Buffalo Special 6 or Montane?

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by Bravo_Bravo, Aug 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Buffalo shirt is reaching the end of its useful life and I'm looking to replace it.

I've seen a very similar shirt to the Special 6, by Montane - it actually looks a bit more robust and the pile seems thicker. It also seems cheaper so on the face of it, a better buy.

Has anyone else compared?

TIA

BB

2. X59

X59 On ROPs

Can't imagine anyone needing fleece thicker than what the Buffalo has.

3. Agreed, I haven't found anything that's an improvement on the Special 6..

4. OR

Use the issued Sofie jacket until the new issue warm kit comes round as part of the PCS roll-out.

5. I've not used the Special 6 but it looks identical to the Montane: do you mean the Extreme smock? That's the one I have, along with the trousers to make a full suit. It's bloody warm, although the trousers are a bit of a faff to get on.

6. DO NOT POST THE JOKE ABOUT A BUFFALO AND A BISON.

Just don't.

• Like Like x 3
  7. i've got the snugpak version, bloody good, nice & warm too & a lot cheeper if you shop around.

8. Isn't Snugpak down though instead of pile?

9. they do a pile shirt as well

10. I've had both and the Montane is superior in nearly every way. Really well thought out, better use of fabrics and just a more modern version of the Buffalo. It is usually a lot cheaper as well. You wouldn't regret getting one.

11. Montane do a ridiculous forces discount, about 50%, give them a ring

12. Thanks all - esp. C_Hinecap - you having had both I value your input.

BB

13. I've got a bit of Montane stuff as they sponsor the Lakeland 50/100 race that I've done and they usually have a shop at the race HQ with discounted gear....can't fault any of it, better than the Berghaus/North Face stuff I've got.

14. I've got the Montane Resolute smock and it really is the dogs bolloxs. It's their top of the range fibre pile smock. Tad expensive but worth every penny

15. I just spoke to a nice chap on the phone: their mil discount is 30%, and seems to cover pretty much everything in their range. This is taken from products bought through them, only.