Bullying, harassment and discrimination of women in the military, House of Commons inquiry.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Feel free to lock and remove if there's already a thread on this, but I couldn't find one (with the exception of Army headline of the day, which doesn't really count).

Various news outlets have reported on this:

Link to the original report:

Their data is annoyingly incomplete about proportions of various complaints - it says that 47% are bullying, harassment and discrimination (BHD) and goes into some detail there, but not what the other 53% are. Serious sexual assaults? Bad food? It's pretty difficult to get a full picture without those missing details, and lends itself to misrepresentation. Part of this may well be because the MOD and justice systems are particularly opaque about collecting such details.

Interesting to note that, in common with almost all such reports, it's highly skeptical of the military justice system's ability to either deliver justice or even just basic competencies. Also a damning verdict on the complaints system - of those who have used it, the vast majority (38%) gave it the lowest rating of extremely poor, with less than 10% rating it average or above!

Opinions welcome, as well as no doubt some that are unwelcome.
 

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don't believe the article, Truxx told us that when women started coming through into the regular army that the reality was that no one noticed.

There can't be any problems.
 
Feel free to lock and remove if there's already a thread on this, but I couldn't find one (with the exception of Army headline of the day, which doesn't really count).

Various news outlets have reported on this:

Link to the original report:

Their data is annoyingly incomplete about proportions of various complaints - it says that 47% are bullying, harassment and discrimination (BHD) and goes into some detail there, but not what the other 53% are. Serious sexual assaults? Bad food? It's pretty difficult to get a full picture without those missing details, and lends itself to misrepresentation. Part of this may well be because the MOD and justice systems are particularly opaque about collecting such details.

Interesting to note that, in common with almost all such reports, it's highly skeptical of the military justice system's ability to either deliver justice or even just basic competencies. Also a damning verdict on the complaints system - of those who have used it, the vast majority (38%) gave it the lowest rating of extremely poor, with less than 10% rating it average or above!

Opinions welcome, as well as no doubt some that are unwelcome.
Straight female soldiers used to tell me of extreme bullying from the gay female soldiers.
Yes I did inform senior ranks and was told to to leave it
 
When the headlines come out with the usual b@llux about how much an enquiry has cost, as if all the investigators weren't already on salary and the resources and facilities weren't already in existence. The MPs involved and their staff, however, do fill their boots.
Just another excuse to get to the trough.
 
Straight female soldiers used to tell me of extreme bullying from the gay female soldiers.
Yes I did inform senior ranks and was told to to leave it

Likewise. The Central Ordnance Depots seemed to be haven for the bendys and they had their own well defined pecking order - irrespective of military rank.

We had our shops quietly tucked away in CODs and Supply Sub-Depots so we got to know quite a few of the girls on the postings circuit. You very quickly found out which ones were game for a laugh, which ones to stay away from, and those who didn't care.

Generally the girls were never treated badly, or harassed by the blokes, just the usual abuse that everyone gets. As for discrimination; back then they had their own promotion ladder anyway so they could not be discriminated against in favour of any blokes.

You also have to make sure that any complaints are for work, and working hours, and not whinges about being given a hard time in the NAAFI on a Friday, or Saturday night. Totally different kettle of fish in off duty hours.
 

ACAB

LE
Feel free to lock and remove if there's already a thread on this, but I couldn't find one (with the exception of Army headline of the day, which doesn't really count).

Various news outlets have reported on this:

Link to the original report:

Their data is annoyingly incomplete about proportions of various complaints - it says that 47% are bullying, harassment and discrimination (BHD) and goes into some detail there, but not what the other 53% are. Serious sexual assaults? Bad food? It's pretty difficult to get a full picture without those missing details, and lends itself to misrepresentation. Part of this may well be because the MOD and justice systems are particularly opaque about collecting such details.

Interesting to note that, in common with almost all such reports, it's highly skeptical of the military justice system's ability to either deliver justice or even just basic competencies. Also a damning verdict on the complaints system - of those who have used it, the vast majority (38%) gave it the lowest rating of extremely poor, with less than 10% rating it average or above!

Opinions welcome, as well as no doubt some that are unwelcome.
And so have most men.

So the point of posting this was??????
 

Awol

LE
I don’t believe it. ‘Abuse’ these days can be anything from full on gang rape (never happened, nor will it), to being told to go to the back of the line at scoff.

Firstly, and I know this sounds naff, most squaddies are simply decent people, and secondly, in a barrack environment anyone doing anything like raping a girl would be found out within hours, it’s inevitable in such a close environment.

Everyone these days has to be a victim, and it’s much too easy to chuck mud without consequences.
 
Last edited:
I don’t believe it. ‘Abuse’ these days can be anything from full on gang rape (never happened, nor will it), to being told to go to the back of the line at scoff.

Firstly, and I know this sounds naff, most squaddies are simply decent people, and secondly, in a barrack environment anyone doing anything like raping a girl would be found out in hours, it’s inevitable in such a close environment.

Everyone these days has to be a victim, and it’s much too easy to chuck mud without consequences.

