Build The Bismarck!!!! 1:200 scale- What A Scam!

Hachette Publications have previous for this.They pulled the same stunt in 2008.
These people have some back issues priced at £5.60 each. Build the Bismarck
Eagle Moss were promoting the "Back to the Future DeLorean" a few weeks ago.It will cost somewhere north of £1000.00 to finish it.
Build the Back to the Future Delorean
Funny that, if you look on that very site there is nothing available as "back stock" after issue 98, I'm maybe being cynical as surely this must be due to high demand.......or low production volumes!
Plenty available until that issue so, we have spent the money, give it a shiny new package and lets shift this little lot.
The company name says it all really "Hachette"

"British English: hatchet noun
A hatchet is a small axe that you can hold in one hand.
One was armed with a hammer while the other brandished a hatchet."

Ok, but where is that info if I were to pick it off the shelf in Rashid's convenience emporium?
I had the decided idea that it was subscription (cancel at any time) only rather than freely available in Rashid's Convenience Emporium. Their website suggests that it is given the subscription gifts, the four issues £35.96) per month etc.

Putting into newsagents guarantees it will not run its 140 issue course. It would be an impulse buy for the first two or three issues and then... sales plummet - magazines are generally supplied to newsagents etc on a sale of return basis.

Edited to add... their T&Cs say that back issues can be ordered from newsagents. They have also got it covered as far as subscribers wasted money if for any reason the series can't be completed because of circumstances beyond Hachettes control:

Should Hachette be unable to supply you with Issues due to circumstances beyond its control, Hachette will notify you of such circumstances and if those circumstances continue for a period of 3 months either you or Hachette may terminate the order for the Issue or (as appropriate) the Subscription immediately. Any advance payments made by you for Issues not delivered by the date of termination will be refunded. Hachette will refund you for the faulty Issue(s) only and will not refund you for the rest of the collection. Hachette will not be responsible for any loss of profits, revenue, contracts, anticipated savings, data, goodwill or wasted expenditure or any indirect or consequential loss or business losses.

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Funny that, if you look on that very site there is nothing available as "back stock" after issue 98, I'm maybe being cynical as surely this must be due to high demand.......or low production volumes!
Plenty available until that issue so, we have spent the money, give it a shiny new package and lets shift this little lot.
The company name says it all really "Hachette"

"British English: hatchet noun
A hatchet is a small axe that you can hold in one hand.
One was armed with a hammer while the other brandished a hatchet."
Even if they'd kept the super duper, extra cheapy intro price, your mate was still looking at close on £280. The price was a scandal but not a secret - at some point people of voting age have to take some responsibility for their choices.

I had the decided idea that it was subscription (cancel at any time) only rather than freely available in Rashid's Convenience Emporium. Their website suggests that it is given the subscription gifts, the four issues £35.96) per month etc.

Putting into newsagents guarantees it will not run its 140 issue course. It would be an impulse buy for the first two or three issues and then... sales plummet - magazines are generally supplied to newsagents etc on a sale of return basis.

Edited to add... their T&Cs say that back issues can be ordered from newsagents. They have also got it covered as far as subscribers wasted money if for any reason the series can't be completed because of circumstances beyond Hachettes control:

Should Hachette be unable to supply you with Issues due to circumstances beyond its control, Hachette will notify you of such circumstances and if those circumstances continue for a period of 3 months either you or Hachette may terminate the order for the Issue or (as appropriate) the Subscription immediately. Any advance payments made by you for Issues not delivered by the date of termination will be refunded. Hachette will refund you for the faulty Issue(s) only and will not refund you for the rest of the collection. Hachette will not be responsible for any loss of profits, revenue, contracts, anticipated savings, data, goodwill or wasted expenditure or any indirect or consequential loss or business losses.

He bought In Martin Mc Colls bud, hence the alarm bells and why I posted the thread in the first place.
Stuff like this must be sailing very close to the wind ( no maritime pun intended)
It's like Wonga but at least you get half a model to show for it!

Even if they'd kept the super duper, extra cheapy intro price, your mate was still looking at close on £280. The price was a scandal but not a secret - at some point people of voting age have to take some responsibility for their choices.
Sorry but I disagree with your post, for most of society I get it applies and to that part I understand. As most people will know on here, I am as far from a snowflake as can be. However what I do hate to see is vulnerable people being exploited.
I am not just on about this because of my friends experience. but that of so many other people who would be easily sucked in by such a publication.
Do not be fooled into the trap these publishers give two 5hits with their legal get out clauses etc. That's just there for when people smarter than the average bear come knocking at their door.
I hope the majority of the members on this site support my actions and bringing it to the attention of anyone concerned.
Nobody would be quick to say "well it was explained in paragraph xyz" if the thread was about a pikeys tarmac services.
This however is a firm advertising on national TV and the small print seemingly can only be accessed if,
a. You are literate.
b. If you have readily available internet access.

