Bullet recognition

Looks like 7.9x57 (8mm Mauser) to me.

"K.39 W1" markings British .303 made in 1939. The K was for Kings Norton, ammo plant from 1917 to 1943. The W1 would indicate armour piercing.

Last edited:
K.39 WI markings British .303 made in 1939. The K was for Kings Norton, ammo plant from 1917 to 1943.
It's rimless, so no. It is British made Kynoch Mauser caliber hunting ammo I would say.

HE117

LE
K is Kynoch - they made both 7.92/8x57 Mauser for the BESA and .5 browning during the war..

The 8x57 was a Prussian round adopted by the Germans.. The BESA was Czech - it was adopted in the 8x57 calibre as the feed mechanism would not accept the rimmed .303 round. Feeding a belt fed rimmed round requires the cart to be pulled out from the belt backwards like the Vickers or the PKM. The BESA pushed the round forwards through the link like the MG42 and MAG/GPMG - you can only do this with a rimless round..

The Z means it is not cordite filled - probably NC powder..

The colour of the annulus (the groove round the cap) tells you the bullet type:

Purple - ball
Red - tracer
Green - AP
Blue - Incendiary
Yellow - Proof (all copper plated)

HE117

LE
Finally got the side on picture to view..

Looks like a cupro nickel (as distinct to guilding metal) jacket..

This would indicate a filled round rather than ball. I would be a little wary of this round, particularly as the point appears to be rotting It could be filled with something nasty..

I would be inclined to dispose of it (sensibly!)..

What are the dimensions? That's the best way to get to the bottom of it. I am still pretty confident with my assessment.

Intrigued by all this stuff, I had a Google. Working from the other direction, I entered "FZ" and didn't get much other than reference to the Brazilian Imbel M964 which, as all you experts will recognise, is a locally manufactured FAL.

I wouldn't have mentioned it, other than that the photo of the round in post #1 looks amazingly like an SLR round (subject to memory deficit).

Is there any way of connecting K39 (or could it be K30?) to a 1960/70s South American weapon/ammunition manufacturer?

Makes you wonder why anyone would still use a revolver. [but I'm not looking for an explanation]
Oi, I resemble that remark.

Anyway, nobody ever did the right thing with a mess Browning Hi-Power - it'd be ungentlemanly to keep something like that in the mess next to the antique silverware.

What are the dimensions? That's the best way to get to the bottom of it. I am still pretty confident with my assessment.
It's 0.5" so I'm pretty sure we're looking at Vickers SAP as above.

Latest Threads