Bulgaria told to sit on the naughty step...

D

Deleted 20555

Russia is demanding that Bulgaria try harder to prevent vandalism of Soviet monuments, after yet another monument to Soviet troops in Sofia was spray-painted, ITAR-Tass reported.
The Russian Embassy in Bulgaria has issued a note demanding that its former Soviet-era ally clean up the monument in Sofia's Lozenets district, identify and punish those responsible, and take "exhaustive measures" to prevent similar attacks in the future, the news agency reported Monday....

Bulgaria-soviet-monument-painted.jpg

By no means is it excellent, it is bloody poor behaviour defacing a war memorial, regardless of who it commemorates.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The Bulgarians see themselves in the path of the Russian juggernaut if Putin succeeds in biting off further chunks of the Ukraine.

Wordsmith

4(T)

LE
That is a very clever paintjob, even though i do agree with the sentiments about defacing war memorials.

It is worth pointing out, however, that not all war memorials are equal. These soviet-era memorials of course commemorate armies which then went on to enslave the host country. Naturally, those countries now are very uneasy about these monuments to an oppressor, even though they have no problem commemorating the WW2 soldiers who fought the Nazi regime.

They would certainly be wary of 'antagonising' Putin.

Why? Even if the Russians managed to somehow install a puppet government in the whole of the Ukraine, they'll have there hands full there and winding up the Baltic states.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

llech

LE
That is pretty good to be fair, to those bemoaning a war memorial being desecrated, get the sand out of your vagina's, ask a Pole/Bulgarian/Latvian etc etc what they think of Russia!

That is pretty good to be fair, to those bemoaning a war memorial being desecrated, get the sand out of your vagina's, ask a Pole/Bulgarian/Latvian etc etc what they think of Russia!

ISTR there was a Soviet-era memorial that was commonly known as the Tomb of the Unknown Rapist" by the locals.

It'a a funny paint job, but I hope it washes off. I'd give it a few days before some UK-based "graffiti artist"/ Banksy wannabe, with none of the artistic talent, tries to copy it.

* That one, though there're probably others known by similar nicknames. ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_War_Memorial_(Tiergarten)
"The monument is built in the British sector of (western) Berlin; after the Berlin wall was erected in 1961, the monument was seen as a sign of communist provocation on West Berlin soil and had to be protected from West Berliners by British soldiers."

Sorry, but I thought it was funny.

Pity they missed out Batman.

Latest Threads