Bullying - Surely Not

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Percy, Nov 16, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst scanning a little known website based in Scotland I found the following link:

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/2112383082/show/230561

I've lost count the number of times I've seen Depot staff accused of bullying when they are robustly turning boys into soldiers. What is the BBC up to?? :twisted: :twisted:

2. I like John Shonfeild's response to the BBC post:

I was in the army for 11yrs and i never saw any bullying.. sure if i screwed up my SGT Maj would take me round the back and give me a slap.. or we would all go through the initial few months micky taking and leg pulling when you are a sprog in the new unit.... but is that bullying? Dont be stupid. The army is becoming increasing full of girls these days.. you shout at a sprog and he'll report you to the euro poofs court of human rights or something. Are we the British army.. or the girl guides? Yeah go on.. lets all report bullying and unfair treatment.. lets tarnish the reputation of our armed forces even more.... lets all lets those sick jounalists about diffy kit... all they want is to make money out of making the British army look stupid... dont do it lads...they are scum!
    Email: jshonfield@yahoo.com

3. I think that there has always been bullying in the Army. As there is in civi street. Deepcut has been picked on by the media, but I would say Catterick & other training depots are just as bed:

Extract from: http://groups.msn.com/158RLC/deepcut.msnw

I am not saying all suicides are bullying related. I am sure some would have still done it, had they not joined up! I think it is a tendency with some people to harm themselves. But do not think the Armed Forces are Whiter than White is all I am saying:

http://groups.msn.com/158RLC/deepcut.msnw
    Sarah Hall, political correspondent
    Saturday August 28, 2004
    The Guardian

4. When I joined the Apprentice's School at Arborfield, one of the first, (and least), introductions to life, was being invited to push a boot-polish tin the length of the centre-deck with my nose stuck in the polish. I was urged to greater speed by a senior apprentice kicking me up the arrse. I managed to survive that, and a lot more, and ended up doing about 24 years. None of it mattered, none of it turned me bitter and twisted, (well, not a lot), and none of it made me go weeping to someone in authority. WTF is wrong with the sprogs now? Can't they hack it?

5. in a word nutstrangler no .......... and yes , ........... but mainly no.

6. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

Bullying - this is a relative term.

I joined boy service in the mid 60s and some of the things and events that I had to put up with would nowadays be classified as bullying. There were times that I was treated harshly - I deserved it.

We should not look too harshly at how things are looked at today. It seems to me that the boys in BW, and all those others in theatre, seems to be doing a good job in this non-bullying time.

7. This bullying scare has already gotten riduclous and will only end up destroying people's careers.

Case in point:

When at Cattrick, one of my section comds, great bloke, BW Cpl, will go far, was accused by one of our scrots of bullying. Now said BW Cpl was an enthusatic individual who also taught a bit of unarmed combat, so we (Sgt and I) thought that perhaps this was the wee boy taking a demo the wrong way. Marched him in, asked his side of the story, not too impressed with it and suggested that he was over-reacting, stop being pathetic and get on with it. Nope, he was having none of it.

Said scrot calls Mummy, who happens to be a barristar, who then calls CO at Cattrick, who over-reacts (IMHO) and calls in the OC and gives him a roasting. OC suitably p*ssed off, calls in me and Sgt and does the old "give it to me straight routine". We said we did not believe that their was a case to answer for but told to wait in hall whilst OC sees Cpl (without coffee). Cpl holds up well, but doubts remain so OC has to call in scrot and under questioning he admits that NOTHING HAPPENED. He just wants out!

Ahhhhhhhhh. Anyway, classic roasting from OC (then from CSM, which was great to watch) who hit the roof and scrot was gone. OC then calls us all in and explains he had no choice, which of course, is correct and he didn't. HOWEVER, the CO then of course has doubts and no surprise, but we and said Cpl, were watched that much closer.

8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Isn't that sweet ! Mummy's boy got his way in the end, bet he'd always been used to that ! :evil:

So the jack barstard decided he'd the right to try to ruin the career of a better man just so he could get back to mummy ?

I hope she bought him a nice motor as a welcome home present and he managed to top himself by smashing it into something inamimate !

I've no time for jumped up little h**ns with no thought of anyone but themselves !

:evil:

9. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

posted in reply:

10. i think a bit of 'robust' messing about could be good fun... but when does it become bullying??... can anyone define it????

is it when the person doing the initiation rite or whatever isn't laughing as well??? or what?

11. "Bullying" was the best way of getting rid of the wasters going through training. If they couldn't put up with the crap at depot they would never make it in the army for real.

Bullying is a justifiable way, as is suicide, of offing the unsuitable wasters.

Committing suicide is proof of just how unsuitable a person is for the army.

12. No it isn't. A robust, but fair, training regime is.

13. But in having to be fair, it means that wasters get through. The isn't and never will be "fair".

MODS, WHO ADDED THIS TO MY POST, I DIDN'T WRITE IT:

No matter how high you set the benchmark someone will always just about scrape it, so at what point does pushing people out because they are on the line cease?

Personally I would rather have a soldier who is giving 100% and just making it under my command than someone who breezes through without caring. There has to be a balance and the culture should be about bringing people along who try hard as they will ultimately suceed. Those that don't try and are wasters the system should deal with and eject, but not by his platoon taking him round the back and filling him in on a daily basis until he "gets the message" while the DS look on. That doesn't produce good soldiers, it produces soldiers that can't tell the difference between effective soldiering and thuggery. If you want to know how the Lyndie England's of this world do what she did, look at the training system that instills the values.

14. I'm sorry, but I can't agree with you. An individual may not be the world's best soldier in subjective terms. But if he has passed all of his ITDs, then the 'fair' and objective decision is that he should pass out.

15. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

I totally agree. No matter how high you set the benchmark someone will always just about scrape it, so at what point does pushing people out because they are on the line cease?

Personally I would rather have a soldier who is giving 100% and just making it under my command than someone who breezes through without caring. There has to be a balance and the culture should be about bringing people along who try hard as they will ultimately suceed. Those that don't try and are wasters the system should deal with and eject, but not by his platoon taking him round the back and filling him in on a daily basis until he "gets the message" while the DS look on. That doesn't produce good soldiers, it produces soldiers that can't tell the difference between effective soldiering and thuggery. If you want to know how the Lyndie England's of this world do what she did, look at the training system that instills the values.