Bug out time imminent ... thoughts please?

It's a long time since I posted a weepy look-at-me thread, so I thought I'd throw myself on the mercy of the new "caring sharing Arrse".

As some of you may know, I'm faced with selling my mother's house to pay for her care. So far, so shit.

They do say that house moves are right up there in the top three stressful situations, but apart from the usual rubbish connected with most sales/purchases, this is the family home of three generations, and my only home for the last 20 odd years.

I can't get my head around the fact that it will be gone forever. I've pulled my big girl superhero doorkicker pants up and tried to be positive, but I'm shitting myself, as it gets ever closer.

Any thoughts please? Am I being f*cking wet, or are these feelings understandable.
Greetings Stbob,

Just reading your tale now.
Several years ago my Wifes Family went through similar.
FIL and Mil suddenly lost their health, so much so they couldn't be cared for by Family at home.
Hoists had to be used to get them out of bed and so on.

The care home was free for a while, then the bills started to arrive £4000. per month - - I shit you not.
Obviously, this was taken from their life savings.
FIL passed away 1 year later, MIL moved from their double room into a single £2600 per month - - I shit you not.

After a few years as you can imagine the savings start to dwindle, the powers that be decided the house has to be sold to pay for the care of MIL.
Fast forward a couple of years monies from the house sale starting to really dwindle.

This will continue until MILs money reaches the minimum amount they are allowed to keep.
The Government will only then pay for her care.

All this could have been avoided if FIL wasn't so bastard stubborn and he had signed ownership of the house to his children.

REALLY IM NOT BITTER really.

All this could have been avoided if FIL wasn't so bastard stubborn and he had signed ownership of the house to his children.

REALLY IM NOT BITTER really.
The issue in doing that is not straightforward and has to be done a significant time before going into the care home

My old man was the same he was in the last days of his life and thought he would go on for ever so made no thought of what might happen once he had gone

Luckily not a major issue as he was awarded continuing care paid for by the NHS and he was only in the nursing home for about 2 weeks

Archie

The issue in doing that is not straightforward and has to be done a significant time before going into the care home

My old man was the same he was in the last days of his life and thought he would go on for ever so made no thought of what might happen once he had gone

Luckily not a major issue as he was awarded continuing care paid for by the NHS and he was only in the nursing home for about 2 weeks

Archie
He was told many, many times by family and his bloody brief well before the time limit was up.

My wife mother has just put her house on the market to move down here to be a full time gran, we're getting a massive place together and I mean MASSIVE. Saying that, when she first suggested it I was very reluctant given her very high social standing where she lives and the immense amount of parish council work she does - she's being doing it for 25 odd years and is the epitome of a figurehead in the local community - an incredible woman. Saying that, she's drawn a line under her incredibly active life and feels at the age of 67 it's time to start a new chapter of her life. The opportunities she and realistically her money offer our little one are just to good to turn down. We were told we couldn't have kids yet hit bingo first time on IVF so a very special one!

Sometimes life throws you a curveball @StBob072 and you just need to play it - look on it as starting a new part of your life with all the opportunities that offers, don't wallow in the past. And look at it this way - as long as you've got more than one hinge on your front door you're in a better position than most people on here :)

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi StBob,

Sorry to hear you've been given a date for completion.
I have no doubt this will be a very hard time for you.
Good luck.
Cheers Knees .

Its a relief after months of mucking about, to know this is finally going ahead.

I need to get on with it quickly, like ripping a plaster off.

@StBob072
Bricks and mortar are just that. You have the memories of the place and will make more in your next home.

As just mentioned by HLD DMR can you take a cutting, acorn, conkers etc and plant a new sapling. That way you have a physical link to your old house.

Yes, many have referred to bricks and mortar, but it's tough to say goodbye to trees.
Trees are tricky but do think of taking a few small bits from the garden. We've got some wild primroses in the garden that were given to us by an elderly relative as a wedding present. That was in Oxford in 1982. I've moved house 5 times since then, but some of the primroses always come with us. Since they spread like weeds it will only take 2-3 years for them to be here and there all over the garden. It was only in the last house that I let go of the Rosa Primula that originally came from my parent's place as a cutting.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Just popped into my local co-op on the way home and told a thieving pikey to **** off and leave the staff alone. (First of the season).

Could turn interesting when I move in two doors down ... :D

I've just agreed on the old family home after it having been on the market for about a year.
Hoping to **** it completes properly as I just want closure on it TBQH. Admittedly mind you in my case the cash is going in my pocket, which I presume makes a big difference.

Just popped into my local co-op on the way home and told a thieving pikey to **** off and leave the staff alone. (First of the season).

Could turn interesting when I move in two doors down ... :D

Ha Ha StBob,

Settling in already !

I can just hear the local chavs and pikeys telling each other don't **** with the Woman 2 doors from the Co Op
she is proper nails :cheers:

Last edited: