BSA: can anyone offer advice?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by jakeblues68, Aug 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of my offspring has decided it wants to be educated proper like and has informed me of its choice in boarding school.
    Problem is Mrs Blues is about to be the ex-Mrs Blues (sometime after the offsprog has started term)

If we have joint custody can I still claim BSA?

Any advice appreciated.

JB68

2. DELETED TO AVOID FURTHER CONFUSION - PLEASE READ PAYMASTER'S COMMENTS (below).

3. You must ensure that you fully comply with the rules for PStat 2 (look up the JSP752), this means that you will have to have sole full care and custody of the child (any joint orders will invalidate this), Child Benefit will have to be in your name, you will have to have MQ or own home at duty station for the child to stay in during the hols and there is a limit on the time she/he can stay with your ex.

Many exs' will be against this as they see as giving up the care of that child but if you explain just how much it is worth then just maybe she will agree.

So to answer your original question, if you have joint custody you will NOT be able to claim.

4. arrg, confused dot com

Even though I will have joint custody (even in the scchool hols) I am not entitled to a quarter as the area has no surplus MQ. The rule is (I am told) that I come bottom of the list for MQ, if I had full custody I would be a normal applicant for MQ.
    Child benefit is not in my name but Child Tax Credit is.

5. Yep - that's a much better way of putting it!

6. In that case I'm afraid you do not meet the criteria for PStat 2 and you will not be able to claim CEA at all, all is not lost though ~ why not have a look at the military sponsored schools DYRMS and QVS which do not charge formal fees only a parental contribution?

7. many thanks, i will have a read of JSP752. How will I know if the copy I have is current and up to date?

JB68

8. JB,

My brother went to DYRMS and loved it.

The relevant paperwork is downloadable here.