Bulletproof custard

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by freedomman, Jul 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A while ago, I pooh-pooed someone for asking whether the MoD were fielding any body armour with a new liquid fillier.

BBC News - Liquid armour 'can stop bullets'

Liquid armour 'can stop bullets'
    Page last updated at 12:22 GMT, Friday, 9 July 2010 13:22 UK
    E-mail this to a friend Printable version By Victoria Gill

Science reporter, BBC News

A bullet hits traditional kevlar (L) and the new liquid armour (R)
    A liquid armour has been shown to stop bullets in tests carried out by UK scientists at BAE systems in Bristol.

The researchers have combined this "shear-thickening" liquid with Kevlar to create a new bullet-proof material.

The company is keeping the chemical formula of the liquid a secret, but it works by absorbing the force of the bullet strike and responding to it by becoming much thicker and more sticky.

The BAE scientists describe it as "bullet-proof custard".

"It's very similar to custard in the sense that the molecules lock together when it's struck," explained Stewart Penny, business development manager in charge of materials development at the company.

Shear-thickening liquids are not new to military research. The US Army Research Laboratories has carried out tests using similar liquids.

But, according to BAE, these latest tests provide the first clear evidence that liquid armour could effectively protect soldiers from bullets or shrapnel.

They say the liquid could ultimately be used to make much lighter, more flexible and more effective bullet-proof vests for solidiers.

"In standard bullet-proof vests, we use thick, heavy, layered plates of Kevlar that restrict movement and contribute to fatigue," said Mr Penny.

In the tests, scientists used a large gas gun to fire ball bearing-shaped metal bullets at over 300 metres per second into two test materials - 31 layers of untreated kevlar and 10 layers of kevlar combined with the shear-thickening liquid.

"The Kevlar with the liquid works much faster and the impact isn't anything like as deep," he explained.

The results were presented to journalists during a preview of future defence technology at BAE's Advanced Technology Centre in Filton, Bristol.

I withdraw my pooh-pooh for further consideration.

PS, how the **** do I work this ******* new forum? No editing facility? Bah.
  2. They shouldn't name equipment after food. Accident waiting to happen.
  3. Hmmm, I've got a few packets of biscuits brown to go with the custard
  4. When they get it to work against against a steel ogive travelling at >700m/s, I'll be interested.

That's the problem with these materials - they seem to have application at lower velocity (e.g. stab, and possibly low-velocity rounds), but the stuff Terry uses tends to be faster and pointier!
  5. I heard that when the new ration packs got brought out, there was a massive leftover stockpile of the treacle pudding.

Even the TA and cadets refused to eat it, so BAE were given a contract to recycle it.

Everyone knows that stuff is bullet proof.
  6. Treacle pudding? I liked that stuff. Mind you, I was the only guy I knew in my squadron who actually enjoyed eating ration packs. I could never see the point of buying stuff the green machine should actually be giving you for free, especially when the favourite food group seemed to be Pot Noodles.

7. Its good stuff - its a non neutonean solid based armour reinforcement.The issue is as far as i can see it keeping the exact right liquidity in the non neutonean solid in fierce hot places like afghan.Ie no ozmosis of the water in the fluid, or loss of moisture.
    The issue to me is if shot, and they layers are punctured after a while in the heat the liquid dries up and likely flakes off.
    So what the fluffy researchers dont realise (becuase they dont goto war to ever know it) is that yes, its a nice idea, but basically when shot your armour protection profile will degrade over time in a way kevelar sheets wont.
    Sigh. I wish there were 'jobs for jeniusez', not just h4h.
    somone give me a job as Q
  8. Complete ARRSE! - what do you think all those guys in overalls with dstl, QinetiQ, BAES, Thales, Serco etc logos are doing? Not forgetting that over 50% actually served before joining industry.

There are - see above we recruit lots of ex-forces guys.
    No because it frickin "Newtonian" as in Sir Isaac Newton not bloody neutonian as in neutrons and stuff which shows you're bluffing.
  9. Assumably, the effect of a round hitting a solid kevlar plate is not positive towards it's strength anyway. I'm not sure that the current plates are as strong on second hit as they are on first hit.

I'm sure that the researchers aren't complete and utter air-heads and have actually thought about what happens to the armour once it's been hit.

Without being funny, did you think of something Osprey could do, and a way of achieving it, before the men in white coats did? Or, in fact, did they actually come up with a pretty good idea and put it into production quickly, achieving a good product that was in service quickly?
  10. How do you know im not wearing a white coat right now? (im not; I aspire to) Quote from the daily mail in 2007 - to refresh you:
    One Marine told the Mail: "We've had situations where as soon as we've got into a contact [firefight with enemy], guys are pulling out the plates and throwing them away. That's what I did. "It's hard to run for cover wearing Osprey. They're heavy, but more importantly they're so bulky you can't even bend down. "Worst of all you can't fit your weapon to your shoulder. The front plate is so thick and in just the wrong place so the rifle butt slips off the edge, and you can't get your eye to the sight. "Who designed this thing? Someone behind a desk?

Ref to your question about inventing. Yes i did actually, Ive been bandying the idea of a micro capilliary network of modified cheap 'nearly' carbon nanotubes filled with non neutonean solid, backed by a version of the US 'dragonscale' product.
    So na na na na toyou. as it were.
    The principles behind osprey are not difficult to be fair. Whats much more tricky is a load bearing armour that can take weight load from a trooper not add to it. Or in this case something that was ergonomic enough to be all sitution viable.
    The point you missed i was making is that a liquid solution based armour will find it harder to cope in a very hot enviroment after ttaking traumatic damadge, much more than kevlar. Ive met quite a few guy in defence RD who more or less cook something up and then hope it might be useful. Many have no idea about what the situations the gear will be used in are like.
  11. If the 50% figure is correct, and I cant find any metrics to back it up, i retract the point. But as said, my own experiences lead me to the conclusion above. Lots of balding old blokes.

Bluffing? Whats to bloody bluff. Its frikin GCSE physics. No, it means first,i cant spell, and second I wrote it in a hurry at 3am last night, as the post shows.

If you are in the industry, you might be able to give me some answers ? whats the deal with vectran - is it not as cost efficient as kevelar? (cant spell kevlar either); and does it need to be 'spun'
    bet you could make a micro tubule out of vectran,

damn, youve got me thinking now. im going to be pacing about in a park, and then covering my wall in post it notes now. You could fray them like chicken feathers structure
  12. Kevlar has become the catch all word for fabric based armour, in reality Spectra/Dyneema is much better for armour, Vectran is much more comparable with Nomex, as it doesn't have the strength of the Ultra high molecular weight fibres.

Anyway, this research isn't going to replace ceramic composite plates, it's more likely to form part of future soft armour carriers, which would not only provide greater off plate protection, but also act far better to spread the transferred load of a round striking the plate. It would also be very good in spall lining
  13. didn't dragonskin have serious issues though?
    I seem to remember reports from testing of plates detaching themselves after being hit, and traveling between plates when fired at an upward angle (the sort of thing you might find in an IED type explosion)