BT going broke?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by lsquared, Jul 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If so, it couldn't happen to a nicer 'quasi-monopoly'.

However, if 'Clown' Brown re-nationalises BT then just think how much easier it will be for the jaundiced oaf to monitor all 'phone lines and Internet traffic. :x
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

They can't be broke - not with the amount of money the barstewrds take off me :cry:
  3. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Stand by for more Clause IV by the back door. A bank here, a railway company there .. if Govt gets its hands on BT it will then try and strangle all BT's opposition so as to get back to a true monopoly posiiton so as to feather-bed the unions.
  4. Right, they've broken it, so buy it out.

Then give it the monopoly on ALL government, emergency and military lines, and essentially make it the civialian bit of R Signals, TCW and the Navy equiv. And swing all of DSCA in to it.

With a bit of Purple know how (but obviously mainly from the Signals) we can produce a comms section that DON'T manage to lose data left, right and charlie.

Give it hte funding to introduce more public phones in to the streets again, and fibre to every house. In disaster BT should be able to move out to (as a formed TA unit of the CCRF perhaps (Post Office Rifles) and connect the place again.

If we did it my way (Thanks Frank) the British people would already OWN Land Rover, Jaguar, BT and several banks.
  5. I think mobile broadband internet might well spell disaster for BT
    How many tens of thousands of BT line rental payers only have their landline because they have to? My broadband is provided by Sky, as are my telephone call/bills yet BT still charge line rental.
    Now I fully understand that thy prvide the infrastructure which is what we pay for but my mobile phone is cheaper than having a landline, when mobile broadband tips in cheaper enough I will bin the landline.

Its not far off now from being the same price to have a mobile phone (which I need for work anyway) and mobile broadband as it is to have the current mix and match package from Sky and BT
    Once that point arrives I Can see BT loosing in a big way.

I suppose BT being on a looser was inevitable, they have to prvide the infrastructure and other call providers get the cherry business without the maintenance costs, pretty much the same way in which the Post OFfice looses money by deregulation allowing competitors to take the nice profitable bits of business without the costs.
  6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I'm not suprised
    Finding that Sky was getting a bit expensive and BT were bombarding me with "come back to us" calls
    I decided to give them ago

Cancelled my one direct debit with Sky and set up with BT

Phone, Broadband and BT.Vision(TM)

First month Direct Debit goes out and then my broadband goes off
    So I rings the number and goes halfway round the world trying to sort it "sorry were the phone hotline can you call 0845...."
    Eventually gets through to be told I've not set up a DD for Broadband
    Argues I have but then gets told that I have to have 3 seperate direct debits all going out at different periods in time for Phone, Broadband and T.V.
    Explained that that nice Sky took one DD why couldn't they ?
    Told it's all separate companies and BT dosen't work like Sky

This was also after the BT man stood by his Van whilst my neighbour and I climed our ladders and cleared leaves off the pole so he could climb up
    Although he thought it was better to order a cherry picker and stand around for two hours till it came for a 10 minute job

Sky now on phone offering me HD for free and lots of nice deals all with one convenient DD

Guess where I'll be off?
  7. With or without mobile broadband, BT is reaching the end of the line. They never shed the 'civil service mentality' when they stopped being part of the Post Office. Since then, it's got worse instead of better.

I spoke to a bloke who works for them and he described taking nearly a year to get authority to spend a couple of hundred quid on a single disk drive for a server. He needed approval from numerous managers spread across three continents. The approval procedure changed half way through the process and he had to start again from the beginning.

Here's one for computer boffins. If you had a customer in South America that had to transfer big text files to you in England once a month, how would you do it? Secure FTP over the internet perhaps? FedEx a CD? Or would you send a team of engineers to Argentina for months to write custom ISDN modem drivers for the customer's mainframe, unaware that your faulty code is going to keep the international ISDN call open 24/7, thus landing your customer with a six figure phone bill at the end of the first month. Which option do you think BT chose?

The basis of BT's problem is that they're shedding skilled staff by offering generous voluntary redundancy terms to people they need to retain while the bureaucrats and wasters hang on like a parking ticket sticking to a windscreen. In some cases, people who have taken redundancy are re-employed as contractors on many times the salary. In other cases, they bring in Indians on ridiculously low wages to replace staff made redundant. Needless to say, a teenaged Indian school leaver on less than minimum wage isn't going to run your data centre very well.

With a 'matrix managed' infrastructure that can leave a single engineer reporting to and taking instructions from up to 14 different managers, BT simply cannot compete with smaller companies. When they finally lose the monopoly on the local loop (the piece of wire that comes out of your house) they'll be finished. They'll end up as a subsidiary of China Telecom or India Telecom who will take a flame thrower to the meeting facilitators, coaching consultants, diversity coordinators, flamboyant transvestites who meet customers dressed like Japanese prostitutes and, I kid you not, futurologists that are crippling the company.
  8. The problem is with B.T. is they over charge you for their service , Keep you waiting for hours to speak to a advisor if you have a problem because most of the employees are in another country .
    Lets hope B.T. sorts their company out and give the British public a better service
  9. Hmmm, Patricia Hewitt a non-executive director, Suggestions that the internet is as essential as gas and water (so we are all going to be taxed 6 quid a year). I think BT might be around for a while.
  10. They dont want to speak to you, Chubb because you're on another fucking planet. Isn't it about time you were dead?
  11. If that is Chubb, how the hell did she get to 60 posts without being banned?
  12. BT isn't going broke.

It is suffering from its Global Services division, which was meant to be the key growth engine, over-reporting forecast profits from some big IT projects. This has, to put it mildly, upset quite a few pension funds and other institutional investors.

The same investors would like BT to shed jobs more aggressively than it has previously. The management "remain committed" to avoiding compulsory redundancies (as BT has in the last 20 years going from @300k to less than 100k employees). It remains to be seen if it can do this.

BT does have a big pensions problem - a well funded final salary scheme, with a workforce with an aged profile where lots of engineers and managers are coming to the end of their careers and are waiting to retire.

But... Every piece of IP based communication, including wireless, mobile broadband is carried on BT network at some point. Most mobile firms contract with BT for data links from the mast to the backbone network. Local Loop unbundling has cannibalised their retail business (ie you get your phone from Tesco), but again, the backbone is all BT, as is most of the wholesale network. (Unless you fancy working with those lovely people from Cable and Wireless). Once BT manages to sort out its 21CN project (late, overbudget etc), which will improve the efficiency of the wholesale business, it will make even more money this way.
  13. Jebus, you can smell her or what? :?
  14. And therin lies the devil in the detail.... Regardless of your ISP/Telco providers various claims, without BT they're dead in the water. Until of course some numpty splurges what's going to be Billions of pounds to build a complete new network.

I always thought Local Loop unbundling was a scam, to be honest. The entire Infrastructure was built by GPO/BT out of taxes and profit, and some complete c**t comes along and orders then to give away access to THEIR infrastructure for damm near nothing. What other industry has ever been ordered to hand over access to their infrastructure built at their cost to a competitor..?
  15. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

BT are fcuking shocking - in the past 18 months I've been working directly for them on contract and then managing them for a client - in the first case, it took them the best part of three months to organise me a laptop and an email account, in the second, you wouldnt credit some of the excuses they came up with for not doing what they were supposed to.
    they have some fantastic technical staff and junior employees, and some managers I wouldnt trust to take a leak up against a wall without filling their left shoes to overflowing.