Building on Fitness

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ocelot, Jun 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I looking for advice on how to tone up and become fitter. I am not after a quick fix and know it takes time.

Having asked many people, the general consensus is low carbs, high protein.

However, I am looking for a little more detail than that. I am 11stone and about 180cm (BMI 21.3).

I have skinny legs and arms and a torso which needs definition.

I am looking for advice on diet and fitness. What should I be eating, when should I eat, what exercises should I be doing, how often, what reps etc. I am looking to become fitter and more healthy. I understand with this comes body definition, more muscle and of course greater well being.

Muscles I would like to focus on are biceps and triceps, shoulders, abs and chest, legs and back (all basically).

Thank you for reading.

2. Do you do any fitness training at all ?

3. Fir the passed week I have done only a 1.5mile run due to being on holiday.
    I usually try to run every other day and on running days I try to hit a hard set and occasionally go the gym. However with Uni work recently gym time has been low but I still get the sets out (consisting of push ups, sit up,s box jumps, knees to elbow, that kind of stuff).

4. Check out stew smith, ex navy seal and phys instructor, he has a fitness program that requires one piece if equipment called the floor. Thing is his programs do work.

think its on Stewsmith.com

5. Mate

Your first comment says you want to "tone and become fitter" but then you talk about low carbs - high protein diet and being skinny. Sounds to me like your looking to bulk up a bit?

You can PM me for specific advice (wont be able to get back to you till next week) but here is a very generalised summary.

Diet:

You need carbs for fuel!!! Low carbs high protein is for bodybuilders and if your on a diet. No good for what your looking to achieve.

Just eat regularly (5 meals a day) and healthily with lots of water. Also protein is the building blocks of muscle, so also supplement with a high quality protein powder.

Weights:

In the gym you need to focus on resistance training to build lean muscle. Low reps (6-8) with around 3 sets on each exercise. Work two muscle groups (i.e. chest and triceps) per day. Aim for this training 3-4 times per week. Go hard and heavy to failure and make sure your form is good.

Fitness:

Run, cycle and swim. Don't plan which exercise to do - just train most days and go on it depending how you feel. By that I mean if you have sore, tight quads but your program says your running today, change it to a swim instead. Listen to your body!!!

Also make sure you mix it up. Hill work, fartlek, intervals etc. Become all round fit.

Rest:

Make sure you have at least 1 or maybe even 2 days off, depending on the intensity of your phys. Again listen to your body.

Good luck

6. Hi Spenny, the comments about carbs and proteins are what others have said, that is why I posted on here as it made little sense to me too (reminded me of the atkins diet).

If I was to go for a 1.5mile run during the day ten hit the gym in the evening how long is reasonable in the gym? I could bash out the 3 sets on each machine that covers the two muscle groups? Is that fair? I don't want to over do or 'under-do' anything.

To be honest I am looking for greater definition, but my priority it to become fitter.

7. NO longer than an hour doing weights, two different exercises 3 sets each for a muscle group and getting defined requires 10% BF minimum to see abs. I would say stick to compound exercises like squats, deadlift, bench press etc for most muscle gains and fat burn as they release high levels of testosterone. Just eat healthy, no drinking or smoking with at least 8 hours sleep a night and you'll soon shred the fat and see your muscles. Oh yes 6 small meals a day all including protein and carbs to keep your metabolism high also do hill sprints. Forgot to add at least 8 glasses of water a day and focus on 2 muscle groups a session no more for example back and biceps one day and chest and triceps another then abs and legs all ONCE A WEEK muscles need 7 days to grow bigger.

8. So, I am to exercise 3/4 times a week with a run on each of the working days and some weight training in the gym (I may use a Circuit some times). Spend one hour on resistance training, alternating each muscle per day in the gym. Low reps for lean muscle, hence enhance toning.

Dieting, eat 5 small meals a day, healthy with carbs and protein.

How long before I am looking, feeling and being slimmer and more defined and fitter? Stupid question I know... :)

Also, I ran 1.5miles today in 9:50.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

9. You have to give special attention and effort to finish any task and bodybuilding is no different. There is good logic behind this because each of the pairings are grouping like with like: biceps and back exercises typically involve pulling motions while chest and triceps exercises usually involve pushing motions. In addition, most back exercises utilize your biceps as an accessory muscle and most chest exercises utitlize the triceps in the same fashion.