Burger Buns

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Judge Judy, Aug 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Completely fed up with the utterly shit buns from supermarkets, plain, dry and solid, utter bollocks. Tried home made brioche buns but far too heavy so instead I've been using shop bought ciabatta buns, lightly toasted, splash of olive oil - job done. However, I went to the MEATmarket in Covent Garden last week and their buns were top dollar, soft, flavoursome, tasted of bread, nice colour and all that but the Doris was cagey about where they came from. Does anyone have any decent recipes for buns or know where in Londinium they can be bought from?

2. Aldi do nice buns
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We make our own in the breadmaker and finish off in the oven, usual bread mix and simple!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
  4. If you bake your own put a tray of water at the bottom of the oven for beautifully soft buns, fnarr fnarr!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I make them myself making bread is easy. I do use the breadmaker sometimes, knead and let rise. Bung in the oven.
    Most supermarket bread is frozen that's why it's so dry, it's warmed up in store then baked.
  6. Yeah, have no dramas making bread, do it all the time (without a breadmaker so ner) but I can't find a decent recipe for burger buns or a decent supplier that sells them.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Use normal bread recipe, it does work!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
  8. Try the fresh- baked cheese topped buns at LIDL

29p each, absolutely awesome....... lozenge shaped, so pat the burgers into the same shape before cooking.

A weekly treat now on Saturday on the weekly shop.... best ever tasted.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Another tip for stale loaves or french sticks..... turn then under a cold tap for a few seconds, then wrap in foil and cook at 180c for 5- 10 minutes, depending on thickness, wrapped in foil.

Take out, remove the foil, then return to the oven for 5- 10 minutes until hot and crusty..... good as new.
  10. 2007_072120070074.jpg Apart from proving//baking time about 10 minutes effort required.Make your own burgers as well and you're laughing all the way to being a fat bastard.You may even win the lottery.
  11. By heck, what did you do to them?! They look terrible!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. There is few recipes knocking about, ds solution vary the water to yeast ratio until you perfect them.

Traditional Scottish Recipes - White Rolls

Now all you have to do is find square sausage to enjoy with a tattie scone.
  13. Chucked red onion and cheese in the dough.
  14. i do the same but throw water on a heated tray just as i shut the door so the steam is there from the start.