BT fined after fixing MoD calls

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blogg, Oct 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

"BT has been forced to pay the Ministry of Defence £1.3m in compensation after some of its staff met call-answering targets by phoning each other.

The National Audit Office found they fixed figures to help BT avoid fines for not answering calls quickly enough.

The targets were part of a £3bn Private Finance Initiative (PFI) deal to operate the forces' telephone system.

BT has sacked some of the "small number of staff" involved and the call centre concerned no longer operates.

The company has also paid £1,021,000 in service payments, the £122,000 cost of investigating the fraud and the £197,000 cost of the fake calls.

The call centre concerned, in Kettering, Northamptonshire, has been taken out of operation.

The National Audit Office, the public spending watchdog, said the discovery showed the need for better monitoring of the way such projects are being run.

Tory MP Edward Leigh, chairman of the Commons public accounts committee, described the incident as "a real-life Whitehall farce".

He said: "It says a lot about the MoD's oversight of its contractors that the department's systems failed to spot a serious fraud. "

Another PFI resulting in numbers games to no good effect? Ooh what a surprise. :roll:
  2. The call centre concerned, in Kettering, Northamptonshire, has been taken out of operation.

What BT with a UK operation that's a bit like all the Sharons and Brians i seem to speak to from Mumbai Islingtonshire!
  3. Perhaps BT are a bit like Nationwide. Their call centre staff introduce themselves and their location. Although the location is in England, clearly the staff are not indigenious.
  4. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

It's all the MOD's fault that BT were swindling us, then? I thought funding was for kit, not micromanaging contractors. The fraud got spotted anyway, so what's his problem?
  5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I think this happened before a few years ago,again with the MoD as I remember reading about it or seeing it on the news.
  6. So that's why I'm not allowed to do any overtime at the moment then. Call centre fuckwits spending it all as usual.
  7. nationwide most of there staff seem to be from the north I'm surprised telephony
    had reached let alone banking and the use of money :twisted: