Bugger Politics, 2012 Is Just Around the Corner

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Count.Dracule, May 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So.....you wont be sending a letter to Santa then??. I am.

2. Yes as i am voting for option 5, which means winter all year round..Xmas everyday :D

3. I reckon I have enough in the bank to ruin myself in Thailand for the next 2 years - bring it on!

What happens if you are wrong? What about my mortgage payments!

4. All very scary, except the Mayans never predicted the end of the world.

5. How do you know were you around during that period 8O

Back your claim up with a link :)

6. 2011 for me. There's a proper World Cup, not the minot diversion in Africa.

Now to (a) win the lottery, (b) rb a bank or (c) get that well paid job so I can go to watch it, sorry visit MrsPlume's family in NZ ;)

7. Ha ha, no mate I wasn't around then! To cut a long story short I honeymooned in Mexico a few years back and became fascinated by the Mayan culture and people after 'doing' a number of Mayan sites.

I've done a fair bit of reading since and the Mayans have never stated the world will 'end' in 2012 (though they emphasise fundamental change), rarther a unique astrological event will occur.

You want links you got'em, though there is alot more!!

http://www.13moon.com/prophecy%20page.htm#20
    http://www.universetoday.com/2008/05/19/no-doomsday-in-2012/

But then again there are plenty of links to back-up your argument aswell!

8. Ah, Wikipedia, the font of true knowledge, my argument is lost, I submit.

But then again, perhaps they do know a thing or two...

Scholars from various disciplines have dismissed the idea that a catastrophe will happen in 2012, stating that predictions of impending doom are found neither in classic Maya accounts nor in astronomy. Mainstream Mayanist scholars state that the idea that the Long Count calendar "ends" in 2012 misrepresents Maya history.[3][5] The modern Maya, on the whole, have not attached much significance to the date, and the classical sources on the subject are scarce and contradictory, suggesting that there was little if any universal agreement among them about what, if anything, the date might mean.

9. What did the Mayans say about the Olympics?

10. That Spain would win f**k all!

11. I`m not sure if I`ve got my facts right, but didn`t a few hundred Spandiards and other assorted Europeans turn up in Mayaland and royally stuff them. The Mayans hadn`t even got round to inventing the wheel for Gods sake, so who in his right mind would give any sort of credence to their "predictions"?

12. Knowing my luck I'd win the lottery on the 20th :lol:

13. St Malachi also predicted that the next Pope would be the last.