Building Custodian/ Facilities manager

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by flynavy, Feb 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. At present i am the Building custodian and deal with the building and everything that goes with it. As i am looking at leaving within the next 12 months i would like to carry this on. Can anyone give me pointers as to what courses or qualifications i need that make me look good to civvy street.

    Many thanks
  2. Widen your search to include Asset Management & Property Asset Management, It is confusing because the term asset management usually refers to managing an offshore trust fund or such. Facilities Management is a term that seems to be decreasing in use or very sector specific: schools, universities, sport facilities, hotels etc tend to use the term whereas industry - oil, gas, power, pharmaceuticals even engineering and to some extent leisure tend towards the asset management term look it up here ECITB - Engineering your future There is a good reason why the term is changing or used interchangeably, facilities management infers you just look after a fixed asset or facility whereas asset management infers you plan and manage different types of assets (some of which could be fixed or described as facilities, some of which could be very mobile - large lifting equipment, transportation etc) to ensure their use is maximised and efficient and they are maintained properly. For info look at the Institute of Asset Management and British Institute of Facilities Management there are quite a few qualifications, the best place to find out the one's of any use is by searching job adverts and seeing what qualifications are sought after.