Brussels sprouts - bitter as hell?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by msr, Nov 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Does anyone have a good recipe which stops these evil mini-cabbages tasting as bitter as hell?

2. And put crosses in their bottoms.

Heheheeee, I said bottoms :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  3. When you say bitter do you actually mean bitter or just a horrible taste?
    If its bitter it means a bad crop and nothing will make them taste nicer.
    If its horrible to taste add chestnuts (doesn't make them any nicer just looks better) or a cheese sauce. I used to sprinkle vinegar over brussels sprouts and green cabbage to make them more enticing. But to be honest you either like them or not whatever you do.
  4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

You are buying them too early for a start. Like Sloes, Brussels should not be used until after the first frost; it helps break the cell structure down.

Cook until just past al-dente, drain off the water and leave in the warm pan for 10-15 minutes with a large nob of butter and some olive oil (and possibly some ground Nutmeg).

There are also several recipes on-line for cooking them with Lardons and Marrons, which as a classic dish works well.
  5. Jarrod, do not start. Do not say fat and ugly, or you will get in trouble. :wink:

Don't say fat. Don't say fat.
  6. I think it was an episode on Bottom where they made Sprouts Mexicane, I can't get on youtube on works PC but I'm sure you'll find it for yourself, enjoy.

On a more serious note, I boil mine and then honey roast them, they still taste firking awful though.
  7. He's ginger, what does he know?
  8. I agree Grem frost is important, some years ago I remember throwing all mine away on Christmas day because the taste was abysmal - no frost that year.

Will try your simple recipe though at Christmas. Cheers.
  9. A really simple recipe that makes them pretty damn tasty.

If your lazy you can get ready to eat/reheat ones straight from the tin.

Fying pan with a generous knob of unsalted butter on a high heat.

Add any particular spices you desire...I dont bother.

Slice the sprouts in half and drop in the pan.

Sear them until crispy.

10. I have a great recipe for Brussels, but the last time I offered a comment Jarrod yelled at me so I ain't posting it. :oops:
  11. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

For Christmas dinner, wait until roast potatoes are almost cooked, then throw prepared sprouts into the roasting tin for last ten minutes - delicious!
    Crisp and sweet.
  12. I find boiling them for a very very long time makes your house smell of the evil buggers. Much better to buy a bag of frozen prepped Brussels and just leave them in the bottom of the freezer. Have some spinach instead-bit of butter, some black pepper. Carrots are nice too
  13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

An invention of the devil and are his very own testicles. I am not sure they are even classed as food in some countries.
  14. MSR - The tips given above may well help. A not insignificant percentage of people fall into the category of being "Super Tasters" with a heightened sense of taste in certain areas:

Background info::

Take the test:

Edited to add:
    -Perceive all tastes as more intense than other taster types, particularly bitter tastes
    -Tend to be fussy about their food and have strong food likes and dislikes
    -Usually don't like coffee, grapefruit, cabbage, Brussels sprouts and spinach
    -Have lots of papillae, the tiny bumps on the tongue that contain taste buds
    Around 25% of people are said to be supertasters

Which Kind of Taster Are You?
    The Saccharin Test: Mix one pack of saccharin (Sweet'N Low) into two-thirds of a cup of water. Now taste the water. You'll probably taste a mix of both bitter and sweet, but focus on which taste is stronger.

If the sweet taste is dominant, it means you're probably an undertaster. If bitter is the dominant taste, it means you're probably a supertaster. If it's a tie, you are in the half of the population of regular tasters, so don't sweat it. Surely, you may have to do the test more than once to tease out differences.

The Blue-Tongue Test: Wipe a swab of blue food dye on your tongue and inspect the small circles of pink-colored tissue that polka dot the newly painted blue tongue. Those are called papillae. Then, put a piece of paper -- with a 4 mm hole, or the size of a hole punch in three-ring paper -- over your tongue.

Use a magnifying glass to count the little pink dots you see in the hole. If you count fewer then five dots, it means you're an undertaster, while more than 30 indicates you're probably a supertaster.
  15. Cut some smoked dry cured bacon into 1 inch pieces. Fry in oil until done. Grate your sprouts and stir fry in the bacon oil over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add to the bacon. You won't believe you're eating sprouts.