Building RAF Mount Pleasant Documentary

Not sure if this has been posted before, but is fascinating viewing:

Weird but found the same thing yesterday on my Youtube line up and sent it to a load of lads in Afghan. Really good documentary actually and amazed how they achieved it. Funny but the new power station is being built/finished and took longer than the original. Trouble is a lot of the infra down there is overdue replacement but as with everything defence nowadays there is not the money or inclination to sort it.

Trouble is a lot of the infra down there is overdue replacement but as with everything defence nowadays there is not the money or inclination to sort it.
Infra? Overdue replacement? Do you work for the ISP?

I went down there in 2010 (and again the following year) in response to the ISP's similar claim that every building had reached the end of its lifespan, leaks couldn't be repaired and needed urgent replacement.

The reality was that the original constructors had omitted a component from EVERY building which accounted for the leaks and in 25 years of "maintaining" the buildings, the ISP hadn't identified the fault but had spent a fair amount of dosh slapping repair materials in the wrong place. Fac 38 would have needed 2 blokes working for a month and the other buildings each needed 2 blokes working for 1-2 hours.

Fac 38 needed new floorboards and windows (as a result of inadequate maintenance) and decorative works (as a result of drunken squaddies) but was generally sound. For relatively little cost, it could be given a further 25 years of life.

The rest of the buildings were probably designed for 50 years before needing major maintenance (i.e. not replacement) and, other than the leaks that had been there since their construction, were almost all in immaculate condition. A couple of roof panels had been blown off because of poor workmanship during construction but could be easily and cheaply rectified - i.e. a week's work by 4 men to fix ALL of the loose panels.

Your talking about the living accom from the sounds of it. Yes, that is still in good condition. But look at the bits that support it like fuel infra for instance then it needs large scale improvement or replacement. As for the ISP.....i did then after a few months realised that i could not continue with it cutting corners, not employing the right people and basically no oversight on the contract.

I was involved with every building - putting in 20 hours per day for two weeks (twice) to get round everything and reporting it! I had assistance from 4 others who were on 14 hour days - I was a considerate boss. At least they got half an hour in the bar each night.

Yes, the E&M stuff needed looking at but the ISP hadn't flagged that as an issue. I do recall, however, being glad that we were accommodated in Fac 38 when the steam heating pipe burst, plunging almost every building apart from Fac 38 (with its electric heating and calorifiers) into sub-zero temperatures. Sluggy (in Fac 12) wasn't best pleased.

Last edited:
ISP doesnt like reporting anything knowing the DIO have no budget to fix it. Instead they spend money on water hydrant systems whose tanks leak everywhere or replace pumps which are not needed and dont get the manufacturer to train anyone as operators or maintainers.

Weird but found the same thing yesterday on my Youtube line up and sent it to a load of lads in Afghan. Really good documentary actually and amazed how they achieved it. Funny but the new power station is being built/finished and took longer than the original. Trouble is a lot of the infra down there is overdue replacement but as with everything defence nowadays there is not the money or inclination to sort it.
That's how I found it.
I do recall reading Sir Peter de la Billière's autobiography that he was commander FI at the time and he went into details about this. Especially the fact that they had to effectively land the dozers and create everything from the landing point, to the location the airfield was to be built, building the road as they went. A hell of a constuction project, especially given the location and environment.

Last edited:

Latest Threads