadbolt into the doorframe on one side and metal pegs into the door frame on the other. He reckons it makes it a lot more difficult to kick it in.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
We have the oldest and cheapest car on our road
a 6 year old Hyundai
across the road 2 brand new high end Audis
next door a big SUV and a nice new 70K motorhome
otherside a smaller motorhome and a nice big VW SUV
all down the road big german cars
I would be surprised if they bothered us
plus we have a landshark

What a surprise
who would have thought pikeys would steal things

A friend whilst on Holiday came back to find her campervan absent from the carpark she left it in ( shopping for food)
it was 14 years old transit based and had only done 70K
of course a lightly used well serviced engine and transmission is going to be worth much more than a standard builders transit one

vanished off the face of the earth ???
4 miles away a pikey camp
I told her to get some one with a drone and overfly the place
a decent tranny engine box with ancillaries is around 3K
plus wheels and tyre
back axle springs doors seats and dashboard and switchgear battery radiator
lights
front wings
Your friends don't have much luck, do they?

Fancy locks and security doors are all well and good, but if someone really wants to get in, they'll get in. The trick is making your gaff look like a harder target than your neighbours.
We have secure by design doors and windows along with cctv cameras in the windows. We have houses ln our street with rickety old wooden doors with yale latch locks. There are easier houses to target around here which as you say is the point.

What a surprise
who would have thought pikeys would steal things

A friend whilst on Holiday came back to find her campervan absent from the carpark she left it in ( shopping for food)
it was 14 years old transit based and had only done 70K
of course a lightly used well serviced engine and transmission is going to be worth much more than a standard builders transit one

vanished off the face of the earth ???
4 miles away a pikey camp
I told her to get some one with a drone and overfly the place
a decent tranny engine box with ancillaries is around 3K
plus wheels and tyre
back axle springs doors seats and dashboard and switchgear battery radiator
lights
front wings

I'm quite handy with a drone. Reckon you could get me some work? :smile:

What many of you are missing is if that if they want to get in, they will, given the time.What you need to focus on is the attraction of your property.
Burglars tend to go for the easy options.
Dog, move on, gravel path, move on, CCTV, move on, weak fence, move on.
There are many easy goals for security....it's just going to cost you £500 a day for further advice:cool:.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Your friends don't have much luck, do they?
I did mention to her last year that campervans and caravans are being targeted and to have a tracking device installed
300 quid the cost
replacement van would be what 12 to 15 grand
I dont think she is going to replace it
both my neighbours campervans are fitted with tracking devices, the new one it was a requirement of the insurance

With classic cars i have always thought a seat cover [ mechanics type ] when not in use would be a good idea . Under which a 1/2" ply 30cm x 303m ply board can have two dozen 1" nails put through . A thin piece of foam around and some cushion material stapled around to give the impression of a booster seat .

I doubt it would be moved before being sat on by someone not in the know and would likely really make them stop .

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
With classic cars i have always thought a seat cover [ mechanics type ] when not in use would be a good idea . Under which a 1/2" ply 30cm x 303m ply board can have two dozen 1" nails put through . A thin piece of foam around and some cushion material stapled around to give the impression of a booster seat .

I doubt it would be moved before being sat on by someone not in the know and would likely really make them stop .
I used to keep my old Oxford in an old stable block, got a phone call from the lady who lived opposite, she saw a Transit parked outside on the roadway
I dropped what I was doing and shot round on my pushbike
Transit just pulling away with two fat pikeys in it
everything looked normal
till I examined the two hasps and staples
both nearly cut through with an angle grinders very neatly, would just need a crack with a prybar to finish off
I locked up me bike, and drove the Morris to a Friends house and locked it away in his barn
I stuck my Brother in laws Lada Riva in the stable block instead ( used to be mine he borrowed it and killed it)
I would have love to have seen their face when they came back and found that heap
thats when we decided to buy a house with a garage attached

SBD is a marketing thing,

your probably better off buying a leading brand product marked to the relevant BS

Parents got done over yesterday afternoon. Looks like the bastards were watching them.

