Budget printers, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by oldgadge, Jul 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I am currently using a HP all-in-one printer/scanner/OCR/wifi etc., the problem is that I use the thing so rarely the cartridge dries up and at £25-£30 a pop it is an expensive way to print the occasional letter or document.
    So, my question is, is there a cheaper alternative?
  2. laserjet instead of inkjet. i use an Epson EPL-6200L. will set you back about £69, but no more crap inkjet printing.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Need to look at the cost of the consumables too - sometimes its cheaper to buy a new printer than it is to re fill a cartridge
    • Like Like x 1
  4. potato print.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Adobe PDF... Email the fecker
  6. That doesn't really work if you need to print a boarding pass for a flight.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Lexmark 2600 cost me £22 new, ink not too expensive. Getting a reconditioned Epsom next (same as the Army one) should save me a fortune in toner :)
  8. Any cheapo Epson inkjet/scanner/copier. I got an SX215 all in one from Tescunts for 40 notes. It takes 4 carts, and you can get them for 2 quid each from local computer shops, or eBay. the ones to get are branded "Pro Jet" and come in orange boxes. Quality is very good, as is page yield.

Also, WiFi printers=more trouble that they are worth. Save your money, and buy a print server for 10 quid, and plug it into your router or switch. Here's mine:

Printer is on it's own in a convenient place, and any PC with access to the network, wired or wifi, can print.
  9. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I know this is quite old and technology is always moving along, but does anyone else have any ideas for a decent printer (can be all in one) with affordable ink cartridges?

And regarding the ink, I hear the manufacturers keep coming up with ever more nefarious ways to stop you using alternative cartridges - like updating software being mandatory upon first use, so as to reject the chips in re-usable cartridges. Are they really as miserly as this?
  10. Yes, they're bastards about it. I bought a cheap (but very good) HP all in one in Spain when I was living there, and brought it down to Southern Africa. Despite the locally-sold model being identical, there is no way I can buy a cartridge for it, and to buy one from UK would entail a 10-hour round trip drive to the customs building to pay £10 or so duty. "Buy one of these", said the salescreature when I bitched about this, pointing to a Canon. I had no alternative, but I know the bloody thing won't work if I take it back to the UK.
  11. Vaz

Vaz Clanker

Epson printers are generally easiest to get cheap ink for, and they usually have seperate magenta, yellow, blue & black cartridges so it's handy to change the only one colour that's done instead of throwing out half the other 2
    I bought an HP printer the other day, forgot to check how much ink is, and it's just my lucky that there are no cheapo cartridges on fleabay, and it has only a colour cartridge & black cartridge! The only upside is that genuine cartridges aren't as expensive as most other brands, but still about twice the price as my old epson was
  12. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I picked up a hp4050 laser printer for 35 quid delivered off ebay with a new toner cart and network card so its plugged into the router. never dries out and does up to 8000 pages with carts at around 15 quid.

added a duplex unit for another 25 and the missus bangs out thousands of scouty pages with it.

missed out on a colour one for 25 last year at a car boot but they are out there if you look.

have a colour injet all in one made by brother which was given to me because it supposedly leaked. hasn't leaked for me in four years and I can buy ink only carts for it at around 15 quid for 12 carts off ebay.
  13. Library.

I print even less than you, so one euro a couple of times a year makes sense.
  14. PDF onto USB stick, then mates house