Bugle

Hey,

I want to learn the bugle!

Just wondering if anyone here plays this instrument. As i would like to know, does modern bugles have valves???

Are they hard to play???

Whats the price of a bugle roughly???

Thank You

I learnt how to play one in the cadets when I was 14. They don't have valves, just a mouthpiece. It's all in the lips, dear boy. I bought one from a local "antique" shop near me a few years back, for £30. I amazed my kids, and the current Mrs Ape, with my bugling talent. It's still there, albeit a crappier, less in tune talent, 26 years later.....

Oh, back to the question. Lernin how to play one. I would have thought that only the cadets/military still teach such a life enhancing musical skill these days, but you could try the local brass band?

Bugle on, dude!

Cool, so band still play bugles without valves, just i asked the question as on saturday night in the local town hall i was in a festival of rememberance show( i am the standard bearer for my ATC Sqn), and a woman played the last post on a brass instrument, i think it was a trumpet or a bugle with valves!!!

Also I have read some articles on the web, and they say playing the bugle is about buzzing your lips? What is this and is it a difficult technique to learn??

Please no stupid answers as i am dead serious about this!

Ignore the Duke, he's just jealous of my lip action.

Trumpet = valves, Bugle = no valves.

It is all in the lips, pursing of. Trouble is, I can't remember how I was taught [feck off Dukey boy.....!!]. I think you just have to purse your lips, and blow [oh, it gets worse...] and then see what sound it makes. Practice was the key. I remember the neighbours went wild when me and a mate practiced our "skills" in the garage at the bottom of the garden. Oh, and much as I hate to admit it, it was an ATC squadron I learnt with...

Is there not anything on the interweb you can look up.

Expecting incoming from the 13th Dook of Chutney... :)

DavetheApe said:
Ignore the Duke, he's just jealous of my lip action.

Trumpet = valves, Bugle = no valves.

It is all in the lips, pursing of. Trouble is, I can't remember how I was taught [feck off Dukey boy.....!!]. I think you just have to purse your lips, and blow [oh, it gets worse...] and then see what sound it makes. Practice was the key. I remember the neighbours went wild when me and a mate practiced our "skills" in the garage at the bottom of the garden. Oh, and much as I hate to admit it, it was an ATC squadron I learnt with...

Is there not anything on the interweb you can look up.

Expecting incoming from the 13th Dook of Chutney... :)
Ding Dong!!

I should get a prize for feeder lines like that Dukester!!!

The13thDukeOfWybourne said:
We're a real double act
Me? With a bugle? In the garage? With MY reputation???

wana_b_sapper said:
If you dont mind me asking which squadron????

Is it realitivly easy, if u practise???
"I can't answer that question, Sir!" It was about 300 miles south of you son, if you are in jolly jocko-land. As for learning, it can't be that hard if a biffer like me can play it now can it? [que Dukey!]. I got quite good after a few years, and it's just practice. But.. I was playing every week, in a band where one's howling caterwauling is masked by others, and where eventually you improve. I played the Last Post at a few Remembrance Sunday's I did. Oh yes.

Now you're stealing my gags! ... that's it, we're over. I'm going solo.
Oooh! Going solo Sir? Are you? Are you? Isn't it? Oooh... suits you Sir!

DavetheApe said:
Now you're stealing my gags! ... that's it, we're over. I'm going solo.
Oooh! Going solo Sir? Are you? Are you? Isn't it? Oooh... suits you Sir!
That's so mid-nineties. You'll never make it alone Dave ... Jazz Club.

I know Duke, I know. I'm all washed up man.... come back... we were good together...... we can do this........:cry: :cry: :cry:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
napier Gunners 15
Bravo_Bravo Infantry 46
chocolate_frog Infantry 14