Bullet penetration

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by HE117, Apr 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Excuse me for bunging this into the Inf forum, but I think the discussion is more relevent here than in the shooters thread...

I have had a bee in my bonnet about bullet penetration for some time, particularly since Iraq/Afghan kicked off where targets seem to be more likely to be peering round mudbrick walls than through bushes.

I came across an interesting site where some old Yankee lad has been blasting rounds through a variety of targets, with some interesting results. OK it is not particularly scientific as he is not using very large samples, but the work has been done well enough to give a least a strong hint as to what is going on...

This one is about bullet deflection on brushwood...

There are others worth looking at - the one on .303 british is particularly interesting :twisted:

I think that anyone working in areas where lead is flying around should have a gander at the site.

Some things I have picked up on..

1. How good sand is at stopping stuff.
    2. How cr@p lighweight bullets are at going through things.
    3. Velocity/calibre is not everything. Bullet design is important as well
    4. How good we Brits were at gun design.. (at one time!)
  2. Lessons learned!

Do not hide behind dowel in a firefight!
  3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

4. God I love Texas and Texans

cracking site, he loves his Shiloh Sharps
  5. 5 - 10 m range there with the older 55grain 5.56 round.

Plenty of damage for sure.

Where this argument usually starts heading is towards the question of whether it will injure the enemy through cover.

When I've finished my range I'll do an invitational shoot and we'll conduct some tests on all this.
  6. That's a really interesting site. I was very surprised at how devastating the 12-gauge solids were.

7. You should fire one.....or 30 :D
  8. Not long ago I took out a wild boar with a 1 1/2 oz solid 3" slug fired from a Mossberg 500 pump, the exit was about the size of a rugby ball
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If anyone wants to conduct such testing I have sufficient ground available!
  10. Oh, I have, PrinceAlbert, and a whole lot more than 30. They were 2¾" Brennekes out of a Franchi SPAS 12 I owned (and still own) when I was living in Switzerland. But I only ever fired them at (paper) targets on the Liestal military range near Basel. There's a hell of a lot more kick than with buckshot, true, but I'm an "ole sowja" used to the SLR, so that wasn't very much bother.

What really surprised me in the test was how effectively they went through all that plasterboard (what the Septics call "sheetrock"), planking and bricks. I actually never expected that, since it's hard to know what could happen "in real life" when you're only punching rather large holes in sheets of paper some 50 to 75 metres away and watching the sand spurt up in the butts behind.

11. I remember the range officer at Sennybridge giving me a right reaming for fireing slugs at his electric pop up targets on G range
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I use the CBC ones for skittles!
  13. You might be interested in this:

(Extremely Graphic be forewarned)

& Here

5.56mm M193 Ball to the right thigh just above the knee from a 20" Bbl M16A1 in the Phillipines. note apparently Hydraulic shock broke the femur, not the bullet directly hitting the bone.

Story is a Drunken Phillipine Cop fired the round after having an altercation with the man. There's also an image of a Afghani shot in the torso by German Soldiers with either a G-36 or MP-7.
  14. Why? :?
  15. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The great thing about these solid slugs is that they are fabulous to well over 100 yrds - unlike shotgun pellets. I hear piggies really don't like them.