Bungees, a new threat ?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by One_of_the_strange, Sep 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On a recent kit list I noticed the phrase "no bungies attached" has now appeared next to the entries for poncho or basha. Anyone got any ideas where this has come from ? Or why ? Did some fuckwit get a scratch and now we'll be getting bungee safety as a new MATT ?

I'll pack some green string in case this means they're now totally verboten. Mind you, if they're not how does attaching them on site change anything ? Maybe I'll leave them attached and revel in the delicious thrill of defying authority. (Be still my beating heart.)

PS I would ask my PSI but he's a busy man and I can't be bothered.
  2. I thought that was a cadet thing. Havnet herd anything the likes of it in my unit and we also got issued a few bungees.
  3. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Obviously the H&S Nazis have been rewriting the list, turn up with said bungees attached and a pair of ballistic glasses and claim to have "done the course, haven't you?" ;)
  4. Germany 1999, my mucker threw his camnet from the cab of his 8 tonner with a bungee attached, it stretched, flew back and caught him just below his right eye, rupturing his eyeball. He now has two pupils in one eye. Bungees are evil.
  5. I tend not to use bungees on my basha anyway, I much prefer para cord....bungees stretch with the wind catching the basha, paracord doesn't.
  6. I think they mean permanently attaching your bungees to your basha.
  7. Are you qualified to use para cord, or do you mean hat cord?
  8. I humbly apologise.......to my shame it's only hat cord.....I'm a para cord walt....shoot me now.
  9. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

I think it probably has more to do with the problem of the bungees unravelling in the bergen and getting caught on all manner of shite.

God knows, I can't imagine why. I will however say that I have always found it quicker and easier to attach them in the field though, or they do tend to get caught up, snagged, etc.

I used to love watching the new recruits with their Wendy Houses, bungees going -everywhere-. Don't worry about Diana and all that landmine bollocks, just get a couple of crows to erect some ponchos with only bungees. No ******'s getting through that. :)
  10. I used to allways have them attached, but I tend to use the basher more for casvac then dossing under, with the bungee's attached they get caught up in everything.
  11. Not cadets either. That was just an urban myth.

As said, I think it just means "Dont physically attach bungees to your basha!"
  12. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

13. The myth bit is the 'banning of'. My sector TSA simply wants bungees in the RA as a trip hazard. Then you can bungee up to your hearts content.
  14. fair enough i just remembr as a cadet getting a bollocking from a certin person in 34 CTT for using them but havent had any dramas wih them in my Ta unit.
  15. I completely agree with that. If a cadet loses an eye, for some reason the law prefer it if you saw it coming and wrote 'Tell cadets to be careful' in the risk assessment.