Bullets, blood and bravery on the 999 run in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Apr 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Sunday TimesApril 20, 2008

Bullets, blood and bravery on the 999 run in Afghanistan
    Stuart Webb joins Britain’s elite combat medics on a relentless series of dangerous flights to rescue the injured – both friend and foe
    There’s a battle under way in the Helmand desert and we are flying straight into it. I would normally worry about hitting turbulence; now I’m worried about being hit by ground fire. An injured American special forces soldier needs rescuing urgently, but he is stuck in the middle of the firefight.

“We’d fly in under fire to save one of the guys,” says RAF pilot Dan Padbury. But as we approach he is told to hold his Chinook helicopter close by while US special forces fight the Taliban on the ground and clear the airspace for an assault by “fast air” – military slang for the jet fighters that are about to attack.
    More on the link
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article3778984.ece

2. Fantastic story.Heroism and dedication exhibited routinely.Simply awesome.The media needs to cover more stories like this.

3. Quite moving.

4. Beyond quite , I hope to measure up to these people one day.

5. Well thank you for the instruction, but the use of the word 'quite' was not used as a unit of measure but as a term of affect.

Edited to let civi-git know there's no hard feelings :thumright:

6. I understand completely and I have no intention of "one upping you" or demeaning the servicemen in question I was merely expressing ,my appreciation of the incredibly brave men in question.

7. Having been unfortunate enough to have needed their services this time last year they are the absolute dogs bollocks.

8. Excellent story.

9. Great story, and before this comment from the Times gets knocked down the page -

10. Utter humble respect for the lads and lasses, who are saving lives and doing such a worthwhile job.

11. Utter humble respect for the lads and lasses, who are saving lives and doing such a worthwhile job.