Brussels sets up £2million Barbados HQ with 39 staff to hand out hundreds of millions

Well done , your link leads to the same page as mine :wink:
Well done, you've just noticed that wail stories automatically parse the link if you cut and paste part of the original link.

Now, about this outrage on spending on schools and hospitals.

Move further down the bus please, make room for others getting on.

and stop playing with the bell!

Why the **** are UK taxpayers contributing to the building of schools and hospitals in Barbados? Let alone Banana Growers.

I have been there a couple of times and it is def not third world..........

Yet on another page we have .... Cash-in-hand work condemned as 'morally wrong' by Treasury minister - Home News - UK - The Independent

Typical big Government who have grown so far out of touch with their electorates it stinks.......

Uh, because we still OWN some of the islands listed in the outrage bus timetable?

"At the office just outside the capital of Bridgetown, staff hand out cash for projects in 10 Caribbean countries - Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Anguilla, Monserrat, the British Virgin Islands, Grenada and Dominica."

Uh, because we still OWN some of the islands listed in the outrage bus timetable?

"At the office just outside the capital of Bridgetown, staff hand out cash for projects in 10 Caribbean countries - Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Anguilla, Monserrat, the British Virgin Islands, Grenada and Dominica."
"We" may own them but "We" cant just up sticks and live there , that's only available to wealthy MP`s and the likes.

Codswallop what makes you think we 'own' all those?

There are 2 in that list with a remaining British Interest BVI and Anguilla.

Last time I was in the BVI (it was a day trip) it was crawling with superyachts and the rich and wealthy... For such a group of small Islands their Government Building would have put a big council's like Birmingham or Sheffield's to shame.

Branson keeps his pad down there as well. Wonder why that is..... There is no shortage of money in these places just a reluctance to tax the people who have it!!

Codswallop what makes you think we 'own' all those?

!

Allow me to help you with your reading comprehension skills…

I find it difficult to feel outraged about this.

First, Barbados is a Commonwealth Realm and I don't really object to a miniscule sum of money being spent there.

Second, the EU relies very heavily on the caribbean for certain foodstuffs it cannot produce itself, to such an extent that the Common External Tariff is disapplied there and for said food stuffs. A small amount of expenditure to secure this trade route is not something I am going to object to.

Third, most of the problems in Caribbean countries are the legacy of European imperialism, so this can be viewed as guilt money.

Allow me to help you with your reading comprehension skills…
That's a big list why did you not edit it? Wiki is your friend and will confirm only 2 states in that list are still British Protectorates...

That's a big list why did you not edit it? Wiki is your friend and will confirm only 2 states in that list are still British Protectorates...
T'was nothing stopping you reading it up on wiki while waiting to board the bus.
Some of us were well aware what bits we still owned, but obviously were remiss in not editing it down to Daily Sport level.

T'was nothing stopping you reading it up on wiki while waiting to board the bus.
Some of us were well aware what bits we still owned, but obviously were remiss in not editing it down to Daily Sport level.
Daily Sport readers couldn't find their arse with both hands let alone grapple with the geography of the Eastern Caribbean.

Your spin is worthy of the eminent spad Alistair Campbell implying the UK had a responsibility to all those Island States when you indeed knew that only two of them actually qualified.

Daily Sport readers couldn't find their arse with both hands let alone grapple with the geography of the Eastern Caribbean.

Your spin is worthy of the eminent spad Alistair Campbell implying the UK had a responsibility to all those Island States when you indeed knew that only two of them actually qualified.
As has been pointed out above, we still own some of the Islands and they produce foodstuffs we buy in the UK/EU and are popular tourist destinations, yet again with UK/EU nationals, and most of the locals with have familial roots with the UK and/or rights of residence.
And so, while some of you are very anxious to bite and gouge your way onto this bus, I regard this as a perfectly good and sensible expenditure of EU money to help out what are nominally 'our' people.

Antigua and Barbuda:
Monarch Elizabeth II

Barbados
Monarch Elizabeth II

St Kitts and Nevis
Monarch Elizabeth II

St Lucia
Monarch Elizabeth II

St Vincent and the Grenadines
Monarch Elizabeth II

Anguilla
We own it