I have said enough on the subject to be fair, I just think it stinks that with all the supposed ASA safeguards that exist, that somebody at some point didn't go "ey, up that sounds almost too good to be true!"

it is surprising how many people get duped buying things on the drip
there was one a few years ago where you collected watches, a chap at work purchased them all
when he died they went into auction with furniture and other odds and ends
no bidders
i want this Bismarck so I can terrorise the kids down the park
You have just reminded me of one of the saddest things I ever saw. It was about 1989 (bear with me) and I was at the local pond with a mate. A very old chap turned up on foot, carrying the large (1/350 I think
) Tamiya Bismarck. It wasn't painted and it had obviously been constructed by the old chap with fading eyesight and shaky hands. There was a lot of glue showing on the plastic. He'd motorised the model and he placed it in the water with the propellors turning. It went about 2' and the propellors snarled in some weeds. He bent down and lifted the stern clear of the water. At this, the bow went under, followed by most of the model. The central upper part of the kit fell open and water poured in. Dozens of plastic bits floated off the kit. Too many for us to get hold of. The old chap pulled the model out of the water, poured the water from the hull - the motors had stopped - and left. All that effort. It must have taken the chap weeks and weeks. Poor bloke. It was sad to see.
We then went and kicked a hole in the nearby sandbag dam. Happy days etc.
Not at all relevant to this but glad to relive the trauma.

I like I am sure many have seen the TV ad's for this serial magazine build. Sure it looks quite good etc, however.
A good friend of mine went and bought the first copy of said magazine. The parts looked pretty shoddy in all honesty, yet it was only £1.99.
The second issue is at the "Special Price!!!" of £5.99.
My mate is as he would admit not the brightest, and is also a carer for his wife, mother and father (no digs please as they are lovely people).
He looked so proud and happy with his purchase and said "this is going to look fantastic when it's done" with almost child like anticipation.
I proposed to him that it would, however cost him a lot of money.
So I looked into it.............

Build The Bismarck!!!

First Issue £1.99
Second £5.99 "Special Price" remember!

There are 140 issues,
The subsequent 138 issues are £ 8.99 each.

Basic mathematics make this a Grand Total of £1248.60

Is this not extortion? I thought all this stuff had been stopped, like the De Agostini serial builds?
I could see he was upset so directed him to Amazon where he could get a 1:200 scale model.

1:200 Bismarck - Amazon

Only £227.80 plus p+p !?!?!

I am posting in this forum for obvious reasons, however if it needs moving so any site members avoid getting fleeced please do so.
Just hate seeing people getting done over,
What happens is they put this out, wow everyone buys it, for a few weeks then oh it's gone up. Miss a few weeks, ah I won't bother anymore. Company then loses sustainability and folds. No complete model. Only few complain, money in the bank!
Sorry but everyone has a choice as to how they spend money. I have built several part works and have enjoyed building and displaying them. I know people who smoke and drink, spending £8 a time on 20 fags, at 20 a day that runs to £240 a month, and all they get out of it is lung cancer and a hacking cough, others spend £4 a pint on beer, say 10 pints a week so £160 a month, and end up with headaches and cirrhosis of the liver. I spend just short of £40 a month on the Bismark, enjoy building it and have a great display model to exhibit at the end. Who is wasting money please.

Sorry but everyone has a choice as to how they spend money. I have built several part works and have enjoyed building and displaying them. I know people who smoke and drink, spending £8 a time on 20 fags, at 20 a day that runs to £240 a month, and all they get out of it is lung cancer and a hacking cough, others spend £4 a pint on beer, say 10 pints a week so £160 a month, and end up with headaches and cirrhosis of the liver. I spend just short of £40 a month on the Bismark, enjoy building it and have a great display model to exhibit at the end. Who is wasting money please.
You, there's cheaper ways to get a better kit as noted above

Virtually all of these part mags seem to work in the same way:
First issue or two are cheap.
Next few available in the shops then need to be ordered at £8-£10 a pop.

There was a 'museum quality' Fokker Dri a few years back. A quick calculation showed it to price out at about twice the cost of a similar kit from the local model shop. They mentioned as we were chatting about it that a scale off roader was also expensive bought this way. Buying it from them including R/C gear* was cheaper.

Mind you I was in Aberystwyth over the weekend and the nice lady in WH Smiths said one of her customers was buying the Bismarck and had done a couple of cars and was looking at the 'Terminator' kit too!

Some people have more money than sense.

*The R/C gear was an extra item in the part work.

Well hark at you, I bet you are just the apple of your mummy's eye and contribute so well to the parish funds! Well done you! Hat's off all round chaps to the new messiah.

In case you missed the points of my post they were....

A. Too expensive
B. Not the best quality
C. Bit of a longwinded process
D. Did I mention a bit of a scam???

Oh my friend who I explained in a kind way has slight learning difficulties etc etc also like a beer and a cig. But according to you I am the bad guy for suggesting he save himself a grand and buy an alternative?
How very liberal thinking of you!

Herod's Song