Burglary

Parents got done over yesterday afternoon. Looks like the bastards were watching them.

Dads Omega watch that he bought in Germany in 1968 has been taken, the only saving grace is that its as rare as hens teeth. Most of mums jewellery gone as well.

Entry was via the front door with some kind of jemmy bar. SOCO & Plod seem to know who's responsible due to the MO, they used a pillowcase off mums bed to carry the property out. 15 bottles of wine and a bottle of port has gone as well, plus all of Dads underpants?? WTF..

HOWEVER, the ******** burglar has taken a big swig out of Dads Oramorph bottle, cheers for the DNA mush. Hopefully the scum get caught sooner rather than later, already told my parents that if someone is charged with the offence then the police have to let them know who they are under the Victims Charter.

I'm a bit pissed off tbh. If the identity of the offender is passed on, I've a good mind to make sure they will no longer have use of their hands for a very long time.

Sorry to read that. Hopefully no physical injuries were sustained by your parents.
Burglars are surely one of the lowest form of life in our society.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
and the scum probably live nearby
most of them dont travel very far
are your parents OK ?
pop into the town and visit cash convertors and places like that
leave your details and the info on the watch
perhaps a safe is in order ?
if you ant advice PM me
I know how you feel
they did my parents some years ago, they nicked all of my brothers cameras as he was staying with them at the time
2 cheeky fellas tried to pawn a couple of Hasselblads and some other high end stuff and got caught
they missed the 17thC clock on the mantelpiece the morons

Possessions are just stuff, even if irreplacable, so long as your parents are alright.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
  1. Make sure all doors and windows are Secure By Design approved.

2. Get a safe installed sub-floor, for valuables, again SBD approved.

3. Get SBD alarm system installed, wired only. Consider paying the money to have it monitored rather than relying on neighbours.

4. Look at the external area of the property - can gates be made higher, can hedges be made pricklier, can fences be put up, and mid-access gates be installed between front and back garden.

5. CCTV - Consider it, but remember guidelines for Data Controllers and the ICO

6. Consider locks on internal doors to key areas or through-ways of the house

Be aware that if your parents have been targeted successfully, there is a high probability that they will be hit again within the next six to twelve months once they have re-stocked valuables, etc.

However as stated, at least they're okay. That's the main thing.

Safe has been bought.
Cctv ordered.
Considering buying them a four legged land shark like mine.

Theres been a spate of burglaries with the same MO according to the copper. The one thing working to our advantage is that the items nicked are very rare if not completely unique.

Just a waiting game now.

ETA. Mum & Dad are ok. The police seem to think that they disturbed the burglars when they came home. Mum is more upset about the stuff being taken that she was going to leave to my little sister and her daughter. None of dads expensive whiskys were taken and none of his aftershaves.

Last edited:
  1. Make sure all doors and windows are Secure By Design approved.

2. Get a safe installed sub-floor, for valuables, again SBD approved.

3. Get SBD alarm system installed, wired only. Consider paying the money to have it monitored rather than relying on neighbours.

4. Look at the external area of the property - can gates be made higher, can hedges be made pricklier, can fences be put up, and mid-access gates be installed between front and back garden.

5. CCTV - Consider it, but remember guidelines for Data Controllers and the ICO

6. Consider locks on internal doors to key areas or through-ways of the house

Be aware that if your parents have been targeted successfully, there is a high probability that they will be hit again within the next six to twelve months once they have re-stocked valuables, etc.

However as stated, at least they're okay. That's the main thing.
CCTV for home use is outwith government regulation.
To the OP, any security measure is only designed to delay or deter. If you fit internal locks in the house, if they do come back, they'll only cause more damage.
Was it alarmed?

No alarm.
All the neighbours now curtain twitching to the max. Its a very quiet street, dead end as well.
Some have cctv further down and plod are looking at that.

If there is a visible deterrent then it might make them think twice and pick an easier target. I'm part of an extremely large extended family, all of them are after the blood of the scrote who's done this tbh.

We had a burglary some years ago. We had an internal lock fitted to one door which just aroused the burglar's curiosity so they kicked it in.

Because it was an old house and the doors were a weird size we had to have a joiner come and repair the bit that was damaged. It cost more than an ordinary new door would have cost.

The caught them the same day and I went down and picked all the stuff they'd nicked up the next morning.

Sorry to hear about this. Statistically, burglars often return several months later so the precautions that other posters and you've mentioned are a good investment.

I hope they do get their stuff back.

My brother got burgled some years ago. He got home from the pub and as he was walking up his stairs to the bedroom, one of them was walking down the stairs towards him until they both realised the other person was there.

My brother run back out of the front door and the three burglars left by an upstairs back window. His stuff was all laid out on the bed ready to be scooped into a bag. The police turned up but they didn't really do much. The next morning, he walked into a local Tesco's and bumped into the guy he had seen on his stairs the previous evening.

He called the police who arrested the guy and took him away. The thief's family were virtually digging up their dead grandmother and other dead family members to give evidence to the police that the young burglar had been at home all evening and couldn't have possibly been in my brothers house.

He was set free. It was my brothers word against the burglars word and there wasn't any other evidence to prove his guilt.

Six months later, they returned during the day while my brother was out, smashed the front door in and took what they had left behind on the bed on the first occasion. They were watching the house because my brother had been indoors all day and then only went out for an hour. That was all the time they needed.

On the second occasion, the police didn't even bother turning up. They gave him a crime number over the phone and told him to claim on his insurance.