Dads Omega watch that he bought in Germany in 1968 has been taken, the only saving grace is that its as rare as hens teeth. Most of mums jewellery gone as well.

Entry was via the front door with some kind of jemmy bar. SOCO & Plod seem to know who's responsible due to the MO, they used a pillowcase off mums bed to carry the property out. 15 bottles of wine and a bottle of port has gone as well, plus all of Dads underpants?? WTF..

HOWEVER, the ******** burglar has taken a big swig out of Dads Oramorph bottle, cheers for the DNA mush. Hopefully the scum get caught sooner rather than later, already told my parents that if someone is charged with the offence then the police have to let them know who they are under the Victims Charter.

I'm a bit pissed off tbh. If the identity of the offender is passed on, I've a good mind to make sure they will no longer have use of their hands for a very long time.
Go to the nearest few pawn shops and jewellers.

Tip, buy a dummy alarm box (or better still a real one) and get a cctv camera bolted to the wall real or not, i hate to say this but they almost certainly will be back.

To prevent this is impossible but you simply must think like a burglar, they don't like dogs and generally like an open space to watch movements this makes them stand out, many cars have dashcam ask around, they will also know who's car is who's, if its there your there, if its not your out.

PS i forgot to mention they also hate PVC doors and windows (and obviously keep them shut when out and only leave the upstairs one open at nights), they generally will only break a window if its round the back as its to noisey and to clumsy, i still know people who not only have wooden doors with one lock but even have the original Yale lock, you can literally pop a Yale lock by pushing your shoulder against it and barging it.

Last edited:

//Slight thread drift//

Quite some time ago there were a number of posts in a thread about 'precautions' one could take inside your house. Like the base-ball bat (if you could prove you played base-ball) etc.

Some great ideas. My current one is a stupidly bright LED torch - shine that in their eyes before you kick 10 bells out of them!

Maybe time for a new list?

//As you were//

Update.
Been given the names and location of a pair of burgling scrotes. Less than 5 minutes walk from my parents house.

Name of Baker, from St Andrews close, Pontydrhyn , Cwmbran.

An interview without coffee shall be taking place.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
if you want to really stop burglars, it is about the evidence being there to allow a successful prosecution to happen.
No.
In the UK, if you really want to stop burglars you yourself will be forced to become a law breaker.

No.
In the UK, if you really want to stop burglars you yourself will be forced to become a law breaker.
Well I hope you never get burgled, but if you do, let me know how that works out for you.

Update.
Been given the names and location of a pair of burgling scrotes. Less than 5 minutes walk from my parents house.

Name of Baker, from St Andrews close, Pontydrhyn , Cwmbran.

An interview without coffee shall be taking place.
Don't publicise, just do.
Unless scrotes manage to get through enough security to remove notifiable items, I'll not be informing insurers or Police, as I can pretty much ensure a less costly & more satisfactory outcome by "traditional" means.

One problem with burglars damage that can exceed the value of things stolen.

Back in January 1978, when the house I live in now was my mothers summer and vacation home, there was a burglary that involved the theft of some silver bowl and trays, a collection of antique porcelain items etc. The bad part was the damage. My mum turned the heat down to 55F when she was in the city and turned it up on winter weekends. The burglars went out leaving the kitchen door open when outside temps were around 10F and every pipe in the entire house froze and burst. Water got inside the kitchen walls and ceiling and as it turned to ice expanded. The place looked like a bomb had gone off with plaster and lath everywhere and a waterfall of ice down the back steps. Horrible !!

After we had the house done over an alarm system was installed which includes a temperature sensor that lets the alarm company know if the house gets cold, in addition to the usual entry, fire and movement sensors. Over here I pay $25 per month to the alarm company which is essentially nothing as an alarm system reduces my house insurance by $600 per year.

As to freezing alarms, hardware stores sell battery freezing alarms. You put them in a window visible from a street and a red strobe flashes if the temp drops to near freezing. Cheaper than alarms systems.

I never worry overly much about burglars when I am inside. I am in the US and keep a Colt 1911 Cold Cup in the nightstand drawer. Should work unless there are more than 7 burglars.