Bug out time imminent ... thoughts please?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for all the kind words. The following account maybe part self-indulgence, but also may be of comfort to others in a similar situation, so bear with me.

Late Monday afternoon I got "the call" from the care home - "your mother is very poorly so you might want to come in". With some trepidation I went to her room and found her looking quite comfortable - curled up on her side but with her head propped on a pillow. She was doing the old rapid breathing thing (but without the dramatic pauses). I knew what was happening and what to expect (including the strange stale odour when the body is shutting down). I sat with her, dimmed the lights, read poems and hymns, checked the temperature of her hands and feet, the dog curled up by her feet. About 8 pm my partner and his bro brought me sandwiches and a flask of coffee - much needed - and we sat in the empty tv lounge for a bit. They pushed off and I went back to her. No change. So about 9.30, having said all I wanted to say, I thought "bugger this for a game of soldiers, she could keep this up all night" - so I left. About an hour later, the nurse called to say that she had passed over to a better place.

For me, it couldn't have been better. I wasn't there at the moment she departed, but apparently this is a known phenomenon - once her deep subconscious knew I had left, she could let go.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Thanks for all the kind words. The following account maybe part self-indulgence, but also may be of comfort to others in a similar situation, so bear with me.

Late Monday afternoon I got "the call" from the care home - "your mother is very poorly so you might want to come in". With some trepidation I went to her room and found her looking quite comfortable - curled up on her side but with her head propped on a pillow. She was doing the old rapid breathing thing (but without the dramatic pauses). I knew what was happening and what to expect (including the strange stale odour when the body is shutting down). I sat with her, dimmed the lights, read poems and hymns, checked the temperature of her hands and feet, the dog curled up by her feet. About 8 pm my partner and his bro brought me sandwiches and a flask of coffee - much needed - and we sat in the empty tv lounge for a bit. They pushed off and I went back to her. No change. So about 9.30, having said all I wanted to say, I thought "bugger this for a game of soldiers, she could keep this up all night" - so I left. About an hour later, the nurse called to say that she had passed over to a better place.

For me, it couldn't have been better. I wasn't there at the moment she departed, but apparently this is a known phenomenon - once her deep subconscious knew I had left, she could let go.
RIP your mum - condolences.

at least you did not get what I got when my dad got the call. He had been poorly and I had popped down to see him but in arrival he was up and about and I thought that he was swinging the lead.

I left and a handful of hours later he died.

On the up side his last words will stay with me forever as a comfort and fond memory of the old bastard.

After I left he complained about feeling poorly again and went to bed. At about 2 in the morning he phoned the nurse and said "I have passed a lot of wind and feel much better now"

He then died.