Bulford Camp 1960s

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by ICHABOD, Apr 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. New wife and I could not believe the shopping facilities when first posted to Bulford after getting hitched.

Tin Town was the main shopping area and it was just that - a load of bloody Nissen huts .

I managed to get a reasonable MQ but did see a row of houses at the Amesbury end called 'Coronation Street' which is what they were really. Just like the start of Corry now.

No money in those days so did not have a camera. Now the question -

Does anyone have any photo's of the camp of that time? I have got to show some to friends who just would not believe how we lived.

Wifey has just reminded me of the army allowance book she used to keep showing I had to pay £12 a week to her otherwise.......

I may be clutching at straws but I am keeping my fingers crossed

2. You should see it now, probably worse than then.

Is this what you remember?

Attached Files:

3. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Bulford Camp

Attached Files:

4. Is that Carter Barracks?

5. Certainly the one at the bottom looks like Carter Barracks where I was stationed.

Still no piccies of Tintown as far as I can see. Battle Dress eh? Takes me back a bit. Wot car?

Anyone remember the barber with the syrup of figs? All around mid 60's

6. Thanks Western. About 12 years before my time there!

7. I was one of the little sods you'd blow smoke all over at the pictures, doubtless why I'm still a smoker now!

You can see the Kiwi on the hill using Google Earth too, enjoyed many a sled ride down that.

8. Was that not the "Butch Chemist" that had the dodgy syrup?

When were you at Carter? I was there '67 to '69, was in the L.A.D.