Bugger me, a politician helping out during the floods?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by freedomman, Jul 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Howled with glee at this: Thunderbird 7

Jersey Councillor rocks up to help out in the floods in his own Stalwart! What a guy!

Best quote is: "Some men have a midlife crisis and buy a Porsche - I bought an Alvis Stalwart,"

Sign of the times when an appropriate crisis response comes from a bloke who got bored with restoring Morris Minors in his spare time.

Hats off to Condor Ferries who shipped it from Jersey for free.

2. Indeed, I live in the affected county and it is good to see this sort of thing. I can only hope that the vehicle is put to good use.
    One point though, if we kept Green Goddess trucks to cover fire strikes, why not keep a few Stalwarts for these types of emergencies?

3. Don't load it up with anything too heavy 'cause you'll only have to unload it all again when it breaks down!!

4. I was hugely impressed on my visit to Jersey. Although it was a beach of a DZ. Seemed to be a well run version of Britain.
    How does Jersey select it's leaders, is there a mong filter sadly lacking in the UK?

5. I agree - couldn't ask for more.

6. What a star! :D

And echo this:

7. See Bushrider comments below :twisted:

God they were a pain in ain when they went wrong - but you could sleep in the louvers which were always warm - allegedly.

Well done to the Councillor and the Ferry Compay

8. What was the 'stolly' replaced with?

Anything comparable in service now?

9. When the Jersey field Sqn RE was formed,they had all the best equipment,because the States of Jersey bought it!!!

10. When the Jersey Field Sqn RE was formed,they had all the best equipment,because the States of Jersey bought it!!!

11. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Cracker :D

12. I believe that there are a few WWII era DUKW's still floating around (excuse the pun) although I don't know if any are helping out.

13. There are a couple of bright yellow ones that do tourist trips up and down the Thames.

Starts off near Houses of Parliament on the road then tears off down a slipway and steams into the oggin like a bloody log-flume!

Then it's up and down the river for a few runs and back onto dry land again.

Great fun!

Saw the same sort of thing in Sydney.

DUKW is truck based, so spares aren't a problem apparently.

14. one was hired by itn for news coverage it broke down and they had to be rescued :twisted:

15. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

There's one in Hunstanton, does trips out in the Wash, high or low tide. :D