Buildings prepared for nuclear war

Thank goodness for Wiltshire County Council whose foresight allowed them to put a bunker under council HQ in Trowbridge (who’d a thunk it)..... which leaked when it rained. Back in the Dark Ages I spent some time as a military rep on “civil defence” and, latterly, “resilience” committees. My end decision was to loosen my trews, bend over and kiss my arse goodbye once the four minute warning had gone off.

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
I believe following the Hiroshima bombing, one of the bank vaults survived intact.
Quite a lot of the High Street bank branches are being sold off these days. Some of them have very tough vaults. Probably would have survived a nuclear war. Especially those in smaller towns away from the main military target areas.

I wonder what plans (if any) the banks had for nuclear war? Would the bank staff have sheltered in the vault?

Hillingdon Council had an underground bunker. It also doubled up as the sports and social club. The reality was that it usually closed for one day every six months while senior management conducted an exercise of some form or other of civil defence. The rest of the time, it was party party party!!!!

Although it was an underground bunker, it wasn't that far underground and the London Borough of Hillingdon back in the day had several strategic centres of military importance including the Northwood complex on it's Northern Boundary, Heathrow Airport on it's southern boundary and a whole raft of military bases within it's borders including an operational airbase at RAF Northolt.

All that made Hillingdon a prime target if the balloon ever went up.

My i.a. in the event of the big one being signalled was to rush to the bunker, grab a bottle from behind the bar of something very alcoholic such as scotch/brandy/vodka, choose your tipple, and swig it back as quickly as I could until it suddenly got very bright and then the lights went out.

Edit: Thanks to @Wordsmith who has posted this information, here's a link to the bunker at Hillingdon.

RSG: Sites: Hillingdon Borough Control (51E7)
I thought you was on about the BoB Club at RAF Uxbridge until I followed the link!
don’t look like this now though as it’s been condemned!
F7B6DD07-410A-467B-A841-D2725FCF5E6A.jpeg

I thought you was on about the BoB Club at RAF Uxbridge until I followed the link!
don’t look like this now though as it’s been condemned!
View attachment 477371
No the RAFA Battle of Britain Club was never the bunker although it’s not too far from the actual Battle of Britain Bunker of WW2 vintage. A place well worth a visit these days.

I was a member of this place for a few years. It wasn’t a bad little club in it’s day especially if you liked snooker. It had two or three full sized tables in their own separate rooms and the bar was comfortable and the beer was rather tasty.

What let the place down was the former RAF membership. They behaved like a superior class and even though there were several former soldiers from the army who contributed to the bar takings significantly several times a week, the RAF lot looked down their noses at us. We couldn’t even have full membership and we were treated like a necessary nuisance for the money we brought in.

I eventually because disillusioned with the rudeness from what were basically, the RAF equivalent of a bunch of canteen waiters who happened to have done a few years on an obscure RAF base in some mundane and boring setting thinking and behaving like they were a bunch of toffs with the hereditary right to be rude to other people, particularly those who had carried loaded weapons in some places several times and I told them to shove it.

That was some thirty odd years ago now. The place has been shut for several years now and is derelict. RAF Uxbridge is now gone and it‘s all been redeveloped and the dilapidated club is tucked away on it’s own little parcel of land on the corner of the site waiting for something to happen to it.

I still live not far from there!

P.S. My apologies if you are former RAF but that is what it was like in those days.

I may asked this before, but what sort of Cokd War hardening could we look out for? Not just things like blast and flash resistance, and precautions against EMP, but non nuclear things such as design for being defended against sabotage or terrorism?

Were anti Spetsnaz measures included in architecture and installation design?
All sensitive sites that were deemed at risk of direct attack by Russian special forces were issued with 2 of these, to be left outside the front door when the balloon went up

No the RAFA Battle of Britain Club was never the bunker although it’s not too far from the actual Battle of Britain Bunker of WW2 vintage. A place well worth a visit these days.

I was a member of this place for a few years. It wasn’t a bad little club in it’s day especially if you liked snooker. It had two or three full sized tables in their own separate rooms and the bar was comfortable and the beer was rather tasty.

What let the place down was the former RAF membership. They behaved like a superior class and even though there were several former soldiers from the army who contributed to the bar takings significantly several times a week, the RAF lot looked down their noses at us. We couldn’t even have full membership and we were treated like a necessary nuisance for the money we brought in.

I eventually because disillusioned with the rudeness from what were basically, the RAF equivalent of a bunch of canteen waiters who happened to have done a few years on an obscure RAF base in some mundane and boring setting thinking and behaving like they were a bunch of toffs with the hereditary right to be rude to other people, particularly those who had carried loaded weapons in some places several times and I told them to shove it.

That was some thirty odd years ago now. The place has been shut for several years now and is derelict. RAF Uxbridge is now gone and it‘s all been redeveloped and the dilapidated club is tucked away on it’s own little parcel of land on the corner of the site waiting for something to happen to it.

I still live not far from there!

P.S. My apologies if you are former RAF but that is what it was like in those days.
I was born not far from there in Harefield, grew up in and around Uxbridge and remember RAF Uxbridge fondly, my uncle was a caretaker in the gym there and he used to take me to work sometimes when I was a kid. I remember the spitfire gate guard and still go past there occasionally as my in-laws live close by.
My dad was a member at the BoB Club, he gained membership because he was a member of the RAOB and they held a lodge there. He too didn’t speak very highly of the RAF contingent, he being an ex pongo like me, he used to take great pleasure in winding the RAF guys up.
I went there as a kid, Sunday lunch times usually and as an adult a few times, Dad invited us to various functions held there. Like you said, good beer, a spot of history and not a bad little club.
I would imagine it will just fall down eventually, no council will want to take the responsibility of knocking it down, it’s got that dilapidated it’s not worth restoring, so yeah, it’ll likely fall down and the site cleared for more bloody housing.

Latest Threads