He's had camera's etc put in since because if you want to really stop burglars, it is about the evidence being there to allow a successful prosecution to happen.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Unfortunately the police seem to be pretty much on strike regarding “minor” crimes like theft now.

Even if they do spend weeks trying to catch the villains, they’ll probably get a suspended sentence or community order. So what’s the point?

Last year my cousin had a fairly rare and valuable Ferrari nicked. He makes his living buying and selling cars and had pretty much put all his eggs in one basket with this one. He’s not a wealthy man and this hit him very hard.

It was being serviced at an independent garage. The crooks had seen it the previous week at a big show at the NEC and put a tracker on it. At about 6am on a Sunday morning they drove into the industrial estate where the garage was, ripped the door off, moved 2 or 3 other Ferraris to get to his, grabbed the keys out of the safe and fucked off.

We have clear as day CCTV of the crime taking place. Face images of the 3 blokes involved and prints and DNA.

The car was stripped and listed on German eBay within a week. Parts of which are still for sale. We can tell it’s from his car because it had some unique and very rare options like carbon ceramic brakes and carbon seats etc.

A ******* child could work out who did it such is the evidence. We’ve been able to work it out just using social media and the internet.

Over a year down the line still no arrests and police are no longer investigating it.

Great.

Sorry to hear that. Don't hold your breath on a conviction though. I was done over and they got a sole print (as good as a fingerprint according to SOCO at my gaff) they arrested the bloke WEARING THE SAME TRAINERS 100% match. CPS wouldn't take it to trial based on that.

Sad news indeed, we were robbed twice by the neighbour (didnt know he was a smack head at the time). Little cnut got a reduced sentence for admitting the burglaries. Aside from the fact that I have never slept as well (sans beer) as I did before the home invasions, no harm done......never forget the daft copper asking me if the Lee Enfield my dad left when he did one was decommissioned...yes of course was all it took.

Got the land shark with the intent that if there was a threat she would let us know so I could sleep again, bitch is so attuned to whats going on she barks when the bloke over the road has a cigarette 4 times per night! bugger the burglers I want a good nights sleep.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just out of interest what sort of security measures are people employing to ward off light fingered scrotes?

My house and garage are fully belled up and we have 3 soft as shite dogs which would at least alert us in the event of a break in. However it’s an old house with rickety ancient windows and doors that would pose absolutely no difficulty to a thief.

Anyone put CCTV in? Is it worth it? What are the chances of conviction?

Not overly worried about the farm because we have cnuts like this freely wondering around.

AF433E83-6B97-4022-BD92-293F2BF2CE00.jpeg

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Unfortunately the police seem to be pretty much on strike regarding “minor” crimes like theft now.

Even if they do spend weeks trying to catch the villains, they’ll probably get a suspended sentence or community order. So what’s the point?

Last year my cousin had a fairly rare and valuable Ferrari nicked. He makes his living buying and selling cars and had pretty much put all his eggs in one basket with this one. He’s not a wealthy man and this hit him very hard.

It was being serviced at an independent garage. The crooks had seen it the previous week at a big show at the NEC and put a tracker on it. At about 6am on a Sunday morning they drove into the industrial estate where the garage was, ripped the door off, moved 2 or 3 other Ferraris to get to his, grabbed the keys out of the safe and fucked off.

We have clear as day CCTV of the crime taking place. Face images of the 3 blokes involved and prints and DNA.

The car was stripped and listed on German eBay within a week. Parts of which are still for sale. We can tell it’s from his car because it had some unique and very rare options like carbon ceramic brakes and carbon seats etc.

A ******* child could work out who did it such is the evidence. We’ve been able to work it out just using social media and the internet.

Over a year down the line still no arrests and police are no longer investigating it.

Great.
Classic car theft is a massive business now, as are high end car and motorcycles, a mate saw a garage full of British registered motorcycles in Latvia last year, went to get his phone out to take a snap and the doors banged shut
if you own a high end car you need a decent tracker fitted, and a cheap one for them to find
round here a classic car vanished last month, fitted with a tracker that was found in a ditch a mile away, the muppet fitted it behind the glove box, the first place they look
best way to deter crims it to watermark stuff, buy an engraver and engrave post code and name on everything, I do that for bicycles and motorcycles and tools and kit, make the place look not worth robbing
keep high end motor cars out of view, and covered if in the garages , so they cant see through the cracks
bloke round here has about 5 high end cars all on view in a massive garage block glazed on the sides and always illuminated ???
keep motorcycles and quad bikes out of sight when not being used, and chained to an eyebolt in the floor
for power tools, hedge trimmers stone saws etc, build a secure room with steel cabinets bolted down and everything locked away
CCTV is worthwhile but only if you get a decent system and one that can communicate to your phone if it detects movement, also pings if you are in the house and IDs the movement area

fit sensors to your oil tanks to detect a sudden drop in heating oil ( pikies drilling the side)
keep vehicles locked and put the keys away some where safe under lock and key
loads of places I visit have a landie or volvo sitting around with keys in the ignition
fit mechanical barriers in yards to prevent vehicles moving freely, locking gates or posts
buy a top quality drone, and program it to over fly your property, a mate does that with his farm, takes about 20 minutes, but its surprising what it shows up, odd people walking about, vans parked near to buildings, and vehicles parked on his land out of sight of the house
a cheap IR scope is also worth having

Last edited:
IMG-20180814-WA0014.jpg

1 x very territorial, very aggressive land shark. Anyone comes past the front gate he's waiting, teeth bared , hackles up ready to take on all comers.

Latest Threads