Building a Mediaeval Castle, using Mediaeval methods...

Just caught Secrets of the Castle on Yesterday - a re-run of the BBC series I missed first time round.

A 25 year projcet to build a castle using exactly the same methods and tools as would have been used c600 years ago, with the exception of safety critical stuff.

Want some rope? make it. Spiral staircase? Get carving.

Utterly fascinating.

medieval

Meh, how hard can it be?

Good series - brings history to life. The perception of medieval churches, castles and buildings as dull grey stone things is so wrong. Buildings weren't stone, they were plastered and rendered and painted. There was a huge amount of colour inside and out, even statues were painted, especially those on the outside of churches., One of my favourite castles is Manorbier (I was brought up in Tenby). Its not that well known that there were trout ponds and vineyards around the castle and the walls were rendered and painted - pink! Considering its setting so close to the beach, it must have been stunning.

(Apologies for the history lesson forgive me please and updated for spelling of Manorbier)

Last edited:

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Castles were an EM invention.
  1. He passes on the concept to one king and sits chuckling while he spends squiliions and bankrupts himself building a BFO castle
  2. He passes on the secrets of casting cannon and making gunpowder to a rival king so he can both blow holes in his opponent's castle and accidentally blow his own cannon up at regular intervals.
I suppose that was omitted from the program.

Wordsmith :smile:

Good series - brings history to life. The perception of medieval churches, castles and buildings as dull grey stone things is so wrong. Buildings weren't stone, they were plastered and rendered and painted. There was a huge amount of colour inside and out, even statues were painted, especially those on the outside of churches., One of my favourite castles is Manobier (I was brought up in Tenby). Its not that well known that there were trout ponds and vineyards around the castle and the walls were rendered and painted - pink! Considering its setting so close to the beach, it must have been stunning.

(Apologies for the history lesson forgive me please)
The church in St Fagans is mind blowing.

1. He passes on the concept to one king and sits chuckling while he spends squiliions and bankrupts himself building a BFO castle
  2. He passes on the secrets of casting cannon and making gunpowder to a rival king so he can both blow holes in his opponent's castle and accidentally blow his own cannon up at regular intervals.

Keynsian economic stimulus innit!

Better than having all those urchins give up harvesting mud and creating their own anarcho-syndicalist communes, set them to work.

Not really, castles were around for 800 years as a means of holding the surrounding territory down before effective canons were developed.

4(T)

LE
I hope it was better than that "building a Roman Villa", where they shafted the supervising archaeologist by hiring a load of utterly shite British cowboy builders to made it into reality TV.

I couldn't help thinking that, had it actually been set in Roman Britain, all those gobby native builders would have ended up being nailed to a tree or thrown into the arena...

Latest Threads