Bungees, a new threat ?

On a recent kit list I noticed the phrase "no bungies attached" has now appeared next to the entries for poncho or basha. Anyone got any ideas where this has come from ? Or why ? Did some fuckwit get a scratch and now we'll be getting bungee safety as a new MATT ?

I'll pack some green string in case this means they're now totally verboten. Mind you, if they're not how does attaching them on site change anything ? Maybe I'll leave them attached and revel in the delicious thrill of defying authority. (Be still my beating heart.)

PS I would ask my PSI but he's a busy man and I can't be bothered.

wedge_cadman

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Obviously the H&S Nazis have been rewriting the list, turn up with said bungees attached and a pair of ballistic glasses and claim to have "done the course, haven't you?" ;)

Germany 1999, my mucker threw his camnet from the cab of his 8 tonner with a bungee attached, it stretched, flew back and caught him just below his right eye, rupturing his eyeball. He now has two pupils in one eye. Bungees are evil.

I tend not to use bungees on my basha anyway, I much prefer para cord....bungees stretch with the wind catching the basha, paracord doesn't.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think it probably has more to do with the problem of the bungees unravelling in the bergen and getting caught on all manner of shite.

God knows, I can't imagine why. I will however say that I have always found it quicker and easier to attach them in the field though, or they do tend to get caught up, snagged, etc.

I used to love watching the new recruits with their Wendy Houses, bungees going -everywhere-. Don't worry about Diana and all that landmine bollocks, just get a couple of crows to erect some ponchos with only bungees. No ******'s getting through that. :)

I think it probably has more to do with the problem of the bungees unravelling in the bergen and getting caught on all manner of shite.

God knows, I can't imagine why. I will however say that I have always found it quicker and easier to attach them in the field though, or they do tend to get caught up, snagged, etc.

I used to love watching the new recruits with their Wendy Houses, bungees going -everywhere-. Don't worry about Diana and all that landmine bollocks, just get a couple of crows to erect some ponchos with only bungees. No ******'s getting through that. :)
I used to allways have them attached, but I tend to use the basher more for casvac then dossing under, with the bungee's attached they get caught up in everything.