Bullemia Nervosa

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DesktopCommando, Feb 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently had a very close friend who came out and told me, that she has been throwing up after every "fatty" meal, also she's also become a bit of a PT nut, I realise this is Bullemia, just asking if anyone has had to deal with this and offer any help that i can pass on to her.

Please I'd appreciate any Helpfull comments (not BULLSH1T cracks)
    [hr] [hr]
    What is Bulimia?

Bulimia, also called bulimia nervosa, is a psychological eating disorder. Bulimia is characterized by episodes of binge-eating followed by inappropriate methods of weight control (purging). Inappropriate methods of weight control include vomiting, fasting, enemas, excessive use of laxatives and diuretics, or compulsive exercising.
  2. You have my sympathies; I reckon she needs professional help. How you persuade her to accept help is one for the experts, IMHO.

Good Luck,

3. The bottom line is that people with bulimia have to want help before they can be helped.

The best treatment at the moment is cognitive and behaviour therapy from a properly qualified therapist.

You could point her in the direction of the eating disorders association, now called 'beat'. An internet search will find them and they have a website.

4. we both had a read of that site yesterday, she does want help, just wants to try and beat it with my help, for now, and belive me if she doesnt, then I WILL referer her to the MO, (Confidentaly)
  5. Update - she fell off the wagon yesterday :( , hopefully today will be better.
  6. It's good that she has admitted it and confided in you. That's a positive start. Get her to keep talking about it, even when she's struggling. So often people hide this sort of thing. Sounds like she wants to beat it. Wishing you and especially your friend all the best in this.
  7. Well good news Is she's doing much better for the last few days, also shes talking to other likeminded people,

If anyone else needs help, PM me and I can give you some of the advice and confidential support, that ive learned
  8. Well in helping my mate, and initially her going completely monkey poo, about asking other peeps for help, she does want to know if this has helped anyone else :)
  9. Cheers for those submitting there opinion s :)
  10. Anyone requiring any help, from either side of the issue, suffering or helping. PM me and I'll give you the web address of an excellent anonymous chat site & help site. :)
  11. My missus admitted to having a little bout of not eating when she was younger.

That was a bit wierd.

Every car needs fuel to run... My best wishes to you!
  12. Cheers :) there's quite a few of us helping our mates out there..
  13. Well my mate is doing a hell of a lot better and thanks to more people that have asked and ive hopefully helped as well.
  14. Well just a report for those interested; my mate condition got worse, but now she has reported it to the medical centre and has starting to seek proper help, which I am extremly proud of her getting over the obstacle of telling a doctor and asking for help. :clap: