Buffalo Jacket - The best, or is there an alternative ?

My better half has offered to get me a nice cosy jacket for winter exercises. Are Buffulo Big 6 shirts the one to have, or is there a better alternative within the same price bracket ?

Gotta agree softie is the way forward. Would not leave home without it!

Montane Extreme smock, essentially the same as a buff but more robust, better finish and pertex so water resistant and breathable, top kit, around £90 but I got mine for £60.

A nice toasty RAB gets my vote.... saved me on many a cold senneybridge exercise......

Good old issued CS95 fleece does it for me....................................of course i'm kidding!

I have the Buff and a Softie, both excellent bits of kit. I would suggest a Buffalo for very cold temps, a softie is more versatile and you would probably get a lot more use out of it all year round.

That said if the missus is buying it I'd go for something like a RAB so that you can wear it in civvies without looking like an idiot.

Tankieboy..heres an example (i hope this works, never put in a pic before)

I have a Buffalo Special Six, which did me wonderfully when i was above the 60 degree line in Canada. The Pertex six is also very water resistant too, which was a pleasent surprise. I liked the softie, but felt it was a bit bulky. I only used a softie on Ten torrs though, so didn't really put it through its paces.

Thanks for all tips and advice. I have purchased (on behalf of the good lady !!) a Buffalo Special 6 in black. Due to arrive shortly and be secreted away untill Father Christmas comes down my chimney.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
NAP6W said:
Thanks for all tips and advice. I have purchased (on behalf of the good lady !!) a Buffalo Special 6 in black. Due to arrive shortly and be secreted away untill Father Christmas comes down my chimney.
It's a good choice mate, toasty warm and the ventilation is actually very good - at least for those who have passed AAZC1 and AAZC2.
(All Arms Zip Cses 1 and 2.)

Weight and pack size is another matter...

Aye, the Buffalo Special Six is a top bit of kit. It'll even keep you warm if its ringing wet! Very good buy mate.

It's also worth buying a set of Helly Hansen base layer thermals if it's going to be really brassic!

Cutaway said:
NAP6W said:
It's a good choice mate, toasty warm and the ventilation is actually very good - at least for those who have passed AAZC1 and AAZC2.
(All Arms Zip Cses 1 and 2.)

Weight and pack size is another matter...
They are are a bit of a sod if you wear it out for the first time and end up smashed in a pub after a long day on the hills. Could'nt get mine off (but I am moving a zip, heh? Fuggit). Was a tad warm that night...