The only gang rape I ever knew of was a group of female soldiers onto another female soldier who did not want to succumb to their advances. I was told that items used included a broomstick and a lightbulb, and that the lightbulb broke.

I had 5 postings in 11 years. All the postings were mixed sex, and I never saw anything thing out of hand that involved blokes agin the girls apart from the usual boyfriend/girlfriend stuff. Nowadays I hear nothing but praise for the girls who worked as medics in places and do some of the other dirty jobs that used to be blokes only.
 
Last edited:
The only gang rape I ever knew of was a group of female soldiers onto another female soldier who did not want to succumb to their advances. I was told that items used included a broomstick and a lightbulb, and that the lightbulb broke.
What happened. Did they go to prison?
 
What happened. Did they go to prison?

Dunno. The lassie involved was at our place about 4, or 5, years after the incident, promoted soon to be a Sgt, good career in front of her and married to a male soldier who was also on his way up the ladder. Not something she talked about, understandably, it was pretty well known about in the Depot though, and a couple of our blokes had been at the place where it happened at the time. Give her some credit though she never used to give the bendys at work a hard time unless they deserved it.
 
Dunno. The lassie involved was at our place about 4, or 5, years after the incident, promoted soon to be a Sgt, good career in front of her and married to a male soldier who was also on his way up the ladder. Not something she talked about, understandably, it was pretty well known about in the Depot though, and a couple of our blokes had been at the place where it happened at the time. Give her some credit though she never used to give the bendys at work a hard time unless they deserved it.
They should have thrown the book at them and given them time. It would have happened if the offences were by male soldiers and quite right too.
 
Never came across any mistreatment of female soldiers, on the contrary they were treated a shite sight better than the men in most circumstances.

Some played up to this but the majority were very good and a few I'd have had in my detachment over a number of the blokes.

The only problem encountered with the fairer sex was one of the Troops where they all started leaving their respective partners and shacking up with each other. Mostly SNCO's if I recall. The TSM and his squeeze sold their story to I think The News of the World. Why they weren't hoofed out I'll never know though I'm sure they had an interview sans coffee.
 
Never came across any mistreatment of female soldiers, on the contrary they were treated a shite sight better than the men in most circumstances.

Some played up to this but the majority were very good and a few I'd have had in my detachment over a number of the blokes.

The only problem encountered with the fairer sex was one of the Troops where they all started leaving their respective partners and shacking up with each other. Mostly SNCO's if I recall. The TSM and his squeeze sold their story to I think The News of the World. Why they weren't hoofed out I'll never know though I'm sure they had an interview sans coffee.
Was it Signals or RLC that hit the news a few years back when a young female subbie not long out of RMAS was shagging her married Troop Staffie. Turned out that he was showing her the ropes in more ways than one.
 
Was it Signals or RLC that hit the news a few years back when a young female subbie not long out of RMAS was shagging her married Troop Staffie. Turned out that he was showing her the ropes in more ways than one.
It happens a lot.
 

Awol

LE
I don’t believe it. ‘Abuse’ these days can be anything from full on gang rape (never happened, nor will it), to being told to go to the back of the line at scoff.

Firstly, and I know this sounds naff, most squaddies are simply decent people, and secondly, in a barrack environment anyone doing anything like raping a girl would be found out in hours, it’s inevitable in such a close environment.

Everyone these days has to be a victim, and it’s much too easy to chuck mud without consequences.
I’d be interested to know why, after 10 days, both @Tappet and @oscar1whisky writhin a suspiciously short 2 hour window, both laid a ‘disagree, upon the above post.

I certainly don’t mind the ‘disagree’, after all , I invented/suggested it a decade ago, because the only negative icons on Arrse at the time were ‘dumb’ and the BS pile of steaming poo.

I thought that both of these were unnecessarily aggressive and there was a need for something that simply pointed out a disagreement, without both members being sucked into an inevitable slanging match.

So, back to my post.Disregarding for a moment the fact that ‘two’ posters suddenly decided to disagree with me at pretty much the same time, after ten days of Virtual silence, my question is ‘what do they disagree with’?


My only point was that gang rape might occur in a barrack environment (as it can occur anywhere) but there is no way that it could be kept a secret.

A point that I still stand by.
 
My only point was that gang rape might occur in a barrack environment (as it can occur anywhere) but there is no way that it could be kept a secret.

A point that I still stand by.
full on gang rape (never happened, nor will it),

I guess that @oscar1whisky and I read the thread at similar times. A MOD can conform (probably) that we're not the same poster. I saw the thread appear in the recent posts section after someone else posted on it (look at the time of Par Avion's post, then the time that I disagreed with your post).

You appear to have shifted your claim from "never happened, nor will it" to "might occur".

I disagreed that a gang rape would not happen. There have been allegations of it in the past, and it is quite within the realm of possibilities that it could happen in the future. Whilst I was serving there was a bloke who had allegedly been held down and raped with a broom handle by a couple of others.
 

Latest Threads

Top