Building your own range

A random question, perhaps, but something that came up in a conversation the other day and no-one knew the answer.

Assuming you have a lot of money (you win the Euromillions quadruple rollover or you're a Tech Full Screw or something) and can afford to buy a lot of land out in the country somewhere (in the UK), could you legally build an MOD type 600m/800m/1000m rifle range in your back yard?

A random question, perhaps, but something that came up in a conversation the other day and no-one knew the answer.

Assuming you have a lot of money (you win the Euromillions quadruple rollover or you're a Tech Full Screw or something) and can afford to buy a lot of land out in the country somewhere (in the UK), could you legally build an MOD type 600m/800m/1000m rifle range in your back yard?
For target shooting you will need a range safety certifucate. H&S and NRA unfortunately are your first port of call, after which a number of ex SASC advisors would assist in implementing the range templates. If you, or any of your guests have an open licence for deer stalking/foxing then you do not require any additional certification.

CQMS

LE
The issue would be planning rather than firearms law I would think, are you allowed to put the structure up in the first place.

That was the basic disagreement (it was one of those 'what would you do if you won the Euromillions?' conversations in the brew room) - most of us assumed it would basically be a case of being able to afford enough land to have the safety distances (the lad who suggested it is a bit of a shooter in his spare time) and not having neighbours who objected to the noise or the bank behind the targets. A few thought it might be legally dodgy for various reasons (mostly around public safety type stuff).

Ignorance and presumption are the two biggest hurdles in establishing a new target range. It is not difficult, but requires extensive liaision with idiots to achieve.

Start a field zeroing range for those with open certificates. There is already a useful range in Wales designed along similar lines.

If it is for personal use then I imagine it would just need police clearance (unless you have an open ticket) notwithstanding any planning regulations from your local authority.

A number of lads on UKV have been running 'open' shoots in quarries and hillsides

I gather they've been pretty successful establishing a sort of 'zeroing' shoot that bypasses the technical drawbacks of gallery / target rifle ranges

Unfortunately one has just been stung by the Environmental Health officer - inciting unreasonable noise-pollution due the steel plate range

Seems that you to have to be very careful not to offend sensibilities - but that you can get away with it if you're happy to turn away punters without open tickets

JJH has a range, I believe, although he's obviously not in the UK.

I have the land, but wrong topography for a rifle range. I could do a pistol range, but where's the fun in that?

Been wondering about this myself. As I understand it I can shoot game or vermin on my own land or land I have permission to do so on but not set up a target to shoot at yet I can shoot clays with a shotgun so long as I have a safe range of 300m. Am I right?

I have an open ticket and shoot on land that is safe to shoot out to 1000yds so Ive kind of got that 1000yds range.

Ive had an FAC for 20+ years and an open FAC for over 10 years ,I don`t have to specify where I use rifles and no land is named on my FAC.

Been wondering about this myself. As I understand it I can shoot game or vermin on my own land or land I have permission to do so on but not set up a target to shoot at yet I can shoot clays with a shotgun so long as I have a safe range of 300m. Am I right?

You are allowed to shoot targets anywhere you have permission to shoot as it is always a condition for target shooting in addition to vermin/quarry..... as long as it is safe to do son. How else do you zero?

JJH has a range, I believe, although he's obviously not in the UK.

I have the land, but wrong topography for a rifle range. I could do a pistol range, but where's the fun in that?

I vaguely recall Florida you had to have the boundary of the shooting area (range) a clear 150 feet from any neighbouring property. Have you checked?

Best solution for anyone if they have the land is to limit it to a 150M rifle range. Dig a long trench, drop in some 3' or 4' concrete pipe for the desired length, have a shooting room one end and a butts room the other end - pipe/tube range.

For those of you who may want to make a noise outdoors: Imagine the baffles in a silencer, got that? Right, scale that up to tractor tyres or truck tyres, still with me? Then put a whole bunch of them in a row and dug in a bit so that they look like silencer baffles and you can look through the lined up wheel holes to the target area. Put some soft foam or fabric in the parts of the tyre not directly on the ground - so that it doesn't get wet when it rains and put some drainage holes in the bottoms of the tyres too. The soft stuff is for dampening of sound more effectively as the hard tyre rubber would just reflect it. Saw it quite effectively done on a private (sniper practice) range in Arizona - about 10M long with a tyre spaced every .5M with a covered shooting position a couple or three metres back from the first tyre.

You are allowed to shoot targets anywhere you have permission to shoot as it is always a condition for target shooting in addition to vermin/quarry..... as long as it is safe to do son. How else do you zero?

That's what I said to the local firearm plod when I mentioned target shooting on my own land. How else do you zero? He said zeroing is fine but no target shooting. I think I understand...
As an aside how effective are silage bales as a backstop?

That's what I said to the local firearm plod when I mentioned target shooting on my own land. How else do you zero? He said zeroing is fine but no target shooting. I think I understand...

Stand behind one while I take pot shots....

Stand behind one while I take pot shots....

I know, Sorry knew someone who had a couple fall on him. You could still see his imprint in the ground weeks later a-la-wile e cyotee.

Tut Tut , letting townies shoot on ones land should not be done , if silage bales do stop what ever you are shooting I would be more concerned about getting sued by the farmer for killing his cattle with lead/shrapnel + loosing your shooting rights.

Latest Threads