Bulling Boots RIP?

#1
I was talking to a young crab the other day who had just completed his basic training. According to him the RAF have banned bulling boots in training because of the risk of RSI and that the army will be following suit. 8O
Is this boll-ox?
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#3
Adam(KOS) said:
I was talking to a young crab the other day who had just completed his basic training. According to him the RAF have banned bulling boots in training because of the risk of RSI and that the army will be following suit. 8O
Is this boll-ox?
I remember years ago the RAF stating that shoes shouldn't be bulled but highly polished

No Wah

A few years ago at Halton a number of lads were taken of a Battle Of Britain Parade due to kit issues

The kit issues were that they were considerably smarter than the rest of the parade and rather than try and drag everyone up to their level it was easier to get rid and maintain and even strain

Told by three independent and highly trustworthy sources who I served with
 
#5
I had a mate in the RAF who was back squadded in basic, when he arrived to meet his new DS he was informed that his boots had to be bulled to the same standard as the rest of his new squad.




So he took them outside and scuffed them on the pavement.
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#6
metimmee said:
I think you'll find that the standard of highly-polished that is acceptable looks identical to bulling.
Really I've never seen a pair of highly polished shoes come anywhere near bulled
 
#8
If your working dress is CS95, then it doesn't make sense to have bulled boots - wouldn't last too long.

If your wearing blues, then it's shoes - and they look sh1t bulled up anyway.

I therefore humbly poo-poo your bismirchment.
 
#9
Nah, it's been CALLED 'highly-polished' for years (since at least 1989 when I joined up), but it's Bulling in all but name. The name was apparently changed because some wet, PC do-gooder decided that 'Bulling' was synonymous with 'Bullying' (I shit you not) - it's got fcuk-all to do with RSI and the method of 'High Polish' taught to recruits is exactly the same as the method previously described as 'Bulling'.
 
#10
There must be a warehouse full of the old black army plimmies somewhere that could be reissued to the RAF to save a few bob and address the RSI issue. Those canvas uppers would allow the feet to breathe in a dry office environment and the rubber soles would protect against static electric shock. Much safer for clambering around aircraft and stores too, I should think. It could be called the Shoe, Soft Soled, Office or Shoe SSO. Quick, I need to run this by Clarkes (pardon the pun) :twisted:
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#11
The crabs have shoes with patent leather toe caps to negate the need for shining them. They look bloody awful because:

a. Patent leather is not really menswear is it?

b. The scratched but shiny toecaps draw attention to the rest of the shoe which is always dull and unpolished.

BTB Tasty toggle I recall bulling those old army road slappers.
 
#12
BuggerAll said:
The crabs have shoes with patent leather toe caps to negate the need for shining them. They look bloody awful because:

a. Patent leather is not really menswear is it?

b. The scratched but shiny toecaps draw attention to the rest of the shoe which is always dull and unpolished.

BTB Tasty toggle I recall bulling those old army road slappers.
Utter shite, no the Crabs do not have patent leather shoes. Coo, you'll say we go to war with Samsonite in tow next..
 
#13
I've heard an argument from RN types against bulling on steaming bats (safety boots worn with 4s/action working dress) due to it being a flame/melt hazard... Don't worry though, in general Chiefs and the like aren't afficianados of said school of thought (and the shoes are to be bulled regardless). To be honest if you were close enough for that to be a hazard you've probably got other more pressing things to worry about - but there again bull won't last too long on that sort of working rig.

Whilst we are on the subject of it all, anyone got any black Tornado nosecone paint going spare? :D
 
#14
Voltiguer said:
I've heard an argument from RN types against bulling on steaming bats (safety boots worn with 4s/action working dress) due to it being a flame/melt hazard... Don't worry though, in general Chiefs and the like aren't afficianados of said school of thought (and the shoes are to be bulled regardless). To be honest if you were close enough for that to be a hazard you've probably got other more pressing things to worry about - but there again bull won't last too long on that sort of working rig.

Whilst we are on the subject of it all, anyone got any black Tornado nosecone paint going spare? :D
Could do with some meself if anyone has a source...
 
#15
BuggerAll said:
The crabs have shoes with patent leather toe caps to negate the need for shining them. They look bloody awful because:

a. Patent leather is not really menswear is it?

b. The scratched but shiny toecaps draw attention to the rest of the shoe which is always dull and unpolished.

BTB Tasty toggle I recall bulling those old army road slappers.
Oh fcuk, we've morphed into the old b*stards who used to tell us how hard THEY had it :lol:
 
#16
Signalman said:
Nah, it's been CALLED 'highly-polished' for years (since at least 1989 when I joined up), but it's Bulling in all but name. The name was apparently changed because some wet, PC do-gooder decided that 'Bulling' was synonymous with 'Bullying' (I s*** you not) - it's got fcuk-all to do with RSI and the method of 'High Polish' taught to recruits is exactly the same as the method previously described as 'Bulling'.
Yep I've never seen on orders the command to wear bulled boots, its always highly polished (And God help you if your boots aren't bulled).
The story I was told though was that bulling damages the boots and so you could not be ordered to damage military property, don't know if thats true but I know its not advisable to be a barrack room lawyer when your RSM asks why your boots aren't bulled.
 
A

ALVIN

Guest
#17
What, no bulled boots? --- That is funking disgusting!
Strait to the funking guardroom with you i say.
Now i am getting seriously worried about the military of today and wont sleep well tonight. :( Cleanliness is next to godliness.
 
#18
stacker1 said:
The story I was told though was that bulling damages the boots and so you could not be ordered to damage military property, don't know if thats true but I know its not advisable to be a barrack room lawyer when your RSM asks why your boots aren't bulled.
Now you're confusing burning with bulling. And as we don't have DMS any more, there's no justification for burning.
 
#20
putteesinmyhands said:
stacker1 said:
The story I was told though was that bulling damages the boots and so you could not be ordered to damage military property, don't know if thats true but I know its not advisable to be a barrack room lawyer when your RSM asks why your boots aren't bulled.
Now you're confusing burning with bulling. And as we don't have DMS any more, there's no justification for burning.
Possibly it was only a story I had heard but that doesn't explain why Ive never seen an order to bull boots though (always highly polished).
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads