BSc (Hons) Building Surveying - Dissertation Help

happysapper

Clanker
Good afternoon all,

Not sure if this in the correct forum or not (I'll also post this on the DIY board) so I'd be grateful if the Mods could move/merge to the correct place.

I'm currently working towards the above degree on a part-time basis (I'm a reservist, so everything I do seems to be part-time), and to be honest this is the last hurdle in what has been a mission to complete!

Anyway, I'm looking for people to answer a short questionnaire on Google Forms (10 questions - 2-3 mins max) about their experiences of working in the domestic construction sector and their levels of understanding about asbestos.

I'm looking for people who are [probably] self-employed and [probably] only work on peoples' houses i.e. nothing commercial that would require risk assessments etc. So if you're a plasterer, brickie, 'general builder', roofer, chippy, painter/decorator etc but have 'fallen' into that job rather than followed any formal qualifications then you're the kind of person I'd be interested in hearing from via the survey. If this isn't you but sounds like someone you know - please forward them the link below.

The data gathered is anonymous and will be destroyed once/if I successfully graduate.

Link here: Asbestos Awareness Survey For the Self-Employed Construction Worker

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to participate.

HS

Done.

1000% easier than some of the dippy, touchy, feely, requests we get.

Done.
It's a big problem for the public, because they rarely recognise all the different asbestos products.

Apart from the asbestos/ cement roofing sheets, it was a popular choice as a cheap easy alternative to cast- iron plumbing goods, before plastics came on the scene.

I've come across it as......

Heating flues.
Guttering and down pipes,
Soil pipes.

Although it was widely used as lagging on commercial premises, at that time, no one really bothered lagging domestic pipework, except possibly a wrap of hair- felt lagging.

Long ago most tips had an asbestos skip for odd bits, but I've always just informed the customer of it's prescence, and told them to get in touch with the licenced removal people.

There used to be balls of it blowing around Armley in Leeds, they looked like those tumbleweed balls on cowboy films and the kids used to kick the stuff around.

Done! I have found that there is a general fear of asbestos but in current domestic and (since about 1970) in commercial premises, there is very little to worry about PROVIDING YOU ARE AWARE AND TAKE PRECAUTIONS.

happysapper

Clanker
I agree that if taking precautions, working in the vicinity of asbestos shouldn't be a problem or concern.

My reason for researching this topic is because of the feeling that this just isn't controlled or regulated in the same way as non-domestic premises where the Control of Asbestos Regs at least provides a clue on what should be done. If homeowners don't know if there's asbestos in their homes, how can they manage it?

I agree that if taking precautions, working in the vicinity of asbestos shouldn't be a problem or concern.

My reason for researching this topic is because of the feeling that this just isn't controlled or regulated in the same way as non-domestic premises where the Control of Asbestos Regs at least provides a clue on what should be done. If homeowners don't know if there's asbestos in their homes, how can they manage it?

In the US if you are buying a house, that is over a certain age then they advise on doing asbestos tests/inspection, likewise lead testing on the existing paintwork.

Survey didn't really apply to my experience (ex-welder, used asbestos gloves, sheets off insulation etc) and disposal of a shed roof, but best of luck with the degree. Still not got mesothelioma.

Issi

LE
It’s present in Artex and the old Marley floor tiles. Very popular in council houses of the 50/60’s.
I probably take 3 samples a week while doing insurance related surveys.

Issi

LE
Survey completed, and best of luck.
I did my B.Sc in Building Surveying when I left the Army yonks ago.