BULLSHIT PRIZE 2015 - ACIN: 04/15 CGS' Conference Report

What happened to the ABC of staffwork (accuracy, brevity, clarity)? Even by contemporary standards, I have not read a piece of staffwork so castrated by utter bullshit and meaningless jargon as this paper.

Examples:

Rebuild readiness. Guided by the Army Readiness Order apply genuine pan-METS rigour to readiness, placing a high priority on agility and adaptability, recognizing that readiness is now more nuanced – hence persistent engagement.

Use Integrated Action as our capstone approach
. Integrated Action gives us the best chance of prevailing in an era of constant competition amid an ever-evolving information environment.

What is 'integrated action' and how does it differ from cooperation (a principle of almost everything), combined ops and even Joint ops?

Invest in the Divisional level of command. The Army is sized for the divisional level of command. The division is modular, scalable and integrated. Its C2 is a capability in its own right.

C2 is a capability in its own right but, say, logistic sp or engr sp aren't? So you couldn't use them independently for flood relief, for example, unlike C2?

Despite the strong competition, I can't remember a paper as full of shit as this one. When will generals and their staff bitches stop sharing notebooks with management consultant and NHS managers and start speaking to the military properly?

D

Deleted 60082

Oh dear - written by an ACSC graduate who took the course seriously. Imagine (if one can) what great military leaders of the past would think. What would Marlborough, Nelson, Wellington, Monty Templar think of this?

D

Deleted 60082

And this just in:

Chief of the General Staff, General Sir Nick Carter recently outlined his vision for the future structure of the Army.

The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst the Army’s home of leadership was the venue chosen by CGS to announce his vision for the future of the Army at the annual Army Conference.

In his keynote speech CGS outlined his future intent for the Army, stressing the need for the Army to: fight and operate smarter; maximize its talent and improve its match fitness. Highlights included the importance of seeing through Army 2020, rebuilding readiness and adopting a strategic approach to what he described as persistent engagement. Acknowledging the importance of our people, he stated that the Army must utilize and attract talent by modernizing career structures, broaden the Army traditional recruiting ground and strengthening the culture so all talent can thrive.

CGS also announced a new operating model for the Army which sees a new 3* structure that formally separates strategy and policy from delivery. This will free those responsible for delivery of current capability to execute effectively and will allow those responsible for strategy to operate far enough out to exercise flexibility in delivering future capability.

Supporting this revised structure will be an improved command culture with an emphasis on an updated set of values and standards and a reinvigorated and formalized membership of the General Staff for all officers of the rank of Colonel and above.

Critical to supporting the chain of command in enforcing these standards will be the Army’s first Command Sergeant Major, Warrant Officer Class One Glen Haughton of the Grenadier Guards who will assume the new post in the Spring.

General Carter summarised the conference by saying,

“Our goal is to be regarded as a confident, valued and adaptable institution with clearly understood utility and productivity – we are indispensible to the nation. Our purpose is clear: we protect the UK, fight the UK’s enemies, prevent conflict and deal with disaster.

The same soldier who does all this also secures the Olympic Park, rescues Mrs Jones from her flooded house, does not question a deployment to fight Ebola in Sierra Leone, or complain when asked to cover for the firemen and ambulance drivers during his weekend. All this underpinned by unlimited liability, loyalty and exemplary values and standards.”

My highlights...what on Earth does this mean?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I'll translate it into English for you.
rebuilding readiness and adopting a strategic approach to what he described as persistent engagement.

We'll be able to fight a small war at short notice.
strengthening the culture so all talent can thrive.

We're becoming more politically correct.
Supporting this revised structure will be an improved command culture with an emphasis on an updated set of values and standards and a reinvigorated and formalized membership of the General Staff for all officers of the rank of Colonel and above.

You won't get promoted unless you check the boxes in the General Staff course.
confident, valued and adaptable institution with clearly understood utility and productivity

The army is useful to and valued by the country.

Simples...

Wordsmith

And this just in:

Chief of the General Staff, General Sir Nick Carter recently outlined his vision for the future structure of the Army.

The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst the Army’s home of leadership was the venue chosen by CGS to announce his vision for the future of the Army at the annual Army Conference.

In his keynote speech CGS outlined his future intent for the Army, stressing the need for the Army to: fight and operate smarter; maximize its talent and improve its match fitness. Highlights included the importance of seeing through Army 2020, rebuilding readiness and adopting a strategic approach to what he described as persistent engagement. Acknowledging the importance of our people, he stated that the Army must utilize and attract talent by modernizing career structures, broaden the Army traditional recruiting ground and strengthening the culture so all talent can thrive.

CGS also announced a new operating model for the Army which sees a new 3* structure that formally separates strategy and policy from delivery. This will free those responsible for delivery of current capability to execute effectively and will allow those responsible for strategy to operate far enough out to exercise flexibility in delivering future capability.

Critical to supporting the chain of command in enforcing these standards will be the Army’s first Command Sergeant Major, Warrant Officer Class One Glen Haughton of the Grenadier Guards who will assume the new post in the Spring.

General Carter summarised the conference by saying,

“Our goal is to be regarded as a confident, valued and adaptable institution with clearly understood utility and productivity – we are indispensible to the nation. Our purpose is clear: we protect the UK, fight the UK’s enemies, prevent conflict and deal with disaster.

The same soldier who does all this also secures the Olympic Park, rescues Mrs Jones from her flooded house, does not question a deployment to fight Ebola in Sierra Leone, or complain when asked to cover for the firemen and ambulance drivers during his weekend. All this underpinned by unlimited liability, loyalty and exemplary values and standards.”*

My highlights...what on Earth does this mean?
I dunno but you missed a bit* "And has to be treated by charities when he is seriously injured or suffers mental problems as a result of his or her service"

D

Deleted 60082

those responsible for delivery of current capability to execute effectively and will allow those responsible for strategy to operate far enough out to exercise flexibility in delivering future capability.
And this is impenetrable (and I spent 2 1/2 years in a strategy team in Main Building!)

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
@smallbrownprivates , sort them out will you?

Please.

You're the only one I trust with clever words, even though you lost my dog.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
A "Command Sergeant Major"?

D

Deleted 60082

Membership Cards? AGMs where you can approve the annual accounts and vote out the chairman?

I didn't see any mention of embracing and celebrating diversity, of reaching out to the people on the ground, of building lasting relationships with the less abled in society, of ensuring zero marginalisation of ethnic groups and ensuring their inclusivity.....

D

Deleted 60082

I didn't see any mention of embracing and celebrating diversity, of reaching out to the people on the ground, of building lasting relationships with the less abled in society, of ensuring zero marginalisation of ethnic groups and ensuring their inclusivity.....

But there's this:

mso

LE
Do you have to be a trans-sexual to apply now?

A "Command Sergeant Major"?
More importantly, where in the WO1 pecking order will he be? Presumably at the top, above the current list of Conductor, RLC, RASM, AcSM GSM (LonDist) etc.

But there's this:

I see. But strengthening the culture of what?

Latest Threads