BT cuts free evening calls by one hour

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by spike7451, Jan 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Robbin durty pikey tw@ts!

2. That wouldn't happen if O2 was at the helm would it? :)

3. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

BT is almost broke they have shed shitloads of staff and more to come the splitting of BT into openreach hasn't worked either and are looking to TUPE the staff into Carillion.

In a nutshell BTs trying toget money out of the bottom of the barrel for residential customers they offer feck all interesting or of value compared to Virgin/Sky and what I've been told yesterday they might take a further kicking as Virgin looks to move into other areas by alternate means :)

4. msr

msr LE

I don't use my landline for anything other than the internet: www.skype.com

5. I don't even use it for that. I've got cable internet and a Siemens VoIP phone. Just plug it in to the mains and internet and you're sorted.

It behaves just like an ordinary, cordless phone. Rings when somebody calls your number - no need for a PC or headphones. It allows you to dial any normal phone in the world for about a penny a minute and any internet phone in the world for free. There's no line rental either.

My phone bill has dropped from about £30 per month to about £2 per month. Not bad for an old geezer who thought Cat5 would need a litter tray.

Be very, very careful if you're on BT's scheme with free calls at the weekend. You may get a call offering you free calls in the evenings too, at no extra charge. What they wont tell you is that accepting the offer locks you in to BT for a year. You can't transfer to another supplier during this period.

BT are getting desperate. I heard they're losing 300,000 customers a month as well as having their call revenues squeezed down to nothing by their competitors. No business can endure that kind of pressure for long.

Their core problem is that they need to shed staff like there's no tomorrow but they wont implement a compulsory redundancy programme to get rid of the staff they don't need. As a result, they're offering increasingly generous terms for voluntary redundancy and skilled staff that they need to keep take the money and run.

I know of 3 blokes that were given six figure redundancy packages then immediately re-employed as freelancers on double their previous salary. That is not the action of a well managed company.

Meanwhile, those who effectively don't have a job cling like remoras to any passing project. I know a bloke who worked for one of their database projects. He and two others ran the database. Their employer had a team leader and a project manager managing them. BT duplicated the team leader and project manager an added another 15 champions, consultants and facilitators to manage 3 outsourced techies and a database that would fit comfortably onto an iPod.

6,000 BT sales staff accessed the database via a web site to order hardware for customers. BT bought the kit from America, paying in dollars. BT customers were billed in pounds or euros. Hence it was necessary to store the relevant exchange rates.

Despite having 19 managers involved, nobody had managed to update the exchange rate for years, as the rates went up and down like a yo-yo! They ended up selling Cisco routers for about 30% less than they were paying Cisco for them.

I fear corporate Darwinism is about to take its course with BT.

6. I have a BT line for the Internet. My landline is VOIP, and I make 99% of outbound calls on the mobile. For £14 a month, I get free mobile internet, unlimited texts and 1800 mins - which is more than I can use, even with work.

7. Phone calls more than an hour long? Surely this only affects the female part of teh country!!! :)