Bull$hit Alert - Books to Avoid?

A carefully thrown biscuit AB can , under certain circumstances , take the track off a BMP .
Had they thrown a tin of pilchards or cheese possessed the enemy would have run...

BTW, the Hungarians stopped Soviet tanks in 1956 with upturned soup plates laid in the road.

The Soviet tankies thought they were mines and halted, giving the Hungarians time to throw petrol bombs at the tanks.

Accurate - Quartered Safe Out Here
B0llocks - Devil's Guard
Accurate on a similar theme. The Little Men by Ken Cooper, ex 2nd Border.

The Devil's Guard is a good read but (I agree) utter cobblers.

IIRC AFV's were painted with White or Aluminium interiors as lots of dark spots to hide or lose things like condoms or whisky.....
...and it prevents shadows where the turret monster can lurk and from where it can steal your stuff...*

* tankies will know about it - every tank has one... Google it if you don't believe me...

NSP

LE
Admittedly, I've speed-read the thread but I didn't see any mention of the press-proven fantasy that is Jihad! by Phillip Sassarego Tom Carew, who was ultimately found dead in a lock-up in Belgium where he had apparently been living a "hard routine."

syrup

LE
The best book I've ever read also happens to be a war book.

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason.

You can get it cheaper elsewhere.

It takes a few chapters to get started, but once it gets going it really gets going. It is superb.

I thought this was a good read

After mistakenly killing a group of American soldiers who had wandered into his target area, Vietnam helicopter pilot Warrant Officer Troll begins--with fatal results--to hesitate in carrying out his mission and struggles to redefine his sense of himself.

Another good Vietnam book I enjoyed was this

Kent Anderson's stunning debut novel is a modern classic, a harrowing, authentic picture of one American soldier's experience of the Vietnam War--"unlike anything else in war literature" (Los Angeles Review of Books).
Hanson joins the Green Berets fresh out of college. Carrying a volume of Yeats's poems in his uniform pocket, he has no idea of what he's about to face in Vietnam--from the enemy, from his fellow soldiers, or within himself. In vivid, nightmarish, and finely etched prose, Kent Anderson takes us through Hanson's two tours of duty and a bitter, ill-fated return to civilian life in-between, capturing the day-to-day process of war like no writer before or since.

I thought this was a bad books thread, or is all the above sarcasm?

Wouldn't normally be picky enough to point this out but it's 0440hrs and I'm sitting in the garden, unable to sleep with a scrotum full of stitches after having to pay four grand to fix a debilitating testicle injury the bloody Covid fixated NHS wouldn't get round to before Xmas.

So sort the bugger out.

Yes correct. The fact that a third of that film's cast had not done military service (due to health or conscience reasons) did not escape comment in Israel.

Another Israeli war film I would recommend btw is Kippur, directed by Amos Gitai and based on his own experiences in the 1973 war as a reservist serving in a helicopter rescue crew. Amongst other things it accurately captures the rapid transition from normal daily life to the madness of war, that is a common experience for so many IDF reservists. Don't expect a cracking war adventure movie though - it's more about the mind-trip, tedium, horror and shock and as such may even leave you feeling tired and depressed.
The Dutch ATO wouldn't have looked out of place serving alonside Max Wunche in the Leibstandarte Guard Battalion in Litchterfelde Kaserne in pre war Berlin so long as they wern't too stringent in the medical. The scene in the cookhouse was very Israeli. Half of the troops doing the full Rabbi at the Synagogue act, while the other half were watching the telly. I wonder if salt beef bagels were on the menu?.

Another suprise for me was to discover that there are men in the Israeli Army. Every video I have ever seen on YouTube only showes hot female Israeli soldiers in full battle gear, rifles, machine guns, helmets, with make up and eye shadow, or designer cam cream, and not a speck of dirt on their uniforms.

Last edited:
Another suprise for me was to discover that there are men in the Israeli Army. Every video I have ever seen on YouTube only showes hot female Israeli soldiers in full battle gear, rifles, machine guns, helmets, with make up and eye shadow, or designer cam cream, and not a speck of dirt on their uniforms.
Well as you may know, we were just peaceful tillers of the holy land soil that were forced to take up arms in order to defend our crops and selves. Thus the farmer founding fathers of the IDF based its manning doctrine on the only ratios they knew - that of their flocks, cattle and poultry. Ask any poultry breeder - one male for every ten females is tickety-boo.

519+wrOsTfL.jpg

This was the first book I ever read about Vietnam in 1973 just after the last American troops left. Its about a number of individual stories the author recounted from his patients in a military hospital in Japan. Vietnam was very much a dirty word then and other than John Waynes the Green Berets and the book by Robin Moore there had been no films or books about the war (or very few). A lot of the book was about the 'Dust Off Medevac helicopters.

It brought home to me how intense the Vietnam war with especially with the toll of dead and wounded, and what nonsence was written about a few peasants, farmers by day, guerilla by night dressed in black pyjames had beaten the US Army. A lot of the fighting was against well equiped, hard core regular NVA soldiers.

I haven't read it since 1973 so I don't know if it would stand the test of time.

Sexton Blake

Old-Salt
Pretty sure this one hasn't been mentioned yet. And if you go to the link below some more info on a British bloke who did serve in Vietnam but unfortunately 'flowered it up' way too far.

9780593049686-uk.jpg

However, as a previous poster has already mentioned it would take a lot to beat the absolute bull crap that is the Nemisis Files.

Attachments

As the title says 'Books to be avoided', may I be so bold as to chuck this into the mix?

I'll normally stick with a book to the bitter end - I finished 'Red Sailor' FFS! And that was utter dross. (Story about a disgruntled matelot during Korea)

But I've just had to give up on a 'classic' - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Now, I DID know that it was not primarily about looking after motor bikes! I went onto Wiki and some other specific 'story' sites for guidance. But I've struggled and skip read bits and today - binned it. Couple of KK (Kindle Klicks!) and I'm into a good old Harry Bosch book.

Happily I have literally thousands of books on DVDs and a Calibre site full too.

...and it prevents shadows where the turret monster can lurk and from where it can steal your stuff...*

* tankies will know about it - every tank has one... Google it if you don't believe me...
OI! I resemble that remark.

Sexton Blake

Old-Salt

Latest Threads