Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Grumblegrunt, Jun 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

2. As a Septic arrser I regret to admit that the representation about Obama's attitude on this is probably accurate. The Chosen One was elected with zero experience or knowledge of foreign policy.

I feel compelled to add for the many arrsers who bashed Bush(43) and welcomed The Chosen One that there is truth in the old saying "Be careful what you wish for...."
    • Like Like x 2

3. I have to say, Bush was an idiot, and so is Obama...and no doubt the next one will be as well. However, if Argentina did do the nasty, I would expect the US to commit military support to Britain as we have done in its last two wars.
  4. More likely to exert 'severe' diplomatic pressure and put forward a UN resolution condemning Argentine aggression. Russia and China will use their veto as they fall over each other to get in pole position for Argentina's new found natural resources.
  5. Why don't we pre-empt the movement, and invade Argentina?
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Ah, the Maggie Thatcher school of thought.
  7. Because we have no ships or planes so by the time Ryan Air have dropped us off in Chile and we've spent 3 days driving to the border I think they might be ready for us.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Disguised as a package tour, they won't see it coming until its far too late.

9. I would prefer that then the Blair lets get involved in needless wars school of thought.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. We'd better stock up on flammable liquids at the duty free to make molotov cocktails then as our weapons will end up in Benidorm.....
  11. I'm not quite sure I agree with that - even if the Argies managed to suddenly mount an invasion without any warning, I really can't see that they would have any answer to the Typhoon.

However, if - and it's a big if - they managed to invade, there's **** all we could do to dislodge them, other than bombing the crap out of the mainland in the hope that they capitulate.
  12. I used to have a mental image of Blair dressed as General Haig re-enacting that scene from Blackadder. A dustpan full of expendable soldiers to build his ego upon.
  13. Conveniently ignoring that the Argentines do not have anywhere near the ability to invade the islands, let alone sustain them, nor do so in the face of the very considerable defences already in place. More to the point, by the time they did have such a capability, CVF will be in service and all the carrier fanatics can surely rest easy knowing that a fixed wing CV would have prevented the Falklands back in 82?

It may come as a shock to some armchair admirals, but the point of British Defence policy is not to maintain the assets needed to recapture the Falklands. It is to prevent us from getting tothe situation where we lose them again in the first place!
  14. Spics retake the Falklands?

Game, set and f**king outmatched.
    • Like Like x 1