Brussels sets up £2million Barbados HQ with 39 staff to hand out hundreds of millions

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by CptDanjou, Jul 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well done, you've just noticed that wail stories automatically parse the link if you cut and paste part of the original link.

Now, about this outrage on spending on schools and hospitals.
  2. Move further down the bus please, make room for others getting on.
  3. Sorry, I'll go sit at the back.
  4. and stop playing with the bell!
  5. Wasn't me!

6. Uh, because we still OWN some of the islands listed in the outrage bus timetable?

"At the office just outside the capital of Bridgetown, staff hand out cash for projects in 10 Caribbean countries - Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Anguilla, Monserrat, the British Virgin Islands, Grenada and Dominica."
    • Like Like x 1
  7. "We" may own them but "We" cant just up sticks and live there , that's only available to wealthy MP`s and the likes.
  8. So there are no British citizens in need in the Caribbean islands?
  9. Codswallop what makes you think we 'own' all those?

There are 2 in that list with a remaining British Interest BVI and Anguilla.

Last time I was in the BVI (it was a day trip) it was crawling with superyachts and the rich and wealthy... For such a group of small Islands their Government Building would have put a big council's like Birmingham or Sheffield's to shame.

Branson keeps his pad down there as well. Wonder why that is..... There is no shortage of money in these places just a reluctance to tax the people who have it!!

10. Allow me to help you with your reading comprehension skills…

11. I find it difficult to feel outraged about this.

First, Barbados is a Commonwealth Realm and I don't really object to a miniscule sum of money being spent there.

Second, the EU relies very heavily on the caribbean for certain foodstuffs it cannot produce itself, to such an extent that the Common External Tariff is disapplied there and for said food stuffs. A small amount of expenditure to secure this trade route is not something I am going to object to.

Third, most of the problems in Caribbean countries are the legacy of European imperialism, so this can be viewed as guilt money.
    • Like Like x 1