Bulger Killer Jon Venables Released from Prison

No worries. I tend to be rather literal and I don't think the written medium conveys nuance of thought so well.

Venables was at Redbank ( now closed ). Thompson was at Barton Moss . Both sets of staff at these institutions were known to allocate blame to the other one, i.e the one they weren't looking after. As a personal opinion, I think this was to let themselves deal with these people in a professional manner. The idea of maybe there is hope for this one. Such is the nature of coping when you spend everyday and night in the company of those who make your skin literally crawl. On a personal level, I think both of them were bad to the bone and circumstance of their meeting led to their bestiality expressing itself.
I really can't imagine what it must be like to be tasked with looking after either one of these.

"Oh, they say he's been rehabilitated" - 'but he's tortured a young child to death' - "Treat him well, we don't want any upset".

The politics of it all must be extreme.

I really feel for anyone that has to come in to close contact with these kinds of people, not just the ones we are talking about here.

And to make it worse, maybe you do spot the odd bit of humanity in them, or shudder, see the evil glint that lurks in their eyes. Not a lot you can do about either. You are just a cage master really. You aren't their therapist or counselor, but perhaps you get to know them better than anyone. Who would listen to you anyway?

I guess if you are 'professional' you hide your disgust and keep things smooth. It's not like there is really going to be any great outcome at the end of the day. You do your job. No fuss. You come in the next day and do your job again, hope there's no fuss.

Rehabilitation works two ways. Both ways. It's not just the offender who needs to be dealt with. The people taking care of these people also need to be taken in to account. How they feel. The hours they work. The unrealistic expectations put on them. Beyond the scope of all of this I know. I've over-reached again.

Lots of questions. But not too many people offering answers, even if they might be wrong.

Apart from all that. Yes, they were both wrong. To the deepest part.

I have come to know hate, and I've come to be able to realise I could kill a man if I had to. But it would only be under very strict circumstances. Under very strict rules.

To do that at such a young age with such impunity...

Even with all the hate I have been able to muster, I could not do that. If it had to be, it would be sharp and swift, there would be no joy in it.

I really don't know about this one. I might have got it very wrong as to who was more to blame. It may even be that Thompson is indeed the sharper cleverer more psychopathic one. It may be that Venables is just acting out because he can not stand the pressure put on him. It matters little.

Both are to blame. I hope no harm comes to them. I hope they get a lifetime to consider what they did, at leisure.

And this is why I wholeheartedly support the system that 'manages' them.

But please, not at the expense of them being a threat to others again.

I still think Thompson was the ringleader. Even the police said there was something about him, he was streetwise and manipulative. I think Venables went along with it. Thompson seems to have moved on with his life, maybe that means he wasn’t really affected by his previous murder, which would make him the bigger psycho possibly.

Yeah, there is definitely that angle to it as well. You summed it up really.

But again, does it really matter?

No one will ever know.

Except for one 2 year old toddler that gets to tell no tales.

Yes. That was the talk at the time. I simply do not know.

No one knows.

You would think the people in authority would make an example in this case. Not for punishment, but for understanding.

There is definitely truth to be found here. But for some reason, those in power do not want to dig so deep and expose it.

I think it's ghoulish to rake over these cases if you are not a family member. But every now and again they do come up and you maybe spend an hour or two looking at the facts.

I think that is healthy for a society to be able to look at this and question things. Whether you get answers or not.

It's easy for us. But for James Bulger's parents it must seem like salt rubbed in to old wounds.

I don't know if it's because of the 24 hour news and inter web society we now live in or what but I'm sure the sleaze and the way these MP's behave has got a lot worse since Thatcher finished as PM.
I've always voted but my god the way things are nowadays the only thing that will get me to vote next time is the thought of Corbin entering No 10.
If he has a nasty accident before the next GE then I might not bother.
TBH i have switched off from the dross the media is pumping out. The second brexit is happily spouted off the telly/radio goes, the UK has the best sleaze cover ups in the world.
Who do you think controls the media after the last near outing of goverment sleaziness?

But this was the interesting bit for me in the nature vs. nurture debate. Thompson hasn't re-offended.
He hasn't been caught doing anything.

Apropos, am I the only one thinking that in certain cases, such as Venables (as was), there may be arguable grounds to bin the HRA and go full Soviet; kneel him down and put a Makarov to the back of his head...?

Apropos, am I the only one thinking that in certain cases, such as Venables (as was), there may be arguable grounds to bin the HRA and go full Soviet; kneel him down and put a Makarov to the back of his head...?
I think this case predates the HRA

No one knows.

You would think the people in authority would make an example in this case. Not for punishment, but for understanding.

There is definitely truth to be found here. But for some reason, those in power do not want to dig so deep and expose it.

I think it's ghoulish to rake over these cases if you are not a family member. But every now and again they do come up and you maybe spend an hour or two looking at the facts.

I think that is healthy for a society to be able to look at this and question things. Whether you get answers or not.

It's easy for us. But for James Bulger's parents it must seem like salt rubbed in to old wounds.
Only five sentences in that post.
We demand our moneys worth. Delete it and start again. Stop short changing us.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
IIRC, wasn’t a single mum in a relationship with Thompson before being warned off him by police?

The media say all sorts of things. One story Thompson has a child in a relationsh the next he’s gay. Oh and the other he’s in the Army.
The Trevor McDonald programme was thought provoking I thought .

The rumours about him being in the Army have been going round for years! I first heard it in NI in about 2001. I think it was the RGJ he was supposed to be in at the time.

I reckon a battalion full of Scousers would have been a death sentence for him if it had ever come out who he was...

Yes Jimmy I was serving then t it was early 2000s. I don’t think anyone paid too much attention to it. As discussed earlier, load of bullocks.
Apart from anything, he’s on life probation. A career in the Army would make that a bit difficult, and indeed there are one or two scousers serving as well.

The rumours about him being in the Army have been going round for years! I first heard it in NI in about 2001. I think it was the RGJ he was supposed to be in at the time.

I reckon a battalion full of Scousers would have been a death sentence for him if it had ever come out who he was...
I think it came about when the MOD instead of saying he's not serving, stated something along the lines of the have no record of Thompson joining up, leading to the conclusion that due to his new identity the MOD wouldnt know if he joined or not.
If he had joined up, so long as he kept his gob closed, its unlikely anyone (Scousers included) would ever recognise him.

I think it came about when the MOD instead of saying he's not serving, stated something along the lines of the have no record of Thompson joining up, leading to the conclusion that due to his new identity the MOD wouldnt know if he joined or not.
If he had joined up, so long as he kept his gob closed, its unlikely anyone (Scousers included) would ever recognise him.
Photos of them both come out regularly - real and not. The latest ones of Venables doing the rounds at the moment are certainly plausible enough. Of course, the people sharing them don't really care who gets hurt when they're wrong

Father killed himself after hate mob wrongly accused him of being James Bulger child killer Robert Thompson | Daily Mail Online

For a big city Liverpool's a really small village. If he had of joined up he'd have been found out eventually. There's just too many Scousers in the Army for him to get away with it for long.

Venables was out on licence . Now that he has re offended twice does this mean his licence is revoked and he will stay behind bars ?.