Bruggen, Wildenrath, Bracht and Birgelen

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Smoking_Sigs, Jul 29, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Many of you might know that the new ELMPT STATION, incorperates what was RAF Bruggen and utilises MQs remaining at Wildenrath, Birgelen and Bracht.

I am putting together a intranet page for Elmpt station and am looking at including some history of the station. There is a site at the moment but that just concentrates on RAF Bruggen and totally forgets birgelen!!

I know Birgelen was 13 Sig Regt with more info available at -
    Javelin barracks was RAF Bruggen
    Wildenrath estate is all that remains of Wildenrath station with more at

But I have little on Bracht .. I know it was a stores depot RAOC then RLC but little else - Anyone got anything more??

Any more info (including pictures/maps) of any of these camps would be appreciated.
  2. birgelin is mainly civil servants and teachers now !
  3. Bracht, or 3 Base Ammuniton Depot (3 BAD), was supposed to be the largest Ammunition Depot in western Europe covering 1200 Hectars until the 1st April 1996 when it was handed back to the German authorities. No photos I'm afraid and I'm not too sure there will be anything to see there any more as the German authorities of NRW spent 3,150,000 DM turning it into a 'Nature Park'.
  4. if letting it rot away and not demolishing the buildings is a nature reserve , well feck me ! some of the housing where i live fits that bill! as far as i am aware nothing has been done , apart from remove all fixtures and fittings and close the gates ! i was there @2yrs ago as part of some walk that the sqn chiefs had dreampt up ...
  5. RTFQ

Ask the ATs in the RLC forum. Entitle the thread "does anyone remember the the leopard lounge?"
  6. [​IMG]

Thats a sat photo of what is left of 3 Base Ammunition Depot, Bracht. Since its hand back to the Stadt, the land has become a nature reserve, and is open to the public to walk through etc.

Most of the buildings have gone now, some of the railway sidings and guard sheds etc do remain however. Most of the ammo storage buildings have been removed but their foundations remain with their earth banks.
  7. I was stationed at 614 Signal Troop (Park) attached to 3 BAD Bracht, from 1962 to 1965. Then from 1965 to 1967 we were than attached to 15 ABOD Viersen as 608 Signal Troop. Have a couple f Pisccies from that time.. Interested??

8. Get in touch with O2theif he was stationed there
  9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I still have my 'welcome to RAF Bruggen' book.Ill dig it out
  10. Have loads of information on 3 Bad as was posted there in 1984 will give info and web links to RAOC websites : pixie24