Build The Bismarck!!!! 1:200 scale- What A Scam!

I like I am sure many have seen the TV ad's for this serial magazine build. Sure it looks quite good etc, however.
A good friend of mine went and bought the first copy of said magazine. The parts looked pretty shoddy in all honesty, yet it was only £1.99.
The second issue is at the "Special Price!!!" of £5.99.
My mate is as he would admit not the brightest, and is also a carer for his wife, mother and father (no digs please as they are lovely people).
He looked so proud and happy with his purchase and said "this is going to look fantastic when it's done" with almost child like anticipation.
I proposed to him that it would, however cost him a lot of money.
So I looked into it.............

Build The Bismarck!!!

First Issue £1.99
Second £5.99 "Special Price" remember!

There are 140 issues,
The subsequent 138 issues are £ 8.99 each.

Basic mathematics make this a Grand Total of £1248.60

Is this not extortion? I thought all this stuff had been stopped, like the De Agostini serial builds?
I could see he was upset so directed him to Amazon where he could get a 1:200 scale model.

1:200 Bismarck - Amazon

Only £227.80 plus p+p !?!?!

I am posting in this forum for obvious reasons, however if it needs moving so any site members avoid getting fleeced please do so.
Just hate seeing people getting done over,
What happens is they put this out, wow everyone buys it, for a few weeks then oh it's gone up. Miss a few weeks, ah I won't bother anymore. Company then loses sustainability and folds. No complete model. Only few complain, money in the bank!

Last edited:
I like I am sure many have seen the TV ad's for this serial magazine build. Sure it looks quite good etc, however.
A good friend of mine went and bought the first copy of said magazine. The parts looked pretty shoddy in all honesty, yet it was only £1.99.
My mate is as he would admit not the brightest, and is also a carer for his wife, mother and father (no digs please as they are lovely people).
He looked so proud and happy with his purchase and said "this is going to look fantastic when it's done" with almost child like anticipation.

Build The Bismarck!!!

First Issue £1.99

There are 140 issues,

Is this not extortion? I thought all this stuff had been stopped, like the De Agostini serial builds?
I could see he was upset so directed him to Amazon where he could get a 1:200 scale model.

Only £265 plus p+p !?!?!

I am posting in this forum for obvious reasons, however if it needs moving so any site members avoid getting fleeced please do so.
What happens is they put this out, wow everyone buys it, for a few weeks then oh it's gone up. Miss a few weeks, ah I won't bother anymore. Company then loses sustainability and folds. No complete model. Only few complain, money in the bank!
Can't quite believe I bothered to follow your link, but in case your pal gets disappointed again, your link is not to the ship model kit but only to a super-detailed parts set for it.

These "partworks" magazines are a scam, not only does it cost £1249 to gain all the fragile parts, but in all likelihood they will can the publication way before everyone has acquired all the necessary parts which will become available at much higher prices via fleabay etc... As the saying goes "A fool and his money are easily parted"

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Can't quite believe I bothered to follow your link, but in case your pal gets disappointed again, your link is not to the ship model kit but only to a super-detailed parts set for it.
I have the horrible feeling his mate has already ordered it and is about to be both disappointed and angry at a certain someone. :D

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
it is surprising how many people get duped buying things on the drip
there was one a few years ago where you collected watches, a chap at work purchased them all
when he died they went into auction with furniture and other odds and ends
no bidders
i want this Bismarck so I can terrorise the kids down the park

Build The Bismarck!!!

First Issue £1.99

There are 140 issues,

Only £265 plus p+p !?!?!

Apologies for having to inform you that you have slightly misdirected your chum, as the kit you have found on Amazon is a super detail parts upgrade kit for a 1:200 model from a different manufacturer. It has about 200 super detail parts to add to the basic model, such as wooden deck and precision brass and resin bits.

The actual Trumpeter Bismarck 1:200* model lists for a "discounted" £300 most places, but can be found at a more reasonable £269.99 at eModels.

*Corrected. Should I blame the pneumonia, lack of sleep, whisky, or DMX?

Last edited:
Why build the loser?

Trumpeter do a 1:200 of HMS Rodney for £280 but the largest HMS King George V is Tamiya's 1:350 at £45 and up.

And there are any number of Swordfish kits around....

sorted it mate but thanks for pointing it out, I did realise after, thankyou.

Everyone needs a hobby to sink their money into.
I reckon some Lego buildings along with half a gallon of petrol would get a representation of Dresden fairly cheaply.