Buchanan Trust

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by re-stilly, May 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have never heard of this before, founded in 1919 to provide land for ex soldiers. Currently in the news because a bloke wants to open a care farm. Link

Webpage Buchanan Trust

I wonder how many other ex-service persons new it existed.
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Very interesting
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Even more so is the fact that the land is managed by the County Council;Council Land and Property - Herefordshire Council
    "The Council owns four industrial estates with units that are let to tenants, and has a significant farm estate with over seventy smallholdings tenants. It also manages, on behalf of Trustees, the Buchanan Trust Estate, just outside Bosbury."
    Perhaps the person needs to chase the council?
  4. True, but it seems to be one of those obscure trust/charities that has been around a long time that nobody has heard of so the workings of it might be a bit obscure.
  5. If you are interested in this charity, it was set up by my Great Grandfather Robert after his eldest son Alan, a machine gunner with the 1st/10th Battalion of The Kings Regiment (Liverpool) was killed at Hooge,Ypres 16 June 1915.

Great Grandfather gifted 750 acres of farmland and woodland at Bosbury in Herefordshire to the Ministry of Agriculture, for the rehabilitation and re-settlement of soldiers returning from the Great War.

It is now under the control of a very inept Herefordshire Council who are running it on a commercial basis and not as a charity, (£100,000 of funding needed before you are considered for a farm),

The Buchanan Partnership has now been set up, its aim is to ensure that the charity is run as Great Grandfather wished, the partnership includes 3 generations of Buchanan's who want to see Armed Forces represented on the Buchanan Trust's, Board of Trustees and maybe also a Buchanan in there to give additional support.

If anyone would like more information my father is co-ordinating the fight his email address is peter.buchanan@btconnect.com

Thank you for spending the time to read this and maybe passing it on, we would love to get a care farm or something similiar set up for our service men & women returning from Iraq, Afganistan and any other conflict, the Charity has a healthy bank account so lets put it to good use.

Robert Buchanan

• Like Like x 11
  6. ....a bit of lottery funding wouldn't go amiss on this.

Let's hope one of the ex Generals can bang his gums to the newspapers about this, instead of telling all and sundry that he couldn't fight the way he wanted due to the gubmint
  7. Diesel Bob

best of luck to you and your family in getting this property back to meeting the intent of the trustor, your great-grandfather.
  8. That is excellent news, charities deserve more funding and a higher profile.
  9. robert.buchanan2@btinternet.com
    • Like Like x 1