Buffalo Special 6 or Montane?

My Buffalo shirt is reaching the end of its useful life and I'm looking to replace it.

I've seen a very similar shirt to the Special 6, by Montane - it actually looks a bit more robust and the pile seems thicker. It also seems cheaper so on the face of it, a better buy.

Has anyone else compared?

TIA

BB

Can't imagine anyone needing fleece thicker than what the Buffalo has.

OR

Use the issued Sofie jacket until the new issue warm kit comes round as part of the PCS roll-out.

C

count_duckula

I've not used the Special 6 but it looks identical to the Montane: do you mean the Extreme smock? That's the one I have, along with the trousers to make a full suit. It's bloody warm, although the trousers are a bit of a faff to get on.

DO NOT POST THE JOKE ABOUT A BUFFALO AND A BISON.

Just don't.

I've had both and the Montane is superior in nearly every way. Really well thought out, better use of fabrics and just a more modern version of the Buffalo. It is usually a lot cheaper as well. You wouldn't regret getting one.

Thanks all - esp. C_Hinecap - you having had both I value your input.

BB

I've got a bit of Montane stuff as they sponsor the Lakeland 50/100 race that I've done and they usually have a shop at the race HQ with discounted gear....can't fault any of it, better than the Berghaus/North Face stuff I've got.

I've got the Montane Resolute smock and it really is the dogs bolloxs. It's their top of the range fibre pile smock. Tad expensive but worth every penny

C

count_duckula

I just spoke to a nice chap on the phone: their mil discount is 30%, and seems to cover pretty much everything in their range. This is taken from products bought through them, only.

Used to use Buffalo back in the 80's when it was the only game in town, unfortunately the quality was crap. I've had a Montane Extreme for several years now and can't fault it. Construction, features and durability all all excellent. The fleece is starting to get a bit thin but a rub down with the dog's brush perks it up. 'Just in case' they stop manufacturing it, I bought a spare...

Used to use Buffalo back in the 80's when it was the only game in town, unfortunately the quality was crap. I've had a Montane Extreme for several years now and can't fault it. Construction, features and durability all all excellent. The fleece is starting to get a bit thin but a rub down with the dog's brush perks it up. 'Just in case' they stop manufacturing it, I bought a spare...
Does that thinning fleece bring the heat rating down to just 'toasty' ?

I have the Montane Extreme Smock and have worn it in the depths of winter, snow covered ground etc, etc with only a t-shirt underneath. It kept me toasty warm.

According to the manufacturer they are designed to be worn with only a thin layer underneath and not as part of a multi layer system. I prefer it to my down jacket but sadly for travel it does not pack down as small.

There was a thread on the Bushcraft UK forum a few years back with people trying and comparing the various smocks, might be worth a look.

AIRBORNEJOCK

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Had a buffalo that was replaced by the montane smock which as everyone else says is way superior.

The only warmer bit of kit I've got is a Rab neutrino which is shit if it's wet which it tends to get in the UK.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Biffta112 Classified Ads 0
D Infantry 31
Pebble_Monkey Weapons, Equipment & Rations 58