Brunei

Alright, I'm of to Brunei on exercise next month and staying in Sittang camp any body have any info on this camp as nobody knows what to expect been told there ain't even a shop there and you can't get fags anywhere anyone been there and could give a helping hand in the facilities and things to do around the camp cheers!

pan bash

Clanker
Well Sittang camp, if I'm thinking of the right one in Tutong is right in the middle of nowhere! There used to be a camp chogie who sold fags and soft drinks (the Sultan was having a bit of a crackdown on alcohol when I was there). The beach is just across the road, you may see a few fishermen but other than that zilch. There is a hell of a rip tide as well if your thinking of swimming. There was also a dhobi wallah on camp who would sort your kit out washing it in the river, other than that er........ .

Seria just down the road is where the Gurkha Inf Bn is / was stationed, not that there is much in Seria either but at least you have dear old NAAFI. There is / was a club for all the ex pats who work for Shell there as well but you had to weasel your way round them to try for an invite to it.

If the Gurkhas are still there, then take my advice, head for their PRI, hire their Toyota Landcruiser, fill it full of beer from the NAAFI and head for Sarawak, and a town called Miri. Bars, and houses of ill repute abound! Absolute heaven after Ex Palm Frond.

Oh, I suppose I should mention the last time I was there was 1987, but I bet it hasn't changed a bit!

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Miri is still well worth a punt after exercise, it's probably quite a bit more developed than in 1987 as lots of palm oil money runs through there. There's a strip in the middle of the town which houses most of the bars and nightlife. Recommend Khan's Islamic / Taj for mega street curries, and there's a standard westerner bar which isn't bad for drinks or pizza etc called the Ming Cafe.

Sure you can work out the rest of the night yourself.

Miri is still well worth a punt after exercise, it's probably quite a bit more developed than in 1987 as lots of palm oil money runs through there. There's a strip in the middle of the town which houses most of the bars and nightlife. Recommend Khan's Islamic / Taj for mega street curries, and there's a standard westerner bar which isn't bad for drinks or pizza etc called the Ming Cafe.

Sure you can work out the rest of the night yourself.
Also in Miri. Chaplins bar. and Cherryberries.

Brunei Is now under sharia law! Thanks for your feedback still don't know what to expect but I'll just have to suck it and see! Thanks anyway.

There in 1997, Jerudong Park was the free Alton Towers attraction but without queues, heard it's gone to pot over the last few years.
Labuan was a den of iniquity, very plush hotels but didn't encounter crowds of international clunge. The rest of the island was pretty sleazy with some dodgy 'fish retaurants'. Sometimes meet some decent types if you're a diver- check Brunei Divers.
Waiting to fly out of BSB and a fit sales assistant said they all drank at home - seek local advice.
Ex landlord used to be expat worker and was always going on about Miri - he was the most objectionable twat I, and numerous others, have ever encountered and I was told they're frequently like that so be prepared.
Remember lots of tourists go to cuddle orang utans in Sabah/Kalimantan etc so you might trap a tourist - particularly if you are ginger and spectacularly ugly.

Have fun

Latest Threads