BSKYB Reserves Policy?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by emobug, Aug 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Firstly, as this is my first post, hello to all.

It looks like I might be going back to BSKYB after a couple of years away. I've just joined the TA and would like to know what the company's policy is re reserves?

I've had a scoot about but to no avail. Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. Have you contacted the HR Dept? They are usually quite helpful with these kind of things
  3. No, I've not re-interviewed yet, so it's early days.

However they're quite positive about my going back, so it would be useful to have a bit of info for my old boss should she be worried about it etc.
  4. I don't think they offer discounts to Regulars, so I doubt they'll offer one to you.

*Don't bother I've already been sat in the taxi for 10 minutes with my coat.
  5. The Sabre website is a good place to start looking, especially if BSkyB does not have a current policy.

Good Luck!
  6. Cheers for the replies,

I've had a look at Sabre to get a general idea of rights / responsibilities etc.

No worries, I'll just have a chat with them when I go in.

Just wondered if there are any BSKYB people on here that could give me the down-low.
  7. I worked at BSkyB some years ago, before I became a reservist but around the time when I was thinking of joining. I recall then that they had a 'supportive' policy and there was at least 1 reservist featured in the company magazine talking about how good they were.

How this actually translates into time off etc I couldn't comment.

I'd echo that HR is the logical place to start. Depending on what sort of level / package you are on you might be able to get some provisions written into your contract.
  8. Just make sure you tell them in interview! Apparently firms have the legal authority to dismiss you for not disclosing you're a reservist. Most firms are quite pro especially in the current political climate. I work for a large private bank & they were really pro (luckily for me). I even got a buckshee day off for the TA100 garden party!
  9. Good to know. Many thanks for the info, I had a feeling a company like that would be supportive.

Cheers guys.
  10. Indeed, I've heard about this, the way forward seems to be (sadly) not putting the reserves on your CV, but mentioning it at interview - at least that way you don't get binned at the first hurdle just for having TA on your CV!
  11. msr

msr LE

But it does save you a wasted journey.

12. Actually fella you're better off putting it on your CV, integrity & all that. Far better to be open & honest, you don't want to appear to be dishonest by not mentioning it & then dropping it on them. Plus they might find it an interesting talking point for your interview & they may even see the skills you bring as a positive. Far better to get binned earlier on than be disappointed later.

Also a buddy of mine is a line manager at BSkyB, i've sent him a message & am waiting out to hear from him.
  13. I put the TA down on my CV and anything I had gained through the TA, In the interview being interviewed by three people most of the conversation was to do with my time In the TA.
    Apparently It was a defining factor In getting the job over the other 12 people that applied, not saying this would be the case for everyone this was In the public sector.

14. Cheers Countrylad, the help is very much appreciated
  15. Have managed to get in contact with my mate he is going to ask HR tomorrow, wait out.