Bulling Brown Shoes and Sam Brown

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by BigRed, Oct 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apart from the obvious of get a guardsman to do it any top tips on bulling the brown kit? :?

2. No different from using black.

3. I normally put a square of plastic bag over my fingers underneath the Sylvet cloth. That way the funny dye in the polish doesn't turn your fingers yellow.

You can end up looking like you smoke ninety a day!

4. KIWI is the only suitable polish for this job. Never use Cherry Blossom.

5. Give them a quick bull with black every so often makes the shine deeper.

6. Haven't you got any prisoners in the pokey to do it for you?

7. Latex gloves to keep fingers clean, an old flat iron (not steam iron) is ideal for beeswaxing the sam brown, Heat up the iron, iron the sam brown, rub in beeswax, allow to dry, re-iron, re-wax. Fine glass paper to sand down the sam brown then layer it up and bull as you would your boots. (Good luck!)

Or cheating methods, you have heard of CLINK? (clear and black ink), try CLOWN (clear and brown ink) or better still CPL (clear protective laquer)

8. A quick cheat on your working boots not your best is to use Holt's damp start ignition sealer. looks like you spent hours bulling them :D

9. I have published this on the arrsepedia I hope it helps
    kiwi dark tan is as good as black and for your sam brown get a good length of plank and put som nails in it to hold down your belt it makes it easier to polish.
    As with shoes a good brush polish first and use a nylon to finish and use a piece of linen to rub along the edges to make sure no polish residue rubs off on your service dress. A good belt storage tip is get a hat box and lay your sam brown coiled around the outside and that will provide protection for it and your forage cap.

[THE BUTLERS] GUIDE TO SHINY FOOTWEAR.

Equipment: Sylvette cloth

Tights ladies gs non-folding.(no fishnets or other patterns)

2x tins of polish. one must be kiwi as it contains natural beeswax.

2x good bristled boot brushes labelled on and off 

Forget the beeswax I have been waxing boots and belts for over 25 years and believe me it is not a task to be taken lightly.

Preparation:

Use the selvyt on your brasses for a bit then scrub it give it a good rinse, this reduces the nap of the material to a decent level for bulling your boots.

Always work with a damp diddley.(selvyt)

Fill your tin lid with clean cold water.

Never use the same polish to brush polish and bob as it gets grit in it.

Always brush polish your boots first. It feeds the leather and helps to remove grit and polish flakes and helps you build up your layering.

Whatever boots you are bobbing(bulling,) either combat ammo or even plimmies (old sod) you must break them in first let them attain their natural creases as this will help reduce flaking when you walk.

Execution:

Remove excess dirt from your boots if necessary then apply a good quantity of polish from your brush polishing tin using your on brush.

Remember to pay attention to the welts removing all dirt.

If your eyelets are a bit worn and brass is showing use a black marker on them.

Using your off brush polish the shoe vigorously till a nice shine appears

Using your tights, rolled in a ball rub over the boots as this gives a very good shiny finish that goes down a treat on first parades down the tank park.

Tie a piece of string to one corner of your damp diddley.

Arrange your hand in the style of a boy scout salute, ie three fingered.

Wrap the diddley around your three fingers making sure the writing is on the outside

Use the string to secure it around your wrist.

Dip your diddley (please don’t snigger) in your water get it nice and wet and then dip it in your bobbing polish.

Apply to one section of your boot at a time rubbing in circles this is to build up the polish layers on your boots.

Keep applying polish and water and soon you will begin to see a dull shine.

As your polish builds up on the leather it will start to shine that is when you start to reduce the amount of polish you apply, just dab your fingers in the kiwi lighter and lighter enlarging the polishing circles. A lot of people have problems finishing of and can ave a smeary or even scrarced appearance. If tis happens to you then try finishing using the water bobbing method

Water bobbing:

Equipment is cotton wool balls and cold rung water.

Take your boots into the bogs ad use a sink.

Run the cold water and put a cotton wool ball under it.

Rub the wool ball on your boots in a circle and a shinier finish will start to appear. Keep rinsing and changing cotton as it will pick up polish flakes that will scratch your boots.

When you are happy with the finish make sure you remove all water from your boots as it dries and leaves white marks if you don’t.

You can if you wish bob over this finish with your diddley and try an even deeper shine.

When you are happy with your boots the next bit is a real cringer.

Wear them!! Put them on lace them up and do a quick stroll round the block.

Why you mad bugger I hear you ask

Your boots will crack along your natural creases if you go on parade with them like that you will impress no one.

When you have the natural crease cracks formed do the following:

Brush them hard with the off brush.

Brush polish them with the on brush.

Brush them vigorously with the off brush.

Rub them with your tights.

Then bob them up again this time the creases will have less polish in them and the rest of your boot won’t crack as much.

Don’t dos:

Clear floor polish Even a cadet instructor will spot that bluff

Set fire to your polish. Never understood that one it depletes the natural oils and wax

Gloss paint. Oh yes I’ve seen it done looks great ends in tears.

Morello a German shoe product actually very good but I’ve seen toecaps fall off on parade. Works well on welts and heels.

Pledge. I’ve seen this widely used by kings troop RHA as a finishing method.

Note: In the cavalry we use our whole hands once proficient at bobbing and you get a feel for when it is right to reduce your polish and water quantities. I am telling you this method because it easier for a beginner to start off with three fingers and I Know any cavalrymen reading this will laugh but you got to start somewhere. I first learned when I was an 11 year old army cadet with a yellow duster and one finger. My basic at Bovington did not teach me any different and it was not until I became officers orderly that the other more experienced orderlies taught me the proper way to bob boots with a diddley. As you get better at it you will develop your own style of what works for you. This is only a rough guide to get you started.

10. Wow, Butler. That was an astonishing piece.

11. Why thank you kind sir.

it's what I do 8)

12. All Especially Butler, many thanks for the education. Has ARRSE Mods ever contemplated a sticky that lays down how kit should be worn and top tips like Bulling Boots, remove your epaulettes prior to dry cleaning etc?

May seem obvious if not your first time but would be helpful...............

13. The_Butler.

Lot's of sexual inuendos in that piece or was it just me?

14. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

Iron it through a piece of brown paper so you don't get residual build up of wax. This will leave it beautifully smooth without the need for glass paper.

15. I've heard you should start off with a base of black polish and then finish off with